Thread: Kodiak Raspberry Island Remote Lodge

Thumbs up Kodiak Raspberry Island Remote Lodge

For anyone looking to hunt for black tail deer on either Afognak or Raspberry island, look no further.
    There are also opportunities to hunt the Elk herds on either island.

My hunting partner and I spent a week at Kodiak Raspberry Island Remote Lodge this past early November and had a spectacular time.

The owner, Birch, runs a class act from the moment he meets you at Kodiak airport, till the time you arrive at the boat a few miles away... whisking away your gear to be stowed for the 90 minute 'cruise' to the cabin. All the while offering you a beverage of your choice, and offering advice on where to look for the various types of marine life or historical sites along the route.

Upon arriving at 'camp', Birch's wife, Tiffany, met us at the beach with an ATV and trailer ready to accept our gear and deliver it to our cabin.

Our cabin was quite comfortable, bunk beds, and a queen size bed - plenty of coat hangers, bathroom, and heat. The main lodge is a very nice and spacious home - I was quite impressed by the Wolf oven running in the kitchen as Tiffany prepared some fresh spaghetti sauce and garlic bread.

Yes, we were a bit overwhelmed with hospitality on that first day.
    It did not change the next day or the day that we were dropped off at the airport a short six days later.

Each day, Birch would go over our options to hunt based upon the sea conditions, winds, and anticipated weather. After we decided where was best to hunt, we set off in the Gemini to be dropped on the beach direct, or ferried via raft is the beach was a bit rocky. Armed with a VHF radio and a plan to meet at a predetermined time, my partner and I were off. We were thrilled to notice that there was not a single sole on the mountain with us, nor a sound from any form of civilization.
    Spectacular. The scenery, the wildlife. It was great.

On each day, Birch was found floating somewhere just off shore awaiting our call, or quite content to sit a few more minutes, or another hour as needed.

Our arrival back to camp was greeted by their family dog, and the greatest questions you will ever hear after a hard day hunting and hiking - "Can I get you something to drink? Do you want to take a banya and soak in the hot tub?"
    Let me tell you, after being soaked to the skin, and quite cold from the wind and temperatures, the banya is just what the doctor ordered, of course the hot tub took care of any sore muscles.

Each day started with a hot meal, and ended with a hot meal. The food was scrumptious and came in tremendous portions, there is no excuse to walk away from the table hungry. Tiffany is quite the cook. Lunches are simple sandwiches that are just what the belly wants in the mid-day.

I could go on... but I believe that gives the general gist of the trip.

I hope I can go back another day, in the mean time you should at least drop an e-mail their direction.

Here's the website - I hope everyone has just as good an experience as we did.

http://www.huntraspberryisland.com/

For Fishing, Hiking and other trips - the same place and people, different website:

http://www.raspberryisland.com/

Rob

Default Been There, Agree with That

Myself and two other guys went to Raspberry Island last year for a hunt about the same time frame as you went. We too stayed at Raspberry Island Remote Lodge and I could not agree with you more on your description of Birch, Tiffany, the family dog "Dakota" and last but not least the kids. You are treated as family. Birch's mom was there with us last year also. I look forward to returning to Raspberry Island Remote Lodge one of these days.

Not only can you hunt for deer and elk but Kodiak Bear as well. He offers both guided and unguided hunts. You can also hunt off of Afognak Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    For anyone looking to hunt for black tail deer on either Afognak or Raspberry island, look no further.
    There are also opportunities to hunt the Elk herds on either island.

My hunting partner and I spent a week at Kodiak Raspberry Island Remote Lodge this past early November and had a spectacular time.

The owner, Birch, runs a class act from the moment he meets you at Kodiak airport, till the time you arrive at the boat a few miles away... whisking away your gear to be stowed for the 90 minute 'cruise' to the cabin. All the while offering you a beverage of your choice, and offering advice on where to look for the various types of marine life or historical sites along the route.

Upon arriving at 'camp', Birch's wife, Tiffany, met us at the beach with an ATV and trailer ready to accept our gear and deliver it to our cabin.

Our cabin was quite comfortable, bunk beds, and a queen size bed - plenty of coat hangers, bathroom, and heat. The main lodge is a very nice and spacious home - I was quite impressed by the Wolf oven running in the kitchen as Tiffany prepared some fresh spaghetti sauce and garlic bread.

Yes, we were a bit overwhelmed with hospitality on that first day.
    It did not change the next day or the day that we were dropped off at the airport a short six days later.

Each day, Birch would go over our options to hunt based upon the sea conditions, winds, and anticipated weather. After we decided where was best to hunt, we set off in the Gemini to be dropped on the beach direct, or ferried via raft is the beach was a bit rocky. Armed with a VHF radio and a plan to meet at a predetermined time, my partner and I were off. We were thrilled to notice that there was not a single sole on the mountain with us, nor a sound from any form of civilization.
    Spectacular. The scenery, the wildlife. It was great.

(Deleted)

Our arrival back to camp was greeted by their family dog, and the greatest questions you will ever hear after a hard day hunting and hiking - "Can I get you something to drink? Do you want to take a banya and soak in the hot tub?"
    Let me tell you, after being soaked to the skin, and quite cold from the wind and temperatures, the banya is just what the doctor ordered, of course the hot tub took care of any sore muscles.

Each day started with a hot meal, and ended with a hot meal. The food was scrumptious and came in tremendous portions, there is no excuse to walk away from the table hungry. Tiffany is quite the cook. Lunches are simple sandwiches that are just what the belly wants in the mid-day.

(Deleted)

Rob

How was the black-tail hunting guys? Sure sounds like a friendly and attentive atmosphere, but what about the deer on Raspberry?

Default Hunting was great!

The deer are elusive in the 40 knot winds, driving rain that turned to snow and back to rain. They just laid in the alders and would not move unless you stepped on one.
    Sign was prevalent (tracks, scat, rubs), especially around the 500 foot mark on any of the areas we climbed on...
    Even in the ugly weather we saw deer every day but one. Only one buck on the last day, near the last hour, and he was a little guy.
    Of course it snowed, and appears to have stuck on the day we left, so, I would imagine the deer are little more predictable, and off the peaks.

Anyway, for us the hunting was great, the harvest - not so much.

Default Sea Ducks

I forgot to mention the duck hunting.
    Some of the fastest, most entertaining duck hunting I've done.
    Sat down on the coast line at first light, and 30 minutes later, and two boxes of ammo later, we were harvesting ducks from the water.

I plan to get a harlequin and golden eye mounted. The rest will make tasty duck jerky.

If you go, bring the shotgun, we only blasted at the ducks on the last two mornings, and kind of wish we did it more - it was a hoot! Even in the torrential rain and wind.

my wife has an afognak spring bear tag. would he be willing to accomodate us for the hunt? i thought he only dealt with guided hunts. this would be self guided.

thanks

Default Transporter

We used him as a transporter... trip included round trip air from ANC-Kodiak, round trip transportation from Kodiak to the Lodge. And daily drop off via the boat. If we wanted they would have left us overnight or two as well.
    Also included was the cabin and the amenities listed above (hot tub, hot meals, banya, etc).

They do both guided and unguided trips.

Drop them an e-mail - I know their internet (via satellite dish) has been wigging out, but they are hoping to get it fixed before a vacation later in the month.

Default Pictures

Some pictures from the trip...
    Sadly, no deer, and even more pathetic, I didn't take too many pictures while in the field - what can you do?

http://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaPix/Raspberry2009#

I heard from Birch this morning, the snow is much lower, and they are seeing more deer... as with so many hunting or fishing stories "Shoulda been here ..."

Enjoy.

Rob