Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks Taxidermy

Default Fairbanks Taxidermy

Anybody got any suggestions on taxidermist in Fairbanks/North Pole area. Good and Bad replys please. Understand there are some issues going on in the area

Default Tanana Taxidermy

Tanana has done well for me on a moose shoulder mount and several antler mounts.I know he is pretty busy not sure if he is taking work but is a good guy.

Default Alaska Percision....

Dont get much better! PM me and I wil get his number and recomendations.

Default Alaska Precision Taxidermy

I'll second that. Can't go wrong with Kevin.

I'll third that.Just call Kevin....he's the bomb diggity-diggity. And If you want to see his work Im in North Pole stop on by.BTW! His place is off of Trainor Gate in Fairbanks.

Default Brow Tine in North Pole

Rich has taken excellent care of my trophies over the years and he is a hell of a nice guy. I know he is always really busy so I'm not sure if he is taking new clients?

Brow Tine has done most of my work. Rich does good work but is real busy.

I second "Alaska Precision Taxidermy" , Kevin does good work, and he guarentees it, been doin' my stuff for years.

Thumbs up Browtine

Another vote for Rich and Browtine

Quote Originally Posted by AOF View Post
    There is a new guy in North Pole that claims to have six years taxidermy experience with Cabelas. I hope he does better work at his day job as a meat cutter. But then according to the local news paper he fails there also. I do not want to flame anyone publicly so send me a PM if you want the details.
    Best advice is to stick with someone with a good reputation and remember you usually get what you pay for. This guy is cheap....
    AOF you have mail.

This guy is not me, I am down the road closer to North Pole. Please donít confuse him with me. I have checked into him, and what I am finding is not good.
    If you would like more info pm me.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I second "Alaska Precision Taxidermy" , Kevin does good work, and he guarentees it, been doin' my stuff for years.
    No first hand experience with these folks, but based on their website they look good. I really like the looks if their small game, especially the wolverines. One of these days I would like to have a life size wolverine done.

Default My 2 cents!

Having been associated with, and doing taxidermy since 1986 myself, IMO, I feel I have a better than average eye for detail when it comes to high quality taxidermy work. That being said, I would say that collectively we have some awsome Wild Life artists in the Fairbanks and North Pole area. Skip in Salcha, Kevin at alaska precision, and Charley at alaska wildlife arts in North Pole I feel all do exceptional work. Combined, they have more than 100 years of experience to offer. There very well could be others in the area that deserve mentioning here, but none of which I have personal experience with. The one who I have the most experience with, that IMO stands out as possibly the best in the area if not the state, is Rich at brow tine. He IMO does amazing work!
    IMO, What I would shy away from if your truley wanting the best quality work in return for your hard earned cash, is the "New Guys" on the block. Keep in mind, It takes years to gain the experience needed to become a great taxidermist, and you just dont get that experience by attending a taxidermy school, or OJT'ing for a short period of time. Those guys will eventually get there if they have the artistic ability required, are business minded, and stick with it, but this is something to take into consideration as your looking at getting that "mount of a life time" done. NOT JUST THE PRICE! Remember, you get what you pay for, and experience needs to be one of the elements considered when making the decision of who to go with. Hope this personal insight helps.....
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Are there any taxidermists around Fairbanks who would be helpful and give a quick lesson on do-it-yourself tanning? I am also looking for a place to purchase the necessary solutions and such. I have never really done it before, but think it would be a cool hobby to get into.

[QUOTE=Alaskan_mtnman;643523]Having been associated with, and doing taxidermy since 1986 myself, IMO, I feel I have a better than average eye for detail when it comes to high quality taxidermy work. That being said, I would say that collectively we have some awsome Wild Life artists in the Fairbanks and North Pole area. Skip in Salcha, Kevin at alaska precision, and Charley at alaska wildlife arts in North Pole I feel all do exceptional work.

Charley doesn't do the taxidermy anymore from what he told me. He has another guy in his shop. I think Charley is sticking to the paintings. I agree with everyone about Brow Tine, very good work. A bit pricey but beautiful work.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Thumbs up Black Bear Taxidermy

in North Pole does exceptional work on bears. Terry only mounts bears for the most part. Terry is one of the taxidermists that will take all the time you need to explain all the details.

Terry helped me out at 1:00 AM when I called him on the sat phone from a spring hunt, with a bear on the ground. I was not sure on a couple cuts for a lifesize, and he gladly answered all of my questions and even offered to stay on the phone while we did all of the skinning.

Great guy, great work--TWO THUMBS UP

I like to use Kevin Hickman with AK Precision, and I have also used Rich Hamilton with Brow Tine in North Pole. Both of them take a long time to return your mounts, but you get a fantastic product in return.

Rich did a shoulder moose mount with detachable antlers that turned out amazing, but it took a full 15 months to get it back. Kevin has done multiple bear mounts for me, and I have return times from 7 months to 12 months depending on the mount.

If you are concerned with how soon you will get a mount back, I'd say avoid many taxidermists in AK, at least the most reputable ones that everyone goes to, and send your hides down to the lower 48 to get done. There is a place in Montana that does absolutely fabulous work on bear rugs.

I just had a black bear half life size done for about 1/3 of the price of what I could have had it done up north and the turn around was 2 1/2 months. Time spent researching good taxidermists in the states can save you a lot of time and money.
    Attached Images Attached Images

my first rug was from Charlie Livingston so I called him to do my second and he referred me to kevin hickman. Have been going to him ever since.

he is a great guy and remembers repeat customers well
    3 fox
    1 black wolf
    1 grizz
    3 blacks

all have seen his shop with great out comes

The only bad thing about recommending someone your taxidermists is that its just going to take even much more longer to get your own stuff back 'cause you just increased their workload.....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    The only bad thing about recommending someone your taxidermists is that its just going to take even much more longer to get your own stuff back 'cause you just increased their workload.....
    No kidding!! I wish I would have thought about this concept before I referred all those bears to Kevin. No really, Kevin is great, I get along with him very well, and he never turns me away.

Default ...

Just talked with Kevin the other day (as he has a "few" of my furried friends getting some work done) and he said he is no longer taking new clients, EVEN if referred by his repeat customers. Said he is just so backed up he isn't even close to getting caught up. Glad I'm already in good with him...hate to have to find another one that is so easy to work with, as Kevin is, and does a top notch job.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast