Thread: Mohawk 600 twist rate

Default Mohawk 600 twist rate

Any one know of a referrence to find the twist rate of a Remington 600 Mohawk in .243 and .308 (not the 660 vent rib)?

I'm also looking for favorite (accurate) loads in both. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    Any one know of a referrence to find the twist rate of a Remington 600 Mohawk in .243 and .308 (not the 660 vent rib)?

I'm also looking for favorite (accurate) loads in both. Thanks.
    They are both probably 1-10". It is easy to measure it in your rifle. Cleaning rod & jag with a tight fitting patch a piece of masking tape and a ruler are all you need.

Default Twist

The 243 should be 1;10 twist and the 308 should be 1;12 twist.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

The one we used to have in 243 was really fond of a max charge of IMR4831 or H4350 under a 100 grain Nosler partition. It accounted for a whole lot of deer in the hands of my wife and both daughters before they moved on to bigger calibers. Passed it on to a friend for his daughter, and he's ready to pass it back to me for my own granddaughter if she shows an interest.

Just too good a little gun to let very far out of sight. The rifle got buck fever the first time it saw a deer.... ;-) ....and missed on the first shot. As far as I know, it's had a perfect record of 1 shot kills since then. Hard to beat that! Over a span of almost 30 years, I bet it's accounted for twice that number of deer.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The 243 should be 1;10 twist and the 308 should be 1;12 twist.
    I know that Winchester produced rifles with a 1:12 and maybe Remington did too (?), but I thought that Remington made their hunting weight 308s with a 1:10. Perhaps this changed during their manufacturing 308s I don't know. I do know that they now come with 1:10 or 1:12 depending upon the particular model.

My .308 Mohawk measured 1-10 1/2" five times in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    Thanks for clearing this up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I know that Winchester produced rifles with a 1:12 and maybe Remington did too (?), but I thought that Remington made their hunting weight 308s with a 1:10. Perhaps this changed during their manufacturing 308s I don't know. I do know that they now come with 1:10 or 1:12 depending upon the particular model.
    Back at first intro, Remingtons's then-244 had a 1:12 twist and Winchester's 243 had a 1:10. The 244 wouldn't handle 100 grain spitzers, while the 243 would. Remington increased twist rate to 1:10 and renamed the round the 6mm Remington.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Back at first intro, Remingtons's then-244 had a 1:12 twist and Winchester's 243 had a 1:10. The 244 wouldn't handle 100 grain spitzers, while the 243 would. Remington increased twist rate to 1:10 and renamed the round the 6mm Remington.
    Sorry BB I guess my post was a bit vague. I meant that Winchester's original 308 Winchester rifles came with a 1:12 twist. I did not mean to imply or insinuate that the 243 Win came with a 1:12. You are absolutely correct in the 243 Win using the 1:10 from the beginning by Winchester and all others.

What I meant to say, though I didn't quite get it out, was that I know Remington (and Ruger as were others) used a 1:10 twist for the 308 Win early in standard production, but I am not certain if this was from the beginning or if Remington made their first 308 Winchesters with a 1:12 and then switched to 1:10 at a later date. According to 300S&W they were using approximately a 1:10 at a fairly early date in the 308 Win, but when & if that switch happened or if it had always been that way I cannot say.

I kinda wondered if you weren't talking about the 308 rather than the 243/6mm, but decided to post that anyway. Thanks for the clarification, though.

Now here's a further complication. I've got an early manufacture pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in 308, and it's 1:12! I have only a vague recollection, but IIRC that was Winchester's standard twist for those early Featherweights. The gunsmith I worked for at the time I bought it expressed concern about it's ability to use heavier bullets, but it turned out to be a tack driver with 180's, though I don't recall ever shooting anything heavier.

I don't know when the 1-12" .308 caliber twist rate became a concern (problem?) but my '65 edition of the Weatherby catalog lists the .300 with a 1-12" rate (I know,even they eventually went to 1-10"). They also list the available .300 Weatherby ammo with 110,150,180,220 RN & FMJ Hornadys and 150,180,and 200 Noslers. Evidently 1-12 worked for them.
    I know when trying to decide what twist rate to go with when having a 98 Mauser rebored to 9.3,I ran into twist rates that spanned 1-10" to 1-16" (ened up going 1-12"). EVERYBODY said their twist rates,whether 10,12,14,or 16,worked for them. Who woulda thought. And yea,my 1-12 works for me. LOL

Now here's a further complication. I've got an early manufacture pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in 308, and it's 1:12! I have only a vague recollection, but IIRC that was Winchester's standard twist for those early Featherweights. The gunsmith I worked for at the time I bought it expressed concern about it's ability to use heavier bullets, but it turned out to be a tack driver with 180's, though I don't recall ever shooting anything heavier.
    I had a '56 Model 88 that came with a 1:12 twist just as your FWT. It proved to be completely incompatible with heavier bullets and I settled on 165 spitzers. I always thought it unfair to take too much from that experience with a 1:12 as it would only drive tacks when using the butt-stock or receiver as a hammer. Normally it produced more of a pattern (reminiscent of 12 gauge OO buck) than groups. I finally sold it off after years of load work. I loved the action and it was a very good looking rifle IMO, but it was always too heavy and its accuracy could not take advantage of the 308 cartridge.

Sounds as though your 88 was behaving like mine in 358 Winchester once did. Too late to tell you this, but there was (is) a way to rebed the 88 and considerably improve it. It's been almost 40 years since I rebedded mine and I don't recall the details, but the info still has to be out there somewhere. I wouldn't turn down another 88 based on accuracy if it came along at the right price.

Sounds as though your 88 was behaving like mine in 358 Winchester once did. Too late to tell you this, but there was (is) a way to rebed the 88 and considerably improve it. It's been almost 40 years since I rebedded mine and I don't recall the details, but the info still has to be out there somewhere. I wouldn't turn down another 88 based on accuracy if it came along at the right price.
    I may have missed the secret to the bedding issue, but I had the stock rebedded and that didn't show dramatic improvement. It was an early model which are notorious for cracking/splitting at the tang. Mine split and I had the stock repaired and the smith suggested some bedding tweaks to improve its accuracy. I can't say it really helped that rifle too much so maybe there was another way to tweak it a bit.

Sounds like there's bedding, and then there's bedding. I'd have to get mine back from its temporary home in another state to look at the bedding and refresh my memory. As I recall, it was more like rebedding a Ruger #1 for accuracy than a conventional rebed for a one-piece stock. Reaching wayyyyyy to far back into my brain cells to be sure though. BTW- My 284 hovers between 1" and 1.5", no matter what you send down the bore. Handloads, factory loads, any weight. Doesn't seem to matter. It's a tossup whether it or my Savage 99 284 is the more accurate rifle. Both are dandy!

Default 600 Mohawks

I've been hijacked!

Can anyone answer the original question (not all the probablys), a refferrence would be great. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post

Thought I did!

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    I've been hijacked!

Can anyone answer the original question (not all the probablys), a refferrence would be great. Thanks.
    I did.

1:10" for 243. Not sure about the 308 cuzz I've never owned one, but it's either 1:10 or 1:12 I bet. Either should stabilize bullets to 180.

Default 660 mohawks

I have a 660 mohawk without the rib in 243 Win with 1/10 and a 660 with the rib in 308 with a 1/12 twist rate.
    The 243 is my wife's wedding present.
    The 308 is a future brush gun.
    Both have really nice wood.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default thanks

Thanks for the info. I gotta work up some loads for both.