Thread: Best headlamp?

Default Best headlamp?

Any recommendations? 10 dog team, up to 35 mile runs, cold temps 0- -30, plenty of snowmobile traffic.

I want something that has a battery pack I can put under my parka to keep batteries warm. Is there any LED lights that have a strong beam that will shine well past the leaders and can catch the attention of snowmobilers using the same trail? I've glanced at reviews on the Petzl Arctic; does anyone have any experience with this light? Let me know what works for you and what you like the best.

Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

that seems to be my complaint the really good ones all have head band mounted batteries... i was in beaver sports the other day and played with ONE HECK Of a head lamp... it lit up the room with all the lights on... all LED i did not get any info on it...( was on display on the mountaineering counter) but i am going back to ask... it had a similar battery pack to the petzal i use now.. i have found that only lithiums will keep it up in the cold...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

A snowmobile will see a headlight, the problem is he will not know you are a dog musher or a snowmobile. Put reflector tape on your coat and dogs, red flashing ledís will stand out. The dog mushing shops would be a good place to look for an light. Led lights are short range lights.

Here you go. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for really applies when it comes to headlamps.

http://www.coldspotfeeds.com/index.php?cPath=21_38
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Default H7

Here is the very best head lamp I have ever found. No comparison to ANY others. Wear it under your beaver hat in the winter. http://www.batteryjunction.com/led-lenser-h7.html

Brightest and the batterieas last a LONG time, and it has a life time warrenty.

Saltwater, those LED Lensers are pretty good lights for the money, but I would hesitate to recommend it for cold weather mushing. It runs on 3 AAA batts, not enough umppfff for running a dog team. I have the 1 watt version and it also used 3 AAA's so at three times the output (2.9 W) those batts would not last too long in the cold...they are good lights, but my princeton apex has outlasted the Lensers by a long shot..in durability

DK,
    not agruing with ya, but I got my H7 in feb and havent changed the batteries yet (I use it all the time). The battery case is small enuf to fit under a hat to stay warm and the beam is strong enuf to use as a headlight on a snowmachine (IMHO). Rated to over 500 feet. I also carry another light just in case I need to change batteries in the dark!! We'll see how it does this winter when things get really cold.

Wink

DK,

Just looked up your head lamp, sounds like a really good one. Thanks for the info and the extra opinion. I'll put it in my list of goodies to "need" lol.

T

this is not really 900 lumens more like 600 but at the price $85 it can't be beat. I mounted it to my bike and its the first light I haven't been able to outride. Its also the first light where I felt like automobiles on the road respect me.
    http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?...roducts_id=138

the battery pack lasts about 3 hours. So if you need longer lighting I guess get a 2nd battery pack. the beam is broad spectrum.

I also purchased a yellow Carhartt reflective vest for $32 bucks. that definitely catches any light and fits easily over whatever jacket I am wearing. For the dogs I sew a 1 inch reflective strip onto a cloth backing and attach that to their O ring on their collars. the thing swings and "hops around" as they run and catches the eye of any passing "motorist". The dogs also have reflective strips on the harness.

I hope that helps.

Wow, that looks pretty good funhog. How well would that mount to a mushers hat? Could you velcro it on or would you need a strap?

thanks for the link.

I run a light from cold spot in fairbanks. It uses 4 "D" batteries and clips onto your belt. It also jas an adjustable beam, I think I paid 40.00 for it. It is quick connect so you can change out battery pack and is bright enought to rinde a sno go with no headlight. I would guess the beam will go out about 300' from my use. I go thru on set of batteries a yr running traps.

Jerimah