Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just joined polaris 6X6 nation!!!

Default Just joined polaris 6X6 nation!!!

So I sold my 1998 arctic cat 500 4x4 last month with plans to purchase a polaris 6x6 if the right deal came along. Well one did!!! I'm stoked. Gotta have polarisblake build a rack that goes on the bedbox for me as well as purchase some wheel spacers. This will be the first wheeler I own that has heated handlebar grips so I'm pretty excited about that.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

for a guy that spends a lot of time riding beaver over Kodiak....shouldn't get to much use eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    for a guy that spends a lot of time riding beaver over Kodiak....shouldn't get to much use eh?
    There was absolutely ZERO time spent in a Beaver airplane this last time in Kodiak. Really I will probably only use this thing during hunting season, but they are oh so much nicer than a wheeler.

Congrats dude! It is an AWESOME machine! If you ever need it, I have the full shop manual for it. Are you going to go aluminum or steel for the rack?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Going to go steel for now. We had 3 6x6s in moose camp this year and I was the only one beating myself to death on a wheeler so it will be nice to run a cadillac next year. Although the advantage of being the only run running a wheeler was the excuse of "I only have a 4 wheeler we shouldn't load it up to much, just throw that stuff in one of the boxes of the 6Xs."

Sweet! I've done 5-6 steel racks for 6x's now so if you want to customize one close to home (not sure where PB lives...) let me know.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default 6x6 or 4x4

Iv'e been looking at a polaris 6x6 can you tell me do they out perform a 4x4 and how so, a freind tells me he likes them much better and has tracks on his.

Hey congrats on the new rig!!!

Trakn: yes and no. They are more maintenance intensive, longer and harder to steer in the tight woods, they weigh more and are harder to haul in some trucks. If you get it stuck you best have another one around to help you get out. If you roll it bad things are likely to happen, it is not exactly "spory".... Now if you hunt the interior where tight trees are not a prblem then they are AWESOME, you can pretty much go anywhere, if you climb steep hills then it rocks (going straight up/down), If you want to haul camp in and a moose out then they are perfect.

There are other positives I am sure, but I think you get the point that it is all just a tradeoff, nothing does it all great!

Yeah there are pluses and minuses to both a 4 wheeler or a 6 wheeler. Like LuJon stated the turning radius on a 6 wheeler is less than impressive. However, I highly doubt there are any places a 4 wheeler can get that a 6 wheeler can't. Where we hunt is a mix between tight spruce trees/alders/and open tundra. Granted you may ocassionally have to reverse and turn one or two extra times on a 6 wheeler which you don't have to on a four wheeler, but these instances are rare.

Another advantage of that 6 wheeler is how easy the handle bars are to turn. Regardless of if you have a whole moose and more in the back or empty the handlebars turn with the same amount of effort because the majority of the weight is on the rear 4 tires so your arms are actually less tired after riding a 6 wheeler in the tight turny trails than a fourwheeler. This is also the same reason a 6 wheeler is much smoother riding that a 4 wheeler. There isn't nearly the front to back rocking motion on a 6X6 that you might experience on a 4 wheeler.

As for being stuck. Well it isn't too much different than a 4 wheeler. Usually both either require another wheeler or a tree. Both if quite are usually present when we get stuck. Just make sure everyone we ride with has a winch, which is a requirement we try to have even before we all made the jump to 6X6s.

Hauling for me isn't too much different. My girly-man truck can't even haul a wheeler bigger than say a honda 300 with stock tires in the bed, so my wheelers had to be trailered anyways. Which is usually the case as we almost always are taking more than one wheeler along anyways.

As it was mentioned a 6X6 will climb things you wouldn't think about on a normal wheeler. Not suggested, but the back two wheels act as a wheelie bar allowing you to climb steeper grades, granted the front tires will be floating which takes some getting used to and you can't steer but for going straight up and down hills they do pretty darn good.

Regardless of what you roll over a 6x6 or 4x4 bad things can happen. However, most of the time when we do roll them you just flip them back over either with man power or the help of another wheelers winch.

The 6x6s can be more maintenance than a 4 wheeler, but the new 800s with shaft drive are no doubt going to be less involved. Mine isn't a new one, but after running 4 wheelers for nearly 20 years and watching my buddies over the last two years each buy one and seeing how much more a 6 wheeler can haul and still go through the nasty stuff nearly as easily as it went in with a moose in the back I am pretty much sold. Besides I have plans for rolling up my 25 hp outboard and jet ranger in the bed of the 6x6 and then tow the camping gear to get to some pretty remote locales this coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Sweet! I've done 5-6 steel racks for 6x's now so if you want to customize one close to home (not sure where PB lives...) let me know.
    AKmud,

I may stop by when I get back from the land of the frozen to see how you attach the Kolpin gun scabbords to your racks. I'm liking how the Conners run theirs, but always looking for the "best way".

