Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Boating out of Whittier

Default Winter Boating out of Whittier

I am currently listening a boater in distress on Channel 16. He is out there with another person and a dog. He lost his steering or his motor, the radio is not very clear, and was floating towards the rocks. The ferry is the only vessel in the area to help, but they told him they would not risk the crews life to resque the dog they would help the people not the dog. The boater put his boat on land rather than lose the vessel and his dogs life. He is stranded at a Hollow Byte west of Squirrel Pt. Please when you come here in the winter do not bring your kids or animals with you. You are headed out into a very dangerous situation and we have no resque boat available to assist you in the winter. It is currently blowing 45 knots. If the wind is blowing or projected to blow more knots than your vessel is feet long do not go. Only use 1/3 of your fuel because the wind blows mostly from the west and you may need the other 2/3 to return. Make sure everyone has survival suits on before you get in the vessel to leave. Please do not take your kids or animals its one thing for an adult to make the decision to go but kids and animals can not, they just do what their told. No fish or deer or bear meat is worth losing your boat or your lives.

I was coming back to Whittier on the ferry Saturday and saw about a 20-22ft. Trophy heading out further around Perry. I thought it was interesting with the weather forecast about to change.

How big of a boat were the guys today in?

PKZ125-100300-
    PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND

400 AM AKST MON NOV 9 2009

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY TODAY AND TUESDAY...
    .TODAY...N WIND 20 KT BECOMING NW WIND 25 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. GUSTS
    TO 35 KT OUT OF BAYS AND PASSES. SEAS 6 FT. RAIN AND SNOW.
    .TONIGHT...W WIND 15 KT. GUSTS TO 30 KT OUT OF BAYS AND PASSES. SEAS
    4 FT.
    .TUE...NW WIND 30 KT. GUSTS TO 40 KT OUT OF BAYS AND PASSES. SEAS 7
    FT.
    .TUE NIGHT...N WIND 20 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .WED...SE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .THU...NW WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .FRI...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

$$

PKZ129-100300-
    PASSAGE CANAL

400 AM AKST MON NOV 9 2009

...GALE WARNING THROUGH TUESDAY...
    .TODAY...W WIND 35 KT. GUSTS TO 45 KT NEAR WHITTIER IN THE MORNING.
    SEAS 5 FT. SNOW.
    .TONIGHT...W WIND 20 KT INCREASING TO 35 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. GUSTS TO
    45 KT NEAR WHITTIER. SEAS 3 FT BUILDING TO 5 FT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
    .TUE...W WIND 35 KT. SEAS 5 FT. FREEZING SPRAY.
    .TUE NIGHT...W WIND 25 KT. SEAS 4 FT.
    .WED...E WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .THU AND FRI...W WIND 15 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

$$
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I swear people don't look at the weather before going out. Never ceases to amaze me. Granted, the "forecast" isn't even really much of a guess, but if you watch for afew days before you go you can get an idea of what the trend is. Then, if you want, you can go here to check the actual weather in Whittier before you go:

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/PAWR.html

Charterboat Operator

Cool

came back yesterday from Naked, water was actually quite nice, with light winds and relativly calm waters. winds around Esther 12-15 little bumpy, to my suprize, port wells FLAT FLAT FLAT, smiling while listening to the weather report that the winds were only blowing 3 kts at whittier.
    Pigot point brought a little wind, SW and 20kts comming from Blackstone, 25 - 35 kts from shotgun cove into Whittier and building, tight and rough.
    pulled into the harbor, not even a ripple on the water. pretty amazing after getting POUNDED for 10 miles.
    boat safe!
    PB

ps, if anyone knows who helped themselves to my 8" lightforce lights off the front of my truck while parked in the middle of the parking lot over the weekend, i would really like to have a chat with them

Default Coast guard

It is a 22' c dory, this situation started at about 11:20 am and the coast guard is just now getting around to sending someone but they are still 3 hours away by boat and the winds are to strong for a helicopter. It is now 4:50pm. Please, please if you need to come hunt remember you are on your own. Make sure you are prepared for everything that can possibly go wrong. Go in pairs so you have a 2nd boat to assist if one stops opperating properly. The sound can be scary in the summer but we have people all around who can assist. In the winter it can be deadly and you are pretty much on your own.

