Thread: Point McKenzie

Default Point McKenzie

Was on a ride up to the B-29 crash site this weekend and I could see the whole valley from up there. I could see all the ponds, pot holes, and lakes out on Point McKenzie. This got me thinking. With the flyway coming down the Susitna river, the farm fields out there, and the numerous potholes it stands to reason that this might be a great spot to hunt. It is frozen now but I can just imagine the possibilities come next fall. Any thoughts? I'm gonna head up there and see if I can get in with some of those farmers and check the area out lemme know if anyone hunts up there and can offer up any advice. I know no one will give up any secrect spots (and I wouldn't ask anyone to) but I've done enough waterfowl hunting to know that this area has potential!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

From the air there is a lot of habitat to view out there. Having flown the area several times at very low altitudes during the fall I kept looking for ducks. I know from Mud Lake hunting that there can be a lot of ducks hidden in the grass and you can't see them from lake level. Being up in a plane at 500 ft allowed me to look right down into hundreds of ponds.

I saw no ducks. There were lots of swans in one beaver dammed stream, but no ducks to be seen from the air. I would like to know what the swans were eating and have tried to figure out where that stream was between the Su and Lil Su.

This fall I stopped looking for ducks and started looking for habitat similar to Mud Lake and the Hay Flats. I found one lake out northwest of the Su with similar grass/sedge habitat out of thousands of ponds and lakes. There were some sloughs off the lower part of the Little Su that had some habitat.

What I have guessed from my flights over the area and some walking around out there over the years is that the majority of the ponds are too acidic or anerobic from the rotting tundra to support the right kind of plants or chironomids used for food by the ducks. Looking at the majority of the ponds they are muskeg right up to the water and the water is dark tundra brown. No grasses for seed food. No obvious mats of water plants floating on the surface could be seen on calm days. Alaska has a lot of wetlands, but not all of it is duck habitat. A good deal of it is just rotting swamp.

I have been to some cabin sights along the lakes out Burma Road, and have seen a couple of ducks on those lakes, but not enough to bother trying to hunt them. Most those lakes, even the ones off the road have a privately owned shoreline making access an issue.

Other guys have made the same post as you and have never reported back on their findings. Either they hit the mother load and refuse to tell anyone or they never found anything to report. I would bet it was the latter.

I wish the fields over there had barley rather than hay. The geese can come into the hay since they are serious grass eaters, but ducks would rather be on small grain like barley. If I was into farming and had some fallow land like they do over there I would do it up like Pauls Pond down in eastern Washington. 2 acres of 2 foot deep water surrounded by barley with a gentle slope to allow the ducks to walk out of the pond and feed. Maybe even some moist soil milo crops and then flood those while standing.

I have met old timers that used to take their Big Red trikes out onto the Lil Su flats from Burma Road back in the 1970's and duck hunt so there are birds around, but they might not get off the coast where all the food is.

I did a fly in trip once about 3 yrs ago to a lake which name I have forgotten right close to the Buluga river, it was lined with duck shacks and 3 of us limited every day for 3 days in a row. It was quite good, wish I had a plane to go back there more often. I know there are numerous duck shacks on the susitna flats and that sometimes the hunting there is quite good. I've often wondered about Flathead lake, I've been there by snowmachine and it appears quite large ahd shallow in many areas, would think it would hold ducks. And I have spoken with some who run down the little Su and hunt the flats off the river down there(beware of bore tides if u try it). Too late for this year, but does anybody know if there is a boat launch at Pt McKenzie. There is one just below the small landing strip near Goose Bay, very steep but doable I think. Would like to try launching there and hunting Goose Bay area on a incoming tide sometime, I know some who have walked into Goose Bay area and have done well. Bud

I still think there is some potential up there. I hear what you're saying Ray and have seen that in some of the aerials of the area. I know there is some areas up there that ducks and geese frequent, just gotta find them. There's just to many reasons why there should be ducks there for there not to be any there. Gotta go up there and check it out
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I agree with what Ray said about the ponds in that area (and most others) being too acidic to support ducks (or anything). The fields are all hay, and the only birds I have seen in them consistantly are cranes (in the fall). Hay is cut in July, and there is really no great quantity of food for ducks or geese in them come fall. Unlike grain fields, where there is a lot of waste grain from harvest, it just aint so with hay. In the spring however.....those fields are thick with geese. But, we cant hunt spring.