My ridding and hunting buddy has had three. The first was a 98 or 99 400. Only got it stuck once and it took three 4 wheelers to get him out. Then he got a newer (2001 I think) 500. Also a good machine but seemed to be a little lower on power then the old two stroke. Many owners of the 500 change the main drive gear from 12 to 11 teeth. My friend did not do this but it is supposed to make the 500 more responsive - but you loose top end speed a little. But then again you don't buy a 6x6 for top speed. He now has a new 800 with all shaft drive and full independent suspension. It is GREAT. Power up the ***** and much more comfortable ride. Go with the new 800 if you can - it's a fantastic machine.

AKmud is going to help me build a box for my 6x6, so maybe we should make it a group affair, Luke. Now we need to start looking for places we can ride our six wheelers to, then hike, then packraft back to the machines.

Actually I'm looking at a 6x6 in/jet ranger up/ hike up further/ and packraft back to jet ranger places right now. Keep in touch, I have some places in mind for black bear float hunting in the morning and evenings on a remote river that is prime for this type of setup.

That reminds me Brian, when do you want to tackle it? I'm thinking maybe during Christmas break?
    AKmud

Mud, I know swapped out one of your sprockets for one with a small tooth. Is it tough to do?? If I buy the parts would ya mind helping me out with it?? Would like to get that low end torque up as 30 MPH is FAST when I am hunting so top end doesn't matter at all to me.

It only takes a few minutes and a pair of snap ring pliers. I've got the tools to break the chain too. The master link can be a pain to get apart sometimes. I did notice better low end torque after the change. It is a pretty cheap mod too.

It will be the front drive sprocket (on the engine). Stock is a 12 tooth and I went to an 11. I'm not sure if you can go as low as 10, but it might be worth a try...
    AKmud

Default Gun mounts

AkMud maybe when Luke gets in we can hook up with you and look at a few things on how you have built racks. I have had the problem with the bed actually getting torn from the frame on two separate machines now. So what I have fixed this from ever happening again but would like to see if anyone else has done things to prevent this from happening. Also the gun racks I haven't seen a way that I actually liked yet and I need to mount 2 on mine and 2 on the rest of my buddies machines which should equal around 8. So I need to find a good way to do this as we do a lot of bushwhacking. We also mount other items such as gas cans inside the racks so any ideas would be great. As for the advantage of the 6x6 over the 4x4 I would have to agree with Lanche, there is nowhere I have been on a 4 wheeler that the 6 wheeler couldn't go. I have however been places where the 6x made it that the 4x had a tougher time.

Mud,

Sounds great. When I get it back from Hatcher Pass Polaris (had them go through it after buying it off craigslist) I'll connect up with you about the sprocket change out. Really like the idea of more torque and it sounds like a relatively inexpensive way and easy install to get more out of your machine and only give up top end which I never use anyways. Does Hatcher Pass Polaris carry these sprockets or where do I order them from??

Polarisblake, you thinking about getting the 11 tooth sprocket as well?? If so maybe we can trailer our wheeler to AKMUD's house and get this mod done as well as compare racks. Ok that was worded poorly.

Lanche - HP does carry the sprockets (I think that is where I got mine...)

Here are a few pics of a couple racks I have done -

This one is on my own machine -

The seat/tripod pins together and comes off in about 1 minute. The legs fit over pegs on the seat base so they come off as well.

This was my most recent one -

It has a fold down platform for standing/sitting on.

AKmud

AKMUD,

Thanks for the pics. I like what you did with the rifle in the pic with the chair. gun is mostly protected with the rack and still easy to access.

Also I like that sitting platform as well. Polarisblake what do you think about making a similar sitting rack with the grating, but instead of slipping behind the driver, make it so when its not for sitting on you can use it similar to the brown plywood gate on your current rack so it it has two purposes, to where when we are cruising from place to place the sitting grating is a gate and when we stop to glass in an area with high brush it has some tabs on the top of the rack to lock the gate in such a way we can sit on it. So many options so little time. Nice to be in contact with folks that are in the know on welding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast