Thread: fishing around kechikan

Default fishing around kechikan

Forum folk, I'm running my boat up to ketchikan in the spring and I'm starting to scout areas that may be good for fishing around there. I know I'll be passing right through some good fishing grounds in Canada, but I want to see SE Alaska on my own boat and catch a few trophies. I'd love to catch a nice halibut and am willing to go great distances to do so. I'd also like to nail a few nice salmon and ling cod (if there are any left) while I'm there. Anyone out there willing to give me some hints on where to go by boat and pick up a few beauties? I'll spend about a week and can undoubtedly ask when I get there, but I'd like to have a few spots pinpointed before I get there. I have a 30ft twin outboard tin boat, so can pretty much get most places quickly, and I have the ability to stay in remote areas for days at a time if necessary. Much appreciated.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I doubt many people are willing to give up their Halibut honey holes on the net. I would suggest to you to figure out where you are planning to spend time and buy some paper charts for that area. Ask people to tell you what type bottom and depth to look for the fish you want to target. I did this myself last summer I studied the charts and found a spot that looked good for halibut it had a sand and gravel bottom and was a high spot surrounded by deeper water at the opening to a bay I was rewarded by a 60" halibut not the biggest out there but I was thrilled to put it on my boat. You are more apt to get salmon hot spots rock fish and halibut are easily overfished so look for your own spots it will make you a better more successful fisherman. My .02

Rock fish like rocky bottoms with pentacles and some fish will be suspended so watch your finder they are not always right on the bottom. If you are not successful move don't spend too much time in one spot. Salmon are easily found look for groups of boats trolling or mooching.

I like fishing shallow water for rock fish in and around the rocks but you have to be very careful not to hit the submerged rocks. For shallow water fishing I use spinning gear or small bait caster stuff small lead head jig casting rubber worms think bass fishing gear these fish are usually easy to catch and they are very tasty. Good luck and have fun study those charts you have all winter to do so. Go to a place called Discount Natutical here is their link www.discountnautical.com they have very good prices on printed charts. Here is a link to a NOAA viewer you can get the chart numbers from and you can also study the area using the viewer. www.charts.noaa.gov/InteractiveCatalog/nrnc.shtml

Mike

Thanks Gundog, You're right about folks not wanting to give up their fishing spots. I was looking for general guidlines more or less. I can do it the old fashioned way as you suggest and undoubtedly find some fish. I'm surprised to hear the halibut are overfished. I wonder where you need to go to find a place where they are not anymore... At least you've metered my expectations somewhat. I can catch 60-120lb hali's off vancouver island and even down in the strait of juan de fuca.

Even so, I look forward to heading up to Alaska and enjoying the scenery if nothing else. It would be nice to fish some hot spots. I'm mostly looking for pictures, I'm not taking much home.

Thanks again.

PM sent...

Didn't know this was a political forum, I will forage elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by heathjohnson View Post
    Didn't know this was a political forum, I will forage elsewhere.

Please explain further. Did someone harass you for asking for spots? I came up just last spring, and I would be glad to tell you everything I can, since others were quite helpful to me. We did pretty good arounf Mary's Island which is not too far south of Ketchikan, and I have since heard of others fishing there. The other place we did OK was out by Elfin Cove, but I am not sure of when you are going. We went pretty early (mid May) so the Kings and Halibut were a bit spotty on the way up. Be sure to stay at Hole in the Wall, which was my favorite anchorage, and Barinoff Warm Springs was pretty neat too.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Hog Rocks

I would take a look at Hog Rocks for lings while in the Ketchikan area. It is a sizeable reef complex in Revillagigedo Channel off the east shore of Ham Island just to the south of Ketchikan. It has been some time since I was down there last, but the locals used to take some real hog lings off there in years past. Both Mary and Duke Island are great habitat for King salmon - just be prepared to burn some gas to find what you are looking for. ;-] Good luck!

If you want Big Butts, head to Cape Muzon or Forrester Island, on the S side of POW.. Dewey Rocks can have some scary big ones too. Use your anchor, and get lots of scent down.. High spots are good for anchoring and usually in a few hours you can have a big one on.