Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Combos

Default Kodiak Combos

Flor and I jut got back from our first trip to Kodiak. We booked a trip with forum sponsor Kodiak Combos, based in Old Harbor. I spoke with Jeff and he informed me that we could access areas that have been known to have both goats and deer, and do some fishing if we liked. Flor and I signed up for RG480 and got our deer tags. We flew into Kodiak and then walked across the parking lot to Island Air, we enjoyed a beautiful flight to the village of Old Harbor. Jeff greeted us at the plane and gave us a ride to meet our host, the accommodations were beyond our expectations and meals were incredible.

We took advantage of the great weather and headed off for goat country. We enjoyed a comfortable ride in the heated cabin of Jeffís boat. Jeff dropped us off at the base of a ridge that lead up to some great looking goat country. We quickly spotted some goats and started working our way up. Flor and I both got a lesson in Kodiak Botany, we fought our way above the nasty and found a nice deer trail and moved up the ridge. The weather was fantastic and we had an incredible view. As we got above the vegetation line we started getting into terrain that was very climbable, but was just beyond my comfort level. The lower goat turned out to be a Nanny with a little one hidden close by. We saw 3 others that were on top. We spotted a couple bears and several deer from our vantage point. We spotted a nice buck and decided that we would try for him instead.
    We spotted this bear on the ride out.

The Goats were on top of the hill in this photo.

The buck give us the slip in the thick stuff, we however did see several other deer and one small buck. He was hard in the rut and was bird dogging like crazy. We enjoyed a late lunch and headed down to meet Jeff at the beach. We headed back to Old Harbor and Jeff told us about Old Harbor and what it was like to live there. We returned to the Inn and shared an awesome dinner with our host.

The next day was a nasty weather day, sideways rain and 50 MPH winds, Flor and I decided to enjoy the dry lodging. I must say it was very nice to weather the storm in comfort. Flor and I spent a cozy day on the couch and that was quite nice as well.

Wednesday the winds shifted and we were able to at least try for deer in some of the lower areas that were cloud free. We were dropped off and we headed up a tidal flat then up into a nice drainage. Once in the trees we could see a lot of deer sign, we worked our way into the wind and rain. We were headed for some high ground to glass from when Flor spotted a nice buck and doe.

I quickly looked him over and decided that I would try to take him. He started running of course. So we began our dance of death, move and countermove, he stopped on the edge of an alder thicket and gave me a broadside shot. I was lost in the hunt, heart racing trying to catch my breath, my scope was wet from the pursuit through the head high brush. I brought my rifle to my eye, found the shoulder and fired. I could see through the scope that I had hit him, I quickly moved downhill through the thicket and found my self staring at the buck. I was quite happy with my first buck and to harvest him while hunting with Flor made it even better.

The weather was not getting any better so we took some photos and got to work. We quartered the buck up and got packed for our trip to the boat. Jeff spotted us heading down and was able to pick us up near the tree line, saving me a pack through some thick brush. It was some nice to ride back to Old Harbor in the warm cabin of the boat.

Great report and picts, Steve.

The next day brought weather that was too much for us. We decided to rest and have a look around the town. Flor and I both enjoyed learning about Old Harbor, itís culture and itís people.

For our last day we decided to try some fishing, the skies were clearing but the wind was still blowing hard. We found some protected water and had a great time trolling and caught and released several halibut. The day passed quickly and before we knew it our time was over. We headed back to pack up for our flight back home. We did not get a goat but we could have. The opportunity was there, we were just not quite up to the climb and bad weather prevented an other try. We did get a nice buck and have some meat for the long winter. Flor is already talking about going back for Kings this spring. Jeff always gave us a VHF radio, and was always fishing nearby ready to pick us up whenever we were ready. Sure was nice to have a warm boat to get into after a cold wet day.

We had a wonderful time and were sad to leave, we both feel like we left with friends in Old Harbor. I would highly recommend Kodiak Combos, first rate service and the lodging and food were incredible. We had home made meals for breakfast and dinner and an awesome bag lunch to enjoy in the wild. We look forward to returning soon.

Steve and Flor

Thumbs up

Steve looks like you and Flor had a great trip to Kodiak! That buck looks like he had a good sized body on him and love that pic of his head poking out of your pack.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Steve and Flor,

Congratulations on a awesome hunt. I looks like you to had a great time down there. I find it more fun to take your time and enjoy yourself and the things around you. It's not always about the hunt, it's about the people and places and memories you share.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Wow sounds great. I am going out with Jeff the 16th. Do you think it would be worth while to get a goat tag?

Sounds like a great time. Looking at the photos brought back some good memories too. I spent 15 days camped in that bay with a bear permit 3 falls ago and got a buck very close to where you got yours.
    Thank for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
    Wow sounds great. I am going out with Jeff the 16th. Do you think it would be worth while to get a goat tag?
    Pretty sure it's a drawing hunt.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default The Great Outdoors

Sounds (and looks) like a great way to enjoy the great outdoors and great hospitality at the same time. I will definitely have to look into that place! My interest is really starting to peak on hunting blacktails after reading all the recent posts regarding hunting deer. I will have to add to my list of hunts to do.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post

Yes. It is a new registration hunt RG480

Steve

Thanks for the sharing, great pics and report. Looks like a great trip, that blacktail has gotta be tasty!

Looks like a great hunt no wonder Kodiak combos is booked a year in advance.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Thanks for the sharing, great pics and report. Looks like a great trip, that blacktail has gotta be tasty!

We are going to have some for dinner tonight. We brought back more than a buck from Kodiak, we both have been down with the flu. Even gave it to my Mom. We are all just starting to get back on our feet.

Default Kodiak

Stid,

Thank you for the pictures and write-up. I always enjoy reading your stories. Goat is moving to the top of my list.

Randy

I really want a goat. I may have to accept that it may just be unattainable without a strong partner. I'm just not able to get around like I once could. I'm still going to try again, if I can find someone to share the passion with. If anyone is interested in goat hunting with an old goat next year PM me. I'm going to try to draw a tag next year. They sure are a majestic animal.

Steve

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default thanks for the plug!

FYI, 2 guys went up for goat on thier first day Monday and got to 350yds at at 430pm, and passed on the shot due to time! they went up the next morning and didnt make it down till 730PM, Larry limited on kings today and shot a deer yesterday. Thanks for the business and thanks for serving.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast