Thread: .270 Wsw

Default .270 Wsw

I recently won a Weatherby .270 WSW, at the Friends of the NRA (this is the actual 2006 NRA gun of the year) dinner a couple of months ago. This is #218 of #1100 made, and it's a nice rifle. SS, nice 3X9 Leopold, etc. Any thoughts on this size of rifle for Alaska? Should I just take off the wrapper and hunt with it? I have plenty of other rifles, but just looking for some input. Since it's a limited edition and nice rifle, I may sell it to someone that likes that type of thing, then buy something I'm more familiar with.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Alaska Caliber

Athough this caliber is universal to many areas in the lower forty eight it would not serve as good all around Alaska gun. If you are strictly hunting smaller sized big game then it would be fine. You didn't say whether you were coming to Alaska just to hunt or to live. If not coming to live then maybe hold on to gun and just purchase a more useful caliber for here.

Default .270 Wsm

Gil,
    Thanks for the note. I've lived and hunted most of my life in Alaska, I'm just not much into all the ballistics of guns and such. Your sentiments are kind of what I've heard, but wanted to verify. It is a beautiful gun, and if I'm not going to use it, I'll just put it up for sale. Right now I shoot a Remington .375 Ultra Mag, but I'm thinking since shoulder surgery, I might just be able to use that .270 WSM, and give my shoulder some recovery time.

Claude

There are a lot of better calibers in general for Alaska...starting with the time proven '06 as a generally agreed upon minimum caliber.

I gotta say I'm kinda fascinated with the caliber. With premium bullets I'd use it for anything I currently use a 7 mag for, including deer, sheep, goats, elk, caribou, blackbear and moose. A 140 at around 3100 or a 150 at around 3000 is as flat as anything I'd need. Cross big bears off your list and it starts to look a lot more interesting.

For me it's a case of something lighter to pack than my 7 mag and to use instead, and the round itself creates interesting ops. The way I beat up my guns I'd be hesitant to carry a LE like yours, but I'd happily put the same money into a custom lightweight. I'm a lefty and nothing off the shelf suits me.

I'd have to agree with Brownbear. With the super premium bullets available today you could shoot darn near anything with it. Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Swift Sciroccos, Swift A-Frames or Barnes Triple Shock's just to name a few.
    Mark

Thumbs up Equal 270 Weath.

This round equals the 270 Weatherby in performace. Good for all but the big bears on the coast!
    Alaska

It is a great round and would be an excellent caribou, deer, sheep and goat gun. My daughters and son use a 270 for black bear with 100% success and my wife shot her first moose with the 270 this past fall. In the right hands, with premium ammo, the 270 or 270WSM is a very accurate and deadly caliber. If the gun is stainless and synthetic stocked, I'd hunt with it. If it's a wood version, I'd either keep it as a collectors item or sell it to someone who want's it for that and buy something I really wanted. I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

Default 270 wsm

I live and hunt in idaho and mainly live for elk hunting and for the past 4 years I have been using a 270 WSM with 140 gr TSX's. I hand load them with a healthy dose of RL22 powder at just under 3,200 fps They have dropped 3 bull elk and 1 cow at ranges of 150-325 yards with one shot each. This is an awesome caliber and the TSX really performs well with this combo of caliber and velocity. It works great and althoughe I have no doubt that I could kill anything on the north american continent with it I would be hesitant to use it in brown bear country or to hunt one of the big bears (brown or polar). It would do the job just not as fast and effieiently as I would prefer with such a big carnivore. But if it is a SE then I can see where you might be better off selling it and buying something a litle more suited for the rain and alskan bush.

Default For what it's worth...

I know a few guys who seem to have the same luck at those type of events as you denalihunter...one who recently won a gun realized he had no more room in his BIG gun safe, so he decided to sell some of the comemmorative(sp?) (NRA, ***, RME, DUL,WTU...) firearms. I was amazed at the amount of money folks will pay for these arms. I always say "if there's a scratch, there's a story" but if you are not totally PUMPED about hunting with this gun, I would leave it in the wrapper and throw it in the safe as an investment or sell it now and use the money to buy the gun you are excited about carrying.

my .02

congrats on the prize, whatever you decide to do with it!

Default 8 caribou

taken with this caliber in our camp. this year on Adak
    shots up to 400 yds and maybe more.
    the 140 grain bullets are such a great all around bullet for great flight and good medium animal kills.
    Sheep goats.
    and with great placement everything else.
    Jack O'conners did it all with a 270 caliber albiet not the wsm, but with same speed bullets in the old 270 winchester..
    He even shot all the big five in Africa with never needing a backup.. and then north for polar bear.. Kodiak brownies.... Moose, black bears, elk..
    Confidence in your gun is so important. I think that is the driving force for many that have used that certain gun enough to trust its ability..
    I found this from outdoor life magazine

O’Connor found his métier in writing on guns and hunting. In the first chapter of one of his books, The Hunting Rifle, he would provide an introspective view of the keys to his success. “No man’s opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense,” he commented. O’Connor then hastened to add that he disliked words such as “authority” and “expert” when they were “applied to those who write about guns, shooting and hunting. I am not a ballistician or a gunsmith. I write about rifles as a user and lover of rifles who tries his ****edest to be honest.” His love of guns and their uses in sport, along with a real feel for words and a transparent honesty, helped make O’Connor a great writer. He poured emotion into his columns, feature articles and books. Most of these were written over the course of more than three decades, beginning in 1939 when he became associated with outdoor life. As the magazine’s Shooting Editor he was insightful, opinionated and extremely influential. Almost single-handedly he popularized the flat-shooting, smaller centerfire calibers (most notably his beloved .270).
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default O'conner & the 270

come on, you'll have to show me where he used the 270 on the big 5. O'Conner also liked the 375 H&H and that is the rifle he probably used on buff, rhino,lion (I know he did all his tiger hunting with the 375) & elephant. He may have used the 270 on leopard, but I seriously doubt he used it on the others.
    having said that, I think the 270WSM would do for all but the big bears up here. (think Jack hunted them with a 375 & maybe once with a 7mm Rem Mag).
    Gary

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice and info from all of you. I'm still not a 100% decided, and now, with all this new info, I think I'll take it out to the range in the spring, once my shoulder heals from surgery, and see how it shoots. I guess if I sell, it would mostly depend on how much I get for it. If any of you know anyone interested, let me know.

The link takes you to the exact gun that I won.

http://www.nrafoundation.org/friends/f0620611.asp

Don't sell it. Enjoy it and try to make it shoot it's best. Take it caribou hunting. Les