Thread: can I get some expirenced opinions on specific cal.weapons in practicle use ?

Default can I get some expirenced opinions on specific cal.weapons in practicle use ?

I am interested in what the concensis is on the 17hmr.
    I like it because it is very powerful flat shooting wepon , but because of the small projectile expansion is not going to be significant . but What would one dare to take out with it ?
    I have destroyed a cement block with just a few shots @ a few hundred feet , and moving the view and not even changing the scope at 200 yards it may have dropped an inch or two.
    Any one else ?
    arleigh

should this be in the shooting forum?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

hmmm.....well dont get too ballsy with it... id stick to varmints inside of 300 yards. rabbits, foxes, coyotes, lynx, ground squirrells....might drop a wolf if the shot was good.....for varmints, i would neck up to a .223 or a .220 swift. one of my favorite varmint firearms/calibers is the .221 fireball (remington xp-100)....small enough to to use on foxes and the like without destroying them, yet has the power to bring down deer or caribou if needed. but really it all depends on what you plan to hunt. for anything larger than a wolf, dude you better get yourself a 30-06.

Release Lake Trout

I have one, and would consider it good on fox to coyote sized game out to 125-150 yards. If I had it in hand I would shoot a wolf out to maybe 50yds. The little round is pretty devastating but I wouldn't expect it to get a lot of penetration on something that large. I also use mine on grouse, ptarmigan, quill pigs, and bunnies along with pretty much anything else in that size range. Just be ware most of the rounds available for it are designed to fragment on impact.

My varmint gun of choice now is an AR15 shooting 223 FMJ's. Flatter shooting, more power, more range, and w/ the solids less damage on meat and hide than the frangible 17hmr. I have also been known to shoot bunnies and grouse w/ the AR too, and it is a BLAST!

Owned a couple and enjoy shooting the one I still own. 17 or 20 grain bullet limits it to rabbit (hare) sized game or smaller. Doubt I would ever use it on a coyote and never on a wolf. Personally I would not use a light varmit caliber such as a .222 or .223 on a wolf. Wolves weigh as much as a medium size Alaskan blacktail and for that would choose a .243 or bigger.

17HMR is a great little accurate round, only downfall is the price of ammo doesnt come down. For a rimfire "Varmit" rifle I much prefer the 22 Mag.
    Tennessee

You can shoot just about anything with it if you are a good shot. Doesn't take much to kill a wolf, one shot to the heart will do, overkill with anything bigger than a .223 unless you are shooting way way out there.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have one, and would consider it good on fox to coyote sized game out to 125-150 yards. If I had it in hand I would shoot a wolf out to maybe 50yds. The little round is pretty devastating but I wouldn't expect it to get a lot of penetration on something that large.
    Pretty much my opinion as well. I've enjoyed my HMR, but it is limited in its hunting applications. In regards to others shooting larger animals with it; I am confident you can kill large animals with it, but there are so many better choices I can't imagine why someone would prefer it.

I have a Savage in .17 HMR.

It turns tundra squillz inside out. It's fur friendly on foxes and I've seen one wolf whacked with it that was a perfect eyeball shot. I also saw one that was wounded by a body shot.

They are great for foxes and lynx. I would not use one on anything larger.
    Now what ?

Its not really flatter than other varmint bullets at the range its good for and its not very powerful compared to others.JMHO

Default My .17HMR is a gun-safe queen.

I got real excited about the .17HMR when it first came out. A .22 magnum necked down to .17 with a shoulder...It was just too cool to pass-up! I went through a half brick of ammo shooting all kinds of inanimate stuff with it to see what it could do.

When I tried it with a couple of small game animals it was way too much for the job. I blew apart a ptarmigan and then badly mangled a hare...and that was it for me. If we had prairie dogs up here, or AK hunting regulations that allowed us to shoot ground squirrels without having to salvage the meat or hide, than I'd grab my .17HMR and have a really fun day shooting. I'm sure it would reach way out there, and show some devastating terminal performance.

I take my .223 with FMJ bullets for coyote.

Doc (Chuck)

Default Neither fish nor fowl...

I've played around with the idea of getting one but the negatives keep popping up... I've shot several and found them really interesting and scary accurate but never found enough good to outweigh the bad.

Too destructive for edible small game and not destructive enough if I'm predator calling for larger critters. Good for fox and lynx size out a little ways past a 100 and I personally would want more gun on coyote at any distance past point blank. I think wolves are totally out of its league. I just can't like it for calling because you never know whats going to come in.

I also personally think a 22 Hornet outshines it handily as a close range/ low report kind of predator gun and its outclassed by the .223/.22-250 for coyote and wolf out at distance. I don't really see much advantage over a .22LR or .22 WMR for the edible stuff.

As much as I really want to like the cartridge I just can't find a good reason to own one except longer range plinking.

Thank you very much for your input . I didn't think it would have enough distructive power , almost like an arrow ,passing right through . but I am not the expirenced hunter you are.
    again thanks .
    arleigh

Ok ,I have another one for you all .
    A ruger 44 mag semi auto ,
    Should I keep it ?
    would you trust it to take ot a bear ??
    I got it for wild pig , but I've never taken a bear yet .

Arleigh, do some searching for 'bear gun' or 'handguns for bear' or something of that sort, you'll come up with lots 'o info...

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    Ok ,I have another one for you all .
    A ruger 44 mag semi auto , Should I keep it ? would you trust it to take ot a bear ??
    I got it for wild pig , but I've never taken a bear yet .
    Would I hunt a bear with it? No way. Would I take it as an emergancy bear gun, its a good option at the close range you would need it, better than a handgun.

Thanks for the input ,
    Most of my expirence is in tight canyons and thick vegitation, mountains mostly.there only split second to act rather than carefully taking aim taking your time . I took off the scope and leave it to the iron sights on the 44 mag rifle simply because of that issue. From the things I am hearing and seeing, most of the hunting is at a fair distance , lots of open range. Arn't the winds fairly unstable in those places? seems that the lighter rounds might be more easily distracted ? Or am I insane thinking to hunt a bear at closer than 100 yards ?

Lots of bears are taken within 100 yards. However to intentionally shoot a big brown bear or interior grizzly with a .44 mag at that range is not something I would recommend for a long and pain free life. Don't get me wrong, people do it but I'd rather have something with a little more power. Wind varies like most places and needs to be taken into consideration. Most shots can be taken within 200 yards or so (most, not all gentlemen)

You don't have to shoot long range for any thing up here. Every type of game in Alaska has fell to the bow

Actually I like my bow and prefir to use it , but there are times that carrying the 44 mag rifle in close quarters, is more comfortable, because of the agility in reaction time. I have met people and heard stories about bear meeting them at their kill while cleaning . A bow is good for stalking ,getting up close and personal , but I would feel awfully stupid, to leave at home, the capacity to efficiently retain my advantage, should things turn seriously against me, or some one I am with. Having been in search and rescue a number of years and dealing with thiose that did not prepare taught me a lot . Not that I'm going to get a 45-70, but some thing with a bit more spice to it than the 44 mag , I expect now.

It has become quite popular here for seal hunting, but then, the maximum range will be around 60 yards tops, and only head shots.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...