Thread: Tough Cod Meat ?

Default Tough Cod Meat ?

Anybody else found the meat along the skin side of the fillet towards the tail to be tough and stringy on Pacific Cod?

Caught and kept about 10 of these at Homer, they were all pretty good size, bled immediately, kept cool & had no worms. Most of the fillet is fine, but the meat near the tail on the skin side is tough.

This was true from day one, all meat is nicely vacuum packed and has no freezer burn.

Does not seem to matter if cooked in soup, baked, or whatever

Is this typical?

If so, I guess you could just not keep that portion to start with.....

Save for halibut bait...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

My wife likes pacific cod better than halibut. I have seen worms migrate out of the stomach into the meat as soon as the fish dies as like in the fish hold before you go back to shore to clean them. Has anyone else observed this? Anyway I now fillet the fish as they come on board and it eliminates much of the worm problem As for the tail section being tuff I have never observed this but it may be that the tail section being thinner gets overcooked?

It's easy to make cod tough. Two ways in fact.

First, and what probably happened to you, is cutting and freezing it while it's in rigor. The best cod texture-wise isn't filleted and frozen until after it's gone soft again after being stiff, or if it was cut and in the freezer before it started into rigor. And best is to freeze it really fast, which isn't going to happen if you put a boat load of fish in a home freezer.

Second way to make it tough? Thaw it and refreeze it or freeze it really slowly. Best sign that you have refrozen or slowfrozen cod (or pollock or whatever) is that it releases a whole lot of juices when you thaw it.

People actually eat Cod? Thats like eating at Skippers and thinking you had a gourmet meal!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    People actually eat Cod?
    Cod supports some of the most important fisheries in Alaska. Yes, people do eat them.

Absolutely! And around the world, too.

No halibut-snobs in this household. At last count we have 14 species of fish in our freezer. All are different and all are good when you treat them right, and cod is one of the best and most versatile. In fact, we prefer it to halibut for day-in, day-out eating. But treat it wrong, and it's as bad as any other fish that's been mistreated.

Not this person, Yuk. If I have a hankering for Cod I'll go to Skippers or buy VandKamps (which I don't do). I'll spend my pennies and time on Rock fish/Halibut/Ling any day of the week. I applaud those of you who do eat it, cause someone's got to I guess!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Sable fish or black cod is the only cod I save room in my freezer for.

we too prefer cod to halibut, i will buy 100 lbs or more when the jig fisherman start landing it this winter.
    halibut is okay, but give me black cod (not a cod, btw), feeder king, or rockfish first...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Cod rocks! Especially black cod. I love my halibut too, but let's not knock good fresh cod! I remember growing up in Georgia many years ago, the best fish we could get was cod. There is a reason why it got fished to near extinction in the north atlantic. Even in Seattle now where only 15 years ago cod was considered common place and nothing to get excited about, it's treated much differently now and fetches high prices. It's probably like anything else, the more common it is, the less desireable it is and vice versa.