Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arctic Oven Tent ?

Default Arctic Oven Tent ?

Could someone let me know what you think of the Artic Oven tents and what size did you utlize.

I've spent alot of time in a 10 x 10. It is a palace for two people. Warm and roomy, easy to set up, will stand the wind if you guy it properly and alot. A person can stand up in it so long stays are comfortable. An Arctic Oven won't sweat because of the material it is made off and it is all set up for putting a stove in for keeping warm down to to serious cold temps. I don't own one at this time, but it's on my wish list. Get one if you can!

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    Could someone let me know what you think of the Artic Oven tents and what size did you utlize.
    8x8 GREAT for two people. A lot of other good tents, but none of them closer than a distant second for usage and design.
    (I really like them!) Just think of the tent as the "Swarovski" of the tent world

Joe (Ak)

My trapping partner and I spent over 20 nights in his 10 x 10 last winter. They are a home away from home IMO. We had two cots and the stove in there and it was comfortable.

Default 10x10

I've seen these at the shows. I can see how it would be really roomy for 2 people, but how many can it reasonably hold? Could it sleep 4 guys while still having a stove going?

Richard

how snuggly do you 4 want to get ;-) ??

I have used 8x8 for 2 people with cots and small stove. Go 10x10 minimum.

I originally purchased a 10x10 and I ended up returning it and getting the Arktika, which I'm glad that I did. Our tent has more than enough room for me, my wife and junior to each have our own space and still be able to walk around and get dressed or whatever.

It's a great tent and can be heated with only a lantern down to 30 degrees or so.

Default You can do 4 in a 10x10

I have pulled off almost a week sleeping four in a friend's 10x10 Arctic oven with the stove in it. No cots - just sleeping pads and bags. It was cozy, and I'm actually a little surprised nobody's sleeping bag got singed by the stove, but we made it work. It can be done.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

The artika is on a short list of winter tents that I really want. So short in fact that it is the only tent on the list...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The artika is on a short list of winter tents that I really want. So short in fact that it is the only tent on the list...
    +1 on that. My famliy and I looked at tents exhaustively last year and finally decided on the Artika for our family of three. The AO10 would probably work fine but the extra room would likely be handy and if you ever brought 4 folks on a trip you'd be liking it.

Downsides- Cost- so much so that we're still saving for one and borrowed a friends rather awful tent several times over the summer.

Who makes the Artika? Interestingly, when you google it the first two responses are from this thread and another on this forum. But I didn't find the manufacturer of the tent. The Arctic Oven looks awesome, I'd like to compare the two.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Here is the website with the different sizes offered and pricing...the arktika is just a bigger (hexagon shape) version of the arctic oven and they are made by Alaska Tent and Tarp.

http://www.alaskatent.com/sales/arct..._brochure1.pdf

Default Just slept in

an 8x8 this weekend. The spark arrestor clogged up and stove quit burning. I said heck with it and just went to sleep. Was about -15 that night. Stayed warm still in double sleeping bags. GREAT TENTS! The 8x8 is a great 2 person tent. Doesn't take much to stay warm in it.

Default Artika

We have slept 5-6 people on a few different week long hunts in the Artika. Little snug but you can actually use all the space in these tents since the walls don't sweat. There is no need to have all your gear away from the walls taking up more space. Also we use a little buddy heater instead of the stove in the fall. I don't leave the heater running all night; just before we hit the rack and a couple of minutes before we get up(I start it back up from my sleeping bag). That saves on sleeping space and on packing in space. Even though if you are carrying in an Artika you are not to worried about weight. I also have a AO10x10 Tall and it is more than adequate for the average size family or four hunters. My wife and I went camping in the spring- around beginning of march probably 15 degrees outside- and we took my daughter's pack and play and set it up in there for her to sleep in(since she was around 15 months old at the time). I kept the stove going all night an the wife and I slept on top of the covers because it was probably 80 degrees in the tent. Great tents. Don't by the AO10 Tall if you are under six foot it could become a pain to set up. I am 6'2" and I am about the only one in my family who can hook up the top rings. My little brother who's 5'11" can barely do it but it is a stretch. I hope that helps

Default stove / heater

Seeing that some people heat their tent with a lantern, the AO stoves are too small to heat all night or too big and hot, would it make sense to get an indoor safe propane heater to use in the AO?

I was at AIH today and noticed they had Mr. Buddy heaters on sale. I thought one of these would be a good way to go. You can change the temperature settings, the propane would hold out all night, etc.

Any thoughts?

Richard

I'm scared to death of running unvented propane appliances in a spot I'm going to sleep in regardless if the maker says its safe or not. Call it paranoid but I'm thinking caution is the better route on that subject.

At best you'll have a lot of water vapor from the burner to deal with- not sure the tent fabric could keep up with it. At worst you won't wake up at all.

A vented propane heater utilizing the chimney hole would be a nice feature although I'm unaware of one at the moment.

I have an AO 10 that I used last year and heated with a buddy heater. The tent kept up with the moisture output of the heater and with the heater on low the tent stayed about 55 degrees on the inside with an outside temperatures around 7 degrees F. When we took the tent down their was a bunch of ice on the inside of the tent fly but the inside of the tent was moisture free. I was very impressed.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Seeing that some people heat their tent with a lantern, the AO stoves are too small to heat all night or too big and hot, would it make sense to get an indoor safe propane heater to use in the AO?

I was at AIH today and noticed they had Mr. Buddy heaters on sale. I thought one of these would be a good way to go. You can change the temperature settings, the propane would hold out all night, etc.

Any thoughts?

Richard
    "...Any thoughts?..." YES - BUY A SLEEPING BAG THAT IS ADEQUATE FOR THE EXPECTED TEMPERATURES. BURNING MANY OF THESE "ALL NIGHT" HEATERS IS A GREAT WAY TO "WAKE UP DEAD".
    GO buy a good rubber hot water bottle - make a nice polar fleece cover - fill with hot water (the water bottle not the fleece) and have warm feet ALL NIGHT LONG.
    Joe (Ak)

Default AO stoves

They work fine, they just aren't air tight, so you will have to wake up and put wood in the stove. Not a big deal as you can just lean over and do it. I am going to have a "small" airtight stove made, so it will be possible to put stove on a low burn and make it last longer. I slept in mine at -15 with no heat and it really wasn't bad if you have the right sleeping bag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast