Thread: Stabilized Gasoline?

Default Stabilized Gasoline?

Is there any way to stabilize drums of gasoline for long-term (longer than 12 months) storage?
    Χάρις υμίν καί είρήνη άπό θεου...

I know one thing not to use. It is a metal tablet looking thing. It claims to stabilize your gas but it is just snake oil. It's made by Fitch.

STA-BIL's website claims that if you double the dosage it will keep the fuel good for 2 years.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx
    That's what she said...

Hmmm... Refreshing an entire long-term gasoline supply every 2 years doesn't sound so good... Any better long-term fuel sources?

Default Great question

Gasoline absorbs water from the atmosphere and it slowly oxidizes in storage (forming sludge), which is why it "goes bad". No matter what additive you put in the gas it'll still go bad over time if air can get to it.

Oxygen and water vapor will seep through any plastic container in long term storage. The key to long term storage is to keep ambient air from getting to your gasoline and the only way to do that is to put it in a AIRTIGHT metal container.

I've got 200 gals in an aluminum square tank that I welded up. The tank is only 3/4 full and I've evidently got a partial vacuum in the tank now because the skin is sucked in to the internal bracing.

I didnt fill it up all the way (which would have prevented the vaccuum) because I ran out of money when I was filling it, and now I dont want to open up the fill pipe and let more oxygen in.

If I were to do it again I wouldnt make a square tank, I'd go find a large round steel pipe section and just weld a plate to either end of the tube, would have been easier and a lot cheaper too. The aluminum was dang expensive.

Default stablize gas

I have worked in the marine industry a number of years , we stoared customers boats with full tanks And we used OMC's 2+4, I'ved taken boats stoared over 5 years and with a new battery lit up like they had just been running .
    Every piece of equipment that I have is prepared that way so that neither heat nor cold will ruin the fuel. Not all storage conditioners are the same , also a full tank has less air space. Plastic tanks are best and won't explode In a fire like steel can.

I just fired up my generator after letting it sit for 7 or 8 years with the same gas in it. I "think" I put stabil in it, if I didn't use stabil, I didn't put anything in it. The generator fired up first pull and ran like a champ all night. The tank was full and the generator was stored in a cold tool shed.

If it was a high performance two stroke I would have either drained the tank when I stored it, or I would have either burned all the stabilized fuel out every couple months. For normal "general" performance engines I don't worry about it.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

What about "White Gas"? I've been told that since it has basically no additives, it doesn't deteriorate like treated (pump) gas does. Is there a way to get white gas outside of little 1-gallon camping style cans?

There is a way to store gasoline for the long term, but the easiest routine might be to keep a rolling stock on hand. Aside from safety issues, storage near structures, possible leaks and all that hoohaw, I know that Sta-Bil (and similar) will work fine for 2 years. You CAN store gasoline indefinitely, but you have to approach it from a chemistry perspective. The thing to Google about is how to use slightly pressurized butane or propane in sealed fuel drums to do it. Here's one link that alludes to the method that you might be interested in:

http://yarchive.net/car/gasoline_storage.html

This guy uses appropriate air-tight and gasoline compatible (seals, no copper, etc) drums to which he's piped camping lamp type butane canisters to keep a pressurized butane atmosphere on top of the gasoline at all times. This allows you to store gasoline indefinitely ...but is kind of a hassle. I do know of someone out in the boonies that is storing fuel like this and has stuff that's 15 years old that burns like it's brand new. I just haven't researched it too much myself. I do store fuel all winter each winter (50 gallons) for our back-up generator, but we treat it with Sta-Bil and pour it off into our vehicles when Spring warm weather returns. Unless you're worried about some kind of apocalyptic end of the country or world or something, I really can't figure out why an effort greater than this would be necessary. If you are REALLY worried about that stuff (and I'm not), then buy an older carbureted vehicle and re-jet it to run on propane, provide back-up heat to your dwelling that uses propane, then just go fill a 2000+ gallon tank of propane and be done with it ...no fancy tricks necessary. If you are worried about electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) attacks (ranked as our #1 risk by Washington DC's best, even above terrorism), then that same older vehicle with the carburetor is still a good bet ...make sure it's a vehicle with points and condenser, no electronics, and store it in a grounded metal shed ..it'll still run after an EMP burst. I find this stuff interesting, but not 'real enough' to do anything about... I would likely think differently if I lived within the effect radius of NYC or DC however.

Brian

There are shelf stable gas alternatives, but I'm sure they are expensive. Usually they are sold in 1 gallon containers.
    http://www.aspen.se/Aspen_%28eng%29_...I-637326_.aspx
    Something like that.

Personally I have thought about just converting everything to propane.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default Sea foam

I heard of using "SeaFoam" for fuel stabilizer, is there any thruth to this? I am not sure that is any better than "Stabil", but maybe it is good for shorter term storage...Sometimes it is good to have an alternative option fuel stabilizer depending on what is available in your garage or the store...