Hmmm... This post is interesting to me. I wonder what the reaction would be if somebody from Anchorage posted the following:

"I just watched somebody from out of town slide through a busy intersection. He had his wife and kids with him. He didn't have good studded winter tires or four wheel drive. He would have hit a loaded gasoline tanker as he slid into the intersection, but his car stalled in the middle. A couple of people were thinking about helping him push his stalled car out of the way, but they said the intersection was too busy, and it was too dangerous. So the driver decided to just sit there until the police showed up. But, since it is slick and snowy all over town, it would be hours before they could respond.

Please when you come from your small town into the city in the winter do not bring your wives or kids with you. You are headed out into a very dangerous situation and the police are too busy to assist you in the winter. It is currently snowing. If it is snowing or projected to snow, do not come into the city. If you do, only use 1/3 of your fuel because you may get stuck and you may need the other 2/3 to keep the car running so you have heat while waiting for rescue. Make sure your you are driving a four wheel drive truck with studded tires, and have a set of chains available. Please do not bring your family, because they can be a huge distraction while you're driving and they often won't listen and do what their told. No groceries, entertainment, or social event is worth losing your car or your lives."

Listen, I understand that the Sound can be a dangerous place, both in the winter and the summer. But I think it's a little condescending to talk down to people because you heard on the radio that somebody was in trouble because of a mechanical failure.

Just being a little sarcastic here. But, let the flaming begin anyway. I know it's coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default not a good comparison

Rod - your comparison is not fair. The police would be on the car like stink on dog poo....the boat not-so. I get what you are saying, but it is apples to pomegranites.

Default Sad day

I find it very sad that someone would think that I was talking down to them when I was only trying to warn people to be safe. The coast guard still has not gone to get them. They are held up out there a 2nd day waiting for the wind to die down. I only hope they were prepared to be out there 2 days longer than expected and it will probably be another day because the wind is not calming down at all.

Charterboat Operator

Default c-dory

guess it wasn't a weekend for c-dorys, listened to another 22' c-dory on Esther, next bay east of the hatchery, not sure on the name. end of the bay and tide was out boat was dry & couldn't get the boat refloated. next tide that was high enough wasn't till Thursda, he was willing and prepared to stay. guys from the hatchery were nice enough to wait till high tide and go give him a hand to get it floating again.

anyone hear what happened with the other one?

Default Get em' at the dock

My two cents: Every year without fail, I see a disaster heading out to sea from one of the docks. This summer it was two disasters; One was a Carolina skiff with a home-made center console with all the crap in the world loaded in it, including five people who looked about as sea worthy as a rock! They had less than six inches of freeboard and the transom well was flooded and the outboard cover was touching the water. They headed out of Seward in the afternoon looking for fish or to die.

The other, was a small inflatable with a 1970's something mercury outboard, overloaded with an infant (less than a year old I guessed) with Mother and Father. No room for people, just gear, the guy banged back and forth between the docks because the motor lifted off the transom when in reverse gear. I finally asked where the hell they were going, they were heading to the cabin at Derby cove for the weekend. I gave some thoughts on the idea and said at least get the boat off the tide line so it doesn't fill with surf. They were wide eyed and surprised at all my advice, and were thankful since they never heard of any of it before. Meaning, they didn't have a clue and didn't know where they were going, among other things.

If the CC was there, they might have arrested both for polluting the water with stupidity!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    My two cents: Every year without fail, I see a disaster heading out to sea from one of the docks. One was a Carolina skiff with a home-made center console with all the crap in the world loaded in it, including five people who looked about as sea worthy as a rock! They had less than six inches of freeboard and the transom well was flooded and the outboard cover was touching the water.
    I saw something very similar to this at Pony Cove. A flat bottom duckboat/jonboat with one of those "Go-devil" motors. You know the one that mounts on a stand with a 6' shaft and a tiny 6" prop at the end. This guy was loaded with only inches of freeboard! Overloaded to say the least. That they made it in the first place was astonishing. They left for Seward at around say 1pm. We left around 3pm. And they were barely half way across the big open stretch between Pony and Rugged Island when we caught up to them. We idled up close enough to ask if they were okay (being very careful not to create any wake that would affect them). They just waved us on.

I didn't read about anyone lost that weekend so I assume they made it. Just nuts!!!

tbj,

Thanks for the thread, and please update it if you find out more. I think most of us get your point that you are not telling us to stay out, but just warning us that it is not the same as in the summer, both from a weather standpoint as well as from a lack of other boats to lend aid.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Talking

A few more for entertainment and food for thought:
    A Willie Predator, Kenai guide stickers and all, about five-inches or less of freeboard, loaded with about seven people, all elderly. This was about noon between Fox and Hive.

A Jon-boat loaded with people and a dog in Culross, South of the intersection of Long Bay. I had just came from the South and unprotected areas and it was a good three-foot chop.

A Ski-boat, Bayliner Capri, at Pony during the begining of a week long blow, we are leaving due to the four foot confussion building between Pony and Chaevel.

My favorite; Jon-boat yards from the harbor entrance, jet-unit sputtering away in one spot at about 2:00, guy in hip-boats, wife hunkered in the bow praying she can kill her husband before the water does.

These people probably run red lights in the winter also.

Default Get back to the C-dory part!

I would like to see some boat names at least regarding these C-dory's. I've got one myself and am curious.
    As to the dog, Ive shot every dog Ive ever owned! Yep, once their usefullness is expired they get it. Over the years I'd guess 30 or so got it. Put me in a situation where it's the boat or the dog and guess who's gonna survive?

Pay attention, and look for "soon to be posted" pictues of my new pot block! I'll post it in the fishing forum.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    As to the dog, Ive shot every dog Ive ever owned! Yep, once their usefullness is expired they get it. Over the years I'd guess 30 or so got it.
    Well Mike... I guess that makes you the man.
    I've had to put down several of my dogs over the course of my life (you know the bullet in the head thing) but it never occurred to me to brag about it as though it were a thing of .. .I'm searching for the word here... valor, honor, machismo????? Thats a pretty weird statement to make. Under dire cricumstances it would for sure be the dog before myself or family or friends but just the same that's a weird thing to think is so important you would post it in that manner. Strange.

I know someone (or two) who never check the marine weather before heading out. And these are people who have been out many times and should know better. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I think it's better to figure out how to prevent a bad situation than to find yourself in a bad situation and have to figure out how to overcome it. Applied this belief to over 800 skydives and it seems to have worked ok

Default You are right

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I know someone (or two) who never check the marine weather before heading out. And these are people who have been out many times and should know better. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I think it's better to figure out how to prevent a bad situation than to find yourself in a bad situation and have to figure out how to overcome it. Applied this belief to over 800 skydives and it seems to have worked ok
    I too have always been perhaps overly cautious when I have had others on the boat. However, my thought has always been to not be the topic of some Monday news article about another idiot who killed his family,friends,self by doing something stupid.

I have and beleive in the checklist. Granted we tend to go on long trips beyond your typical day trip but just the same I follow it on a day trip as well.

PS... only 18 jumps, didn't get my Class A cert and could never afford to start over again.

As to the dog, Ive shot every dog Ive ever owned! Yep, once their usefullness is expired they get it. Over the years I'd guess 30 or so got it.
    what a jerk off comment......I'd wish you the same fate, but I'm not that kind of guy....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thumbs down Alasgun

I would like to see some boat names at least regarding these C-dory's. I've got one myself and am curious.
    As to the dog, Ive shot every dog Ive ever owned! Yep, once their usefullness is expired they get it. Over the years I'd guess 30 or so got it. Put me in a situation where it's the boat or the dog and guess who's gonna survive?

Pay attention, and look for "soon to be posted" pictues of my new pot block! I'll post it in the fishing forum.
    Mike
    Wow Alasgun, are you trying to impress us? If you are really serious about this statement you probably don't need a pet. I love to hunt and fish, and until recently never really cared to have a dog. If NEEDED, I would "do the deed", with my own gun. It would be with great sorrow. If you only are able to get 1 or 2 years of "usefullness" out of one, YOU are the useless one. This was bizaare, assinine thing to say. Hopefully, it was your way of saying you need help.

Thanks all for the reminders of the dangers of boating in the winter. Being a life-long Alaskan and fisherman, I have had my share of hair-raising experiences on the water. Many of these were in a small boat. Some were with my wife and children. Many more were with my father and grandfather, only no one had the stones to tell them they were irresponsible for taking me with them in the largest boat they could afford. While some people are careless and stupid, others simply don't have 100k to spare on the safest boat possible. I came back into Whittier Sunday, and though it was a little choppy. Some other guys on the radio could hardly keep it together. Guess all those careless, irresponsible moments paid off... Seriously though, good points, just saying that I would have had my son out there this weekend, thinking that everyone else was killing their kids by letting them stay inside playing video games and eating McDonalds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast