Thread: Caribou among us.

Default Caribou among us.

There were quite a few bands of Caribou out on the river frnt of town yesterday and today.
    My neighbors piled up a few on their meat stands and I was impressed.
    Nice fat females and in really good trim, clean'd very well....Well anyway we have been checking our nets tward eveing about 4;00 before sundown and we walked down to the river and I saw fresh Caribou traks along the willows.Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    We got to the net and there are several trails that have appeard since yearterday...Hmmmmmmmmmmm
    My son was somewhere, getting a sled load of fire wood, and said hed be right down to help us check and he watches the sun well enough to know when, as were usually wrapped up at dark and we need the ride and sled.
    Me and a pard, Jeff were about 150 feet apart as I pulled up the net and he was letting the slack off. Its good to keep tention on the net, so It dosent catch ona funny peice of ice.Pulling a loaded net is not easy, especially when the ice has been made level and slick so as not to catch on the webs......sometime it IS a pain in the ass, litterally. Ice is harder nowdays, I think.....Ouch.
    As we check'd our net , my oldest pulled up on my machine , rifle in hand and declared his intentions apon a band of Caribou moving tward the river, to wait next to the high bank of the Island ,and hope they take the trail made by the last bunch he had watch'd from the high bank, and off he went. Basicly, hed be standing next to a highbank and stay still, as the Caribou came out of the willows and walk across the river, about a 1/4 mile wide. A nice broadside line of Caribou about 50 yards away can be quick and fun
    Well, I would have gone, but he already was......but I sure wished he'd pulled with me for a minute.....

I got back to pulling and watching all the fish emerge from the hole when I looked up to see a big fat female Caribou running behind Jeff. I yelled to him and he looked very suprised and pointed at me. I could hear something too, so I turned to look and there was another big fat Female Caribou running in the same direction as the other, straight into town. We could hear dogs going off all over...~~LOL!!~~
    A Honda that was pulling a cart came around the bend of the river at a fair clip, and the pair went straight up in among the houses , full tilt.
    The people on the ATV came and asked about the net, and hadnt even SEEN the Caribou ~~LOL!!~~
    What entertainment!

About 15 minutes later The son arrived , having passed on a bunch of yearlings, and a couple bulls.~~LOL!!~~ "Shoulda helped with the net" we told 'em
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Cool story, thanks for sharing man. Sure miss the place. NW Alaska is special. A friend of mine is up in Kotz now working and sent me this pic the other day. Looks like a few bou are around

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Smile

Thanks for the update. Just curious...is the river frozen all the way already and if so what the heck are you catching in the net?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Ya Dan, that looks like Sisolik in the background, so I'm thinking that picture,its litterally "Right in front of Kotz"

Solly, the river is frozen all across, about 10 inches thich right now and growing.
    Weve been catching Whitefish, Tiktallik (a kinda Burbot) some Sheefish, and a Pike.
    The bummer is that the river froze about 3 1/2 weeks later than normal, and we missed the big score on Whitefish full of eggs. All weve gotten are eggless....

Its all good, and after lunch, Im off. The Caribou I caught Monday are fat, so Im gonna get some for the neighbor,with his gas, who is no fan of "Fat" ~~LOL!!~~ I know where to give my skinnys
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....