Thread: Upper Kenai Black Bear Questions...

Question Upper Kenai Black Bear Questions...

Am heading down to hunt near Hope this weekend and am looking for any insight as to the bear density, and average size of bears down that way. I will be spot and stalking and am looking for any pointers to up my game. I am from Arizona and an Elkatologist,...atleast I should be considering my love for and how long I've been hunting them...so I am good with patience, being quite, playing the wind, and stalking. Any "ACE" in the hole would be more than appreciated. Thanks so much...

Happy hunting...

Alas, there is no ace in the whole, though your patience will serve you well. There are a lot of black bears down that way, though they're a bit tough to spot this time of year. In the fall they're easy to find on the hillsides eating berries, but this time of year they tend to spend more time down low in the timber. There are exceptions, of course. Since it was a late spring, concentrate your efforts on new growth - grass, ferns, etc. I've seen a number of bears in May in small openings feeding on the first stuff to sprout.

I would estimate that the average size for black bears down there is in the 5.5 foot range. If you see anything that you estimate to be over 6', it's definitely a nice bear. The bears up here eat well, but they hibernate longer than those down south, thus they are usually a bit smaller than their southern cousins.

Good luck on your hunt, and don't forget to post a report when you return!

-Brian

And beware of brown bears too, they are out in force as well.

Default Hope Black Bear

Twenty five years ago Fish and Game told me the average Kenai Penn. Black Bear was about 5' and a 150 to 175 lbs. The Hope area has alot of bears on the slopes. Bring some leather gloves for climbing through the Devils Club and alders.

Smile

Thanks for the insight gentleman...much appreciated...I will give the flip side of the story after the weekend...

Happy hunting...

Default great spot

if you can get across six mile creek, you'll be all alone. lotsa bears over there.

AZinAK -- sent you a PM

Default same question.........

my cell email is rjj15@tmomail.net just got off the slope today & wife is bringing me directly 2 hope. any black bear info would be great...

Default I just left there

First off there are durn sure bears here. I have been here for 9 days. I am staying at a pull out tonight near Anchorge. Tomorrow is my last day here. Hope you get this. I guess I should have looked at your dates before I wrote this. I saw A REAL big one on the hill side near Bertha Creek Camp. Could not get to it. Almost drowned trying . Saw a few more up and down the Penn. I'll second that on the 6 mile. I was camped one night near Moose Pass. It was about 11:00 PM. I have been only sleeping about 3 or 4 hours a night so I was wore out. I desided to call it an eveing and have a beer and a cigar then go to bed. There was a moutain side in frount of me with ALLOT of thick stuff between us I could'nt help but keep glassing the mountain. Then I heard something running. I looked to me left and there was a nice bear that paused long enough for a shot. If I could have shot him with a beer I would have had him!
    The only one I saw that I could get to wasn't very big AND He was doing to be REAL tough to get out if I got him. I found out earlier this week that my screwed up knee really didn't fix it's self I just had not been working it hard, so I let him go. I am by far no bear expert but looks to me like you just need to watch an area you can get to and don't give up glassing.
    I will say trip was a sucsess. I saw allot of areas I had not seen befor and just had a great time. I think I will have a beer and go to bed. (guess that means I will see a bear). Do one thing for all of use, which I am sure you will. Pick up your trash. That was the only bad thing about this trip, was people throwing there trash on the ground.