Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC's of Reloading table

Default ABC's of Reloading table

I am new to reloading and after reading this forum I picked up the ABC's of reloading book and decided to build the table the book has plans for. I just completed it tonight except for the finger pulls on the sliding doors because I didnt have the right size drill bit. Thought you might want to see what it looks like in color. It took me two weeks and several lunch hours of running home to apply some stain or polyurethane.Total cost of all the materials was about $220 and I used 5/8 plywood finished on one side.

I wont get a chance to put it to use for about 3 months due to work but I am sure when I do I will have some questions. I love this sight and the helpful advice I see given on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1524.jpg  

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

great work all the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!nice
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You make us all jealous with that table. Nice work!

Looks great! I bet it'll work great too.

Default nice

Very nice I wanted to build one myself but I do not own a table saw to cut the pieces out. I tryed to find someone to hire to cut for me but did not find anyone with a saw. Did you do your own cutting?

22' SeaSport coho
    TigerBight call sign

Thumbs up

That came out great much better than the old desk I am currently using. I need to get off my butt and build something along those lines.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Very nice I wanted to build one myself but I do not own a table saw to cut the pieces out. I tryed to find someone to hire to cut for me but did not find anyone with a saw. Did you do your own cutting?

sea wolf, a table saw is a large and expensive item that many folks do not have as part of a tool inventory. except me... i guess i have two any way... there is a lot of different types of cutting that can be done with out that type of saw... for the most part mine sit in the shed unused.

a good set of saw horses, some clamp and some basic knowledge of setting up guide edges, or a lot of practice following the line. you can build our own tables and other items with a $30.00 circular saw... and a small sander.

there are now blades made for the circular saws that will Dado (cut grooves) like a table saw and with a bit of practice you will be making sliding panels and such...

a basic tool it of a cordless drill, a 7 1/4" saw clamps, horse or work table and fasteners a guy can get a ton of work and projects done for a lot less space then the ol table saw takes up...

mine? i use them to cut long boards down to trim size..all my kitchen cabinets, counter tops, and bars i build are for the most part built with hand/ hand power tools ..

give it a try lots of ways to build stuff with out other tools, fun too!!!

Default Tools

I didnt have a table saw either Seawolf. I picked up a two piece aluminum guide that you C clamp on each end and just follow with a standard circular saw. I used the 2 by 4s on sawhorses and bought two of those Irwin quick clamps to hold the plywood with. It took me longer than it would have with a table saw, but went relatively quickly once I figured out the measurement to make the saw cut whichever side of the line I needed.

I did not have a dado to cut the door slides with. This took me a little bit longer but I still managed to turn them out nicely with the aluminum guide.

I would definitely recommend it. Just take your time.

That is a great looking table! I need to make one myself... right now I'm using my kithcen table

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I have a cast iron table saw you can have for $50 if you want. You don't need one though, you can do it all with a circle saw and the straight edge of a sheet of plywood.

Great looking bench with all that finish on it, good job 58D!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I agree, great looking bench.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Nice work!

better archive that picture some place, cause in a few months it will covered with so much gear and stuff that you will never remember what it looked like!

Let the reloading begin!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    better archive that picture some place, cause in a few months it will covered with so much gear and stuff that you will never remember what it looked like!

Let the reloading begin!
    So true . . . so true!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post

Let the reloading begin!
    Maybe like a lot of us you started reloading to save on ammo... I wonder what all that stuff would add up to in retail and how many GW's went flying down the tube???

Good point MR. With 20 rounds of premium shells costing $50 dollars a box up here, that table represents about 4 1/2 boxes. Of course that is just a drop in the bucket compared to what I am about to spend on the items I need to use it. I am planning on picking up the RCBS Master Kit tomorrow and mount the press to it! I have thought long and hard on which one to buy and whether or not to buy a kit.

I am not starting to reload to save money, though I believe it will over time. I am doing it more out of the personal satisfaction, accuracy, and enjoyment I will get out of it. Also, because I will be able to go the range and fire 20 carefully aimed shots without spending $50 dollars. On the other hand I am sure I will shoot more, which will cost more but greatly increase my proficiency and understanding of the rifles I shoot.

My friend from home reloads and I have slid a minimum amount of brass into his reloading set up at. We both had 308s at the time so he invited me over to try it. After that I always knew that one day I would get into it.

I can't wait to get started! Unfortunately SW does not have 300 WSM dies in the store. By the time they get here after I order them I will not be able to use them for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by 58D View Post
    I am not starting to reload to save money, though I believe it will over time. I am doing it more out of the personal satisfaction, accuracy, and enjoyment I will get out of it. Also, because I will be able to go the range and fire 20 carefully aimed shots without spending $50 dollars. On the other hand I am sure I will shoot more, which will cost more but greatly increase my proficiency and understanding of the rifles I shoot.
    That's what it's all about.... the personal satisfaction. Some guys will handload just enough to shoot a few and hunt. But a lot of us will handload to shoot to keep trying out new combos. It is too easy to pump out cartridges and head to the range to see what they do But it is a whole lotta fun!

Quote Originally Posted by 58D View Post
    There are numbers of reasons I handload, but I never say it's to save money though handloads are less expensive per cartridge. Shooting is a budget line item in our house. Each month I have x dollars to spend and handloading allows me more bangs for the buck. Given my druthers I like to shoot more and handloading allows me that, but I (& my wife) know that in all of these years I have not saved a dime by handloading.

Originally Posted by 58D
    Pffffffft..................I think you could probably build and sell a few of those tables and not only save money, but finance the initial outlay of your new-found hobby.
    Now what ?

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default 58D

Very nice bench! It's a great feeling making it yourself, isn't it?

Ralph

Thumbs up i was just fliping thur the abc of reloading sunday..

had that book forever it seems....seen that bench with all the notes on how to build.....your is the 1st i've seen outside that book....good job...now go spend a bunch of money and get at it!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast