Thread: Kenai kings — fair chase?

Red face Kenai kings — fair chase?

Here's an idea we can bat around a bit — Is it really "fair chase" to run down a hooked Kenai king in a motorboat?

"Concerned by the dwindling stocks of large salmon, local sportsmen formed the Tyee Club of British Columbia in 1924. Membership is granted only to those who catch a chinook (also known as tyee, spring, or king) salmon weighing over 13.6 kg (30 lb), from a rowboat . . ., using a hand-operated reel and no more than 9-kg (20-lb) test line."

What about making the Kenai River a "fair chase" river for Kings — any king hooked may not be pursued in a motor boat?

The Kenai is pretty close to absorbing all the motorized traffic it can bear, and what with increasing populations the demand will only grow in the years ahead. Making the Kenai a fair chase river for kings would help alleviate, perhaps solve, a host of problems.

First, demand for "E-Z Limit" trips would decline greatly but be offset by the immense prestige and satisfaction from catching and landing a fair chase king. Commercial operators could charge much more for such a trip, catering to a more discerning clientele than presently being served. Trips which marketed the quality of the experience would command larger prices than trips which market quantity as at present

Second, motorized traffic would be reduced, contributing to less hydrocarbon pollution of the river.

Third, commercial operator numbers would be reduced because of less demand for the chance to catch a king because of higher prices, harder work and the necessity of angling experience.

Fourth, the Chamber of Commerce could develop a marketing program—The Kenai King Society or such—awarding pins or patches to successful anglers to show off. Such exclusivety would only enhance the Kenai as a destination for discriminating anglers.

Fifth, catch rates, particularly of the biggest kings would decline, further ensuring the long-term viability of the runs.

What about it? Is this a viable idea, a direction in which to head? Is chasing big kings in a motorboat really "Fair Chase"?

Your program is interesting. Wouldn't it give the river to the people who can afford a drift boat guided trip and make the rest of us locals who can't give up fishing on the Kenai?

Smile Not at all. . .

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    Your program is interesting. Wouldn't it give the river to the people who can afford a drift boat guided trip and make the rest of us locals who can't give up fishing on the Kenai?
    No. . . such a proposal would only say that an angler may not use a boat under motorized power to pursue a hooked king.

Anglers could still use a motorized boat to access the fishery.

Let's toss it around. . .

Is using a motorized boat to pursue a hooked king "Fair Chase"?

Think about it. . . these big fish have evolved to claim a special slot in the ecosystem. . . is it fair not to respect that size by "cheating" with a motor?

Once you hook a king, it's between you and the fish.

Default Fair Chase

I think using a motorized boat to chase kings down is anyones personal choice. If they didn't want to they wouldn't do it. No reason not to in my opinion. I don't think it will solve any problems on the kenai. It seems to deal with morals and ethics on how to fish. Most people really don't care, they want their fish no matter how they get it. This is of course my opinion and the majority of people I knows opinion also.

While this doesn't necessarily cover fishing, it's relevant:
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters....ir%20Chase.htm

Two quotes in particular from the above link are important. One pretty much sums up what SalmonMan said:
    "...
    only you — the hunter — can judge its fairness...."

And: "
    The mechanized pursuit of wildlife is high on the list of violating fair-chase principles."

All good to think on.

Default A concern:

My concern is that if a fisherman couldn't maneuver to help land a large king, there would be many line break-offs, leaving a king with one or more trailing lines. I believe a drift boat could be maneuvered easily enough, but a big old battle ship such as the Willy would be nearly impossible to maneuver by oar in order to pursue a king without power.

I don't "have a dog in this fight" having only fished the Kenai once for kings, (I have lived on the peninsula for nearly a decade), and that was from a drift boat.

How can you (Marcus) make any opinions about the Kenai river and its Salmon without being out on the river? You have stated you do not use the river.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy;47991[FONT="Georgia"
    ]How can you (Marcus) make any opinions about the Kenai river and its Salmon without being out on the river? You have stated you do not use the river.[/FONT]
    I don't rob banks either, but I have opinions about bank robbing.

I guess if I were a bank robber I wouldn't pay any attention to the opinions of any one who isn't a bank robber......would that be the case with fishermen as well??

Default logic

Most bank robbers get caught - maybe they only listen to other bank robbers.

In any event, on the topic, the concept of fair chase to me would allow a motor boat but it would be a better experience not to use the motor to chase the fish.

In a number of fisheries that are considered fair chase - marlin, tuna, and other big powerful fish a boat is commonly used to keep up with the fish.

However, having caught a number of Kenai River chinook I do not find them to be particularly good sport fish - nothing like I saw in the Gulf of Mexico. A 7 lb redfish will make a 50 pound Kenai River chinook look like a minnow.

Default good idea

I thinks it a good suggestion. What would it hurt ?
    I guess it depends what you kind of fishery you expect. If its a meat fishery you want leave as it is. Just like the upper river for is for reds the lower river in July is still combat fishing, just with guides out of boats.
    Like salmon man stated right now its legal so people will do it. No different than if it was legal to chase & harvest game with motorized vehicles. A lot of people just want their game in the bag so they would do it.

Sayak, just a thought here but if you look a river like the Klutina that is fast flowing with big kings people just have to gear up a little heavier, & this is done with a lot of bank fishing. ( I know not as many people so the overall breakoffs or inturn are lower )
    I usually don't fish the Kenai for Kings but this year I went out in a friends boat. 2 people caught kings that day one was 50lbs, both people had caught smaller kings this year out of my flat bottom on susitna tributaries while sitting on the hook. Both said the smaller kings were more fun to catch & fight.
    Hmmm, it just depends what kind of experience you want.