Thread: How hard to change KQ LT300 head gasket?

Default How hard to change KQ LT300 head gasket?

The old beast is losing a little oil around the head, and it looks like I need a new head gasket. Do I have to pull the engine?

is it the base gasket? the one under the cylinder or the one on top? if its the top one there is no gasket its black suzuki sealant. if its the base gasket still not tough but you will just need to make sure you dont let the cam chain fill down in the case and you will need to make sure you get it timed right when you put it back together. no you wont have to pull the eng.

Not hard. My 13 y.o. son did one solo (without my help) with just the book to guide his way. Re-timing it is a piece of cake, too. His was on the 250, but the proceedure is almost identical. No need to remove the engine either. Do you have a book? If not we could loan you ours.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Lightbulb easy...

use a book , yup don't let chain drop, time it rite... .006 both the valves.... make sure ...as long as u have it apart .. that u don't need more done .. every thing u will be taking apart to fix the leak , is about what u'ed do for a new chain..piston and valve job... if it's any where's near worn mite as well "get er done" ps what year..i can take it off your hands.......
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Thanks gents!

It's actually not the head gasket, it's the uppermost gasket (valve cover?). I ordered a top end gasket kit. Sounds like I might just need to pull the cover, reseal it, and retorque it huh?

ATV, it's a '01. Plastic is in rough shape, but everything works. I got it well used, and now pretty much only use it for plowing my driveway... can't afford to buy another.

Sounds like I might just need to pull the cover, reseal it, and retorque it huh?
    thats it, dont over tighten and dont use to much.