Thread: Good shot or bad shot?

Cool Good shot or bad shot?

I got first blood finally with my 375 ruger after two seasons hunting with it.
    Me and my partner bumped into a button buck about a hundred yards downhill on a ridge at about 1000ft elevation last week. He saw it first. He was standing on a log about 8 ft off the ground. He pointed out the deer and ran off the log to get a different shot. I jumped up on the log to see and went farther down it than he did and asked if he had a shot yet he said no so I said im takin it. he said ok. Offhand with a pack on sucking wind and standing on 20 inch wide log. The deer was quartering away looking back at us. I hit high with the 375 ruger with the 270 grain tripleshock. I spined him and lost most of the strap because of the angle. Im a meat hunter so thats a big downer for me. I usually use a rest no matter what at all cost. But I felt good about the shot for some reason. But if not so high say 3 inches lower as I intended It woulda been a perfect rib pass thru exiting the ribs before the far shoulder.
    On a lighter note the first day hunting I saw two other deer in the high timber. One was a forky built like a tank. I bumped into him not more than 25 feet away broadside. I popped the scope caps had him zeroed and when the safety went click he launched and ran over a few yards from my partner but he was in a low spot and couldnt see him and the sucker disapeared not 50 yards away seems like they are good at that in the timber. We got another one later in the week afeter the 4 days of gails blowing and rain that came to the call on a dead run. But its been so warm they are still way up there.

Default Nicely done

Way to go. It's good to hear that people are having some success. I popped one a couple weeks ago that came into the call. I'm heading out on Wednesday with a plan to get some elevation and do a little calling.

Default Need the snow.

They are way up there still. No rubs in the muskegs yet. We got 2 buttons. The big ones are still hanging high. We would have went for the snow level but not enough daylight to make the the climb.

Not to be a downer, but if you have to ask us, it's probably already in your head that it was a bad shot.....(grin).....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I think you did well enough, you killed it dead and it didnt get away. Most meat is better than no meat.
    I consitter myself an OK shot, and sometimes Mars is in line with the Moon on a Tuseday, with resistance from the remenats of Haleys comets tail and our atmosphere, you were thrown a bit off with the space/time conteunum........and it happens to the best of us.

For some reason, I dont know why, but when I **** up a shot, I "know" if it was bad (or not) just about when the noise of the shot ends.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Sounds like you made a clean kill, which is normally a good shot, but is nearly always an okay shot. Can't say if you should have waited and had a steadier shot for less meat damage. I will say that waiting for a good shot will sometimes give you no shot, so it is often best to take what you get when you get it if it's an okay shot. Congrats any way, he'll be tender and you've got a memory you'll not forget.

Smile good shot

I didnt just pop one off. I made steady aim and timed my breath and actually aborted the first trigger squeeze because I was not steady. On the second try I torched it off. It was just a long shot for me to take offhand. Being 6 inches off target with a 100 yard offhand shot in a hunting situation can happen to anybody I think.You probably just dont notice it as much as far as meat loss goes on a large moose or a bear. Some guys shoot moose in the spine intentionaly. But thats not a good shot on a blacktail deer no matter what your shooting. I think it was a good shot though it just hit a little high. I was just loookig for A little constructive critisism.

Well theres two ways I see this:

ruined backstrap=terrible shot.

or

dead is dead and dead=meat in the freezer

Id probably be pissed at myself for a while. But.. you got the tenderloins still.. so not all is lost.

Smile learning curve

Yes you got some meat and worked on your learning curve which everyone has. But constructive feedback is you have to be very careful about the meat, especially with smaller animals. I almost try to visualize what I want to eat and dont shoot anywhere near that now! Cause once I was looking for a meat animal and shot a smaller deer that was facing me with my 7mm. Suffice to say not a good situation as the bullet did tremendous damage. Would have been a better situation for a head/neck shot in my case or wait for him to turn....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I grew up chasing wiley whitetails in farm country and offhand and snapshooting were the rule. Rarely did I ever have time to take the rest that I am allowed now when chasing moose or caribou. Yes, sometimes the shot wasn't in the boiler room, but there was rarely a blood trail that didn't end with a punched tag, ya done good. Many times the situation dictates how the hunt goes down. Now, if you took an offhand at an antelope at 300 yards, that would be a different story.

The next time you take an offhand, you may snipe it right in the heart and look like a hero, or clip it's spine and drop it in it's tracks...and be a sheepish hero. I think every hunter has been in this situation and we all ask the same thing of the hunting gods....If I should miss, let me miss clean...

Any hunter that says he's never clipped a backstrap or tenderloin is either one heck of a shooter, or he hasn't shot much.

Talking Cool

Either way you got the deer so yeah meat in the freezer.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

I think you need a bigger gun for those deer

Wink learning curve

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Yes you got some meat and worked on your learning curve which everyone has. But constructive feedback is you have to be very careful about the meat, especially with smaller animals. I almost try to visualize what I want to eat and dont shoot anywhere near that now! Cause once I was looking for a meat animal and shot a smaller deer that was facing me with my 7mm. Suffice to say not a good situation as the bullet did tremendous damage. Would have been a better situation for a head/neck shot in my case or wait for him to turn....
    Its not like this was my first deer. Ive killed close to thirty or so. With everything from a 243/270/300/338/450marlin and so on. Ive seen it all from perfect head shots to missed head shot at 20 yards to chasing a wounded buck I shot in the neck lucky he gave me a second chance.(bggest deer Ive ever taken) I got a 3x3 at 276 Ranged yards and he was quartering away for quite some time before I took the shot. Perfect boiler room action with the 300 win mag. My 2 favs are the 243 and the 450 marlin. I use the 375 on Admiralty for good reason but I dont prefer it as a meat gun. That all being said you always learn something new every time you go hunting.

I will sacrifice some meat for an easy and sure recovery of the animal. There is nothing like tracking an animal that has been lunged into thick brush. I love a boom-flop! I wish that every shot was a heart shot but some times that doesn't present itself.

Default good

Magnum I think you made a very good shot, offhand shots are always tricky, and nothing wrong with a spine shot, you do lose some meat but I will take a quick kill anytime. Dont let the nonsense about your caliber of choice bother you, its a great gun and you do live in AK!! If I could shoot it as well as you obviously can I would have one!

I would say you made a good shot. I assume you were on the west side of Admiralty, the hunting pressure there precludes getting a good rest alot of the time....you see them, they see you and are gone....the caliber is adequate as the big furry guys are still out... good job! We got two bucks yesterday both down low however neither came into the call. Both were all swollen and in the rut, but were just ambling about. My shot was through both front shoulders, only open spot at about 75 yds, he had me pegged and time was running out. Any meat is better than no meat!!!IMHO By the way my shot was offhand too, blueberry brush doesn't make a good rest!

Default ethics

I like the sound of the story it was a qick kill and he is cut up now. I have been hunting for a while and only lost 1 deer (gutshot) I looked till 2 am for her so the shoy could be better but I think it is acceptable and ethical its just part of the hunting expirience sometimes

Default some constructive criticism

Not sure if you are aware of it or not but when you shoot either uphill or downhill at a good angle your bullet impact will be high. So the only critique I'd have is to just be aware of that in future if you weren't already.

Default actually

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Not sure if you are aware of it or not but when you shoot either uphill or downhill at a good angle your bullet impact will be high. So the only critique I'd have is to just be aware of that in future if you weren't already.
    That was the last thing that would have crossed my mind at that moment.lol But I definetly wouldnt use it as an excuse.