Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenetrek Mountain Extreme Boots

Default Kenetrek Mountain Extreme Boots

I know this topic has received some discussion in the past but I could not find an answer to my question in the past threads.

I have been wearing the Lowa Tibet GTX boot but my current pair is about to give up the ghost. I want something taller like the Lowa Hunter, but without the insulation. That is why I'm looking at a pair of the uninsulated Kenetrek Mountain Extremes.

How do these boots fit in comparison to the Lowas? I typically wear a 8.0 med in the Lowa Tibet. Anyone our there worn both and has any experience with sizing?

The lowa's are a bit stiffer and if you liked the tibets just get the hunter gtx. My kennetreks are starting to get too soft after two years of moderate to hard use.

If you are a size 8 and wouldn't mind the insulation on the lowa hunter GTXs this might be a pretty good deal.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=lowa

I've had my pair for 3 years and they are holding up great. Still lots of life left in them and a do my fair share of hiking. In fact I just ordered a replacement pair for my current ones when they do get to the point I need to swap for a newer pair.

kenetreks run true to length size. might be a bit narrower? but i think that is just the rubber rand around your foot that makes it feel like that.

Mine seem to be too wide now that they are broken in. My eyelets are nearly touching when I cinch down on my boots now that they are a couple years old and they fit nearly perfect out of the box. I do not have narrow feet, I have worn a standard sized boot or actually a slightly wide boot on all other brands. -this is my experience but of course ymmv

While they were pretty comfortable, I sold mine off last year and got Lowa's. For the main reason that the eyelets were mm away from touching when laced up. No they weren't too big, as the boot around my forefoot was a little snug, but comfortable. They were wides, which I need. I figured if they were just used several time and the eyelets were touching, not sure what they would be like in 1-2 years. I personally think they made the top of the boot too wide as well. most folks with wide feet don't have cankles; well at least the ones that do outdoor stuff don't.

For those that have the Lowa Hunter GTX, how "hot" is the insulation? I will be using them all during the Alaskan summer.

I use mine in the summer sometimes in 80+ degree temps. Yeah hiking in those temps suck, but with proper socks its no big deal. In summer time temps I think sock choice has more of an effect on how the feet will handle the heat than the insulation at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I use mine in the summer sometimes in 80+ degree temps. Yeah hiking in those temps suck, but with proper socks its no big deal. In summer time temps I think sock choice has more of an effect on how the feet will handle the heat than the insulation at that point.
    Yeah, coolmax socks will make a difference in the summer and for early sheep hunts. I'm liking Darn Tough socks these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Yeah, coolmax socks will make a difference in the summer and for early sheep hunts. I'm liking Darn Tough socks these days.
    I loath all of the synthetic sox including cool max. They make my feet feel slimy and they slip around. Merino wool only for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpig67 View Post
    For those that have the Lowa Hunter GTX, how "hot" is the insulation? I will be using them all during the Alaskan summer.
    I use my Lowa Hunters backpacking and training all summer; the insulation isnt bad. Like Lanche said, the sock will make the difference. I switch socks and elevate often.

I dont want to sound like a broken record but I would hate to see someone make the same mistake I did and buy normal width. I normally wear regular width boots and the Hunters were too narrow. Obvious to most people but you'll have a tuff time breaking-in boots with a rand around them like these. I didnt figure out that they were too narrow until they had decent wear in them and it was too late. At least I know exactly what width to get this spring.

I agree. On the Lowa's, 1/2 size up regardless of foot volume. I have only seen one forum post where the person found that the boot was true to size.

If you don't have a really narrow forefoot, I would think about the wides. I am not an EE, but wider than normal, and I had to stretch one of my boots as it was a bit too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    I agree. On the Lowa's, 1/2 size up regardless of foot volume. I have only seen one forum post where the person found that the boot was true to size.

If you don't have a really narrow forefoot, I would think about the wides. I am not an EE, but wider than normal, and I had to stretch one of my boots as it was a bit too tight.
    Well make that 2 now. I wear 10.5s in all my boots/shoes I ordered mine 1st pair of lowas 3 years ago not knowing that I should order a 1/2 size up. Turns out it was a good thing as they fit like a glove so I strongly suggest trying on for fit prior to buying or atleast order from a place that does free shipping exchanges to get the size right like shoebuy.com does or the like. I also had the regular width and they fit fine. Never heard I have narrow feet but the regulars fit well too. Just like any boot shopping YMMV.

Your Lowas giving up the ghost? Man, you must have put some miles on them
    You should send them back and see if you can get another pair.
    Another very good euro boot maker are Hanwag. I think they are better made than the Lowas, which is saying something.
    Check them out http://www.hanwag.de/schuh-detail.php?shoe_id=30
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I have been wearing the Lowa Tibets for firefighting around the state during the summer months along with fall hunts and winter some when it is not too cold. So a LOT of miles were put on them all over the state.

I actually have tried the Hanwag boots before years ago before I started wearing Lowa. Great boot also - I just prefer the Lowa fit and feel. The Hanwags are hard to find here in the US compared to Canada where I have seen them markets in quite a few places.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I loath all of the synthetic sox including cool max. They make my feet feel slimy and they slip around. Merino wool only for me.
    Yikes. For me the coolmax socks seem to keep my feet drier feeling when it is hot. Usually on an August hunt I will take about 3 pairs of coolmax and one 1 of merino if it gets cold. I am no longer wearing liners except in certain circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Your Lowas giving up the ghost? Man, you must have put some miles on them
    You should send them back and see if you can get another pair.
    Another very good euro boot maker are Hanwag. I think they are better made than the Lowas, which is saying something.
    Check them out http://www.hanwag.de/schuh-detail.php?shoe_id=30
    Well I do put some miles on them. I'm off for 2 weeks straight a month and between the months of May-October I average 20-40 miles in those two weeks as I usually get two solid hiking trips in those two week period either a packraft trip or a backpacking trip. So you figure 30 miles times 6 months =180 miles times 3 years=540 miles. 500+ miles out of a boot isn't too shabby IMO. I still think I can squeeze another year out of my current pair though. We'll see.

I decided to stick with the Lowas. No need to fix something that's not broke and go with a different brand when the Tibets have been perfect. I ended up buying a variation of the Lowa Hunter GTX to fill my need for something a bit higher on the leg. It is the Lowa "Sheep Hunter" from Schnees.

http://www.schnees.com/product/Lowa-.../hunting-boots

It is basically the Lowa Hunter GTX with a few modifications. The first is that it is made of full grain leather rather than the standard nubuck on the Tibet and Hunter models. And the second it that all of the seams are triple stitched rather than double stitched on the regular models.

They were a bit more than the cheapest place I could find the Hunters online. However, those two modifications were worth it in my book in the hopes that they extend the life of them a bit more as they are going to get abused just like the last ones.

Default I hate Lowa Sheep Hunters and the GTX

But only because they don't come in 15 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    But only because they don't come in 15 :-)
    Dang Louis guess you don't need snowshoes huh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast