Thread: Ice Fishing= Its On!

Default Ice Fishing= Its On!

Fished two Valley Lakes this weekend. 5 1/2" on the first, 3 1/2" on the second. I was very safe on both, but advise caution going out to anyone with the hankering. Punch a hole right away within a couple feet of shore to check ice depth, and I use a spud bar to bang the ice as I walk. If she spiders, I beat feet back to shore. Caught 4 bows in 2 hours, nothing huge.

5 and half aint bad. But 3 and half is pushing it. Heard people were out on Finger the other day that is putting your life in your hands this early.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

hey bros so i go today to an anchorage lake with my auger...drill a hole off the dock.....its 1-1/2" but then an old dude walks out on the lake...he says ice is over 4", but at the dock people were breaking and keeping it open....hes right.....i caught a few small trout though! i made out like a bandit at BJ's sports today!

Release Lake Trout

Pike, its all about experience levels. I do not recommend a novice ice fisherman to go out on early ice until there's 4 inches or better. There are many variables that factor into early ice safety. Always understand that it is ice underneath you, not solid ground, and carry a good dose of respect with you. There are many links for ice safety out there- this is a good one from North Dakota that uses 4" as its threshold. http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/ice_fishing_safety.php
    And another from army corp of engineers- note 2" will hold 200 pounds safely (shown as ".1 ton") http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/ice_fishing_safety.php

That said, the ice on Sunday and Monday was clear, black ice, with little and no snow cover. The storm we just had last night added a lot of weight to the ice surface, which will create overflow. Until it gets a chance to freeze up again, I advise EXTREME caution in venturing out. With anywhere from half a foot to over a foot of fresh, heavy snow, I wouldn't go very far out on anything less than half a foot, and would certainly follow ALL the suggestions from the North Dakota safety page.

Default The nephew

The nephew, niece, sister and wife all had a great time. Here's my nephew and his big catch of the night on Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images