Thread: Mt. Doom and the Giant spiders of Uganik Island

Default Mt. Doom and the Giant spiders of Uganik Island

We four left for Homer in the dark of the night on Oct. 24. We arrived at the ferry terminal 3 hours early. The ferry was 2 1/2 hours late leaving UGGGH it was a long morning. We arrived that night at the Coast guard guest house Great facility.

We were to fly on Oct. 26 but west winds prevented this it was tough seeing planes fly out of the sea plane base all day in the flat calm but we could not fly. The 26th was not one of my better days after packing our gear up the gang way twice . I was a little tense.

The 27th the winds on the west side died down and we were off.

I climbed Mt. Doom right after I swept out the cabin. I got a good lay of the land. The mountain behind the cabin became know as Mt. Doom after the first ascent. Its only 1600 ft high but you start at 57 ft and its an 1100 yard straight line to the top by range finder. Between the steepness and spider web like alders it earned its name.

Day two we put the boat together so I could hunt the salmon streams on the east side of the island. One problem we could only get half throttle from the motor in forward. Full throttle in reverse but not forward we tried everything we could think of with limited tools and no parts. We could only use the boat close to the cabin seriously putting a hurt on my bear hunting. My partner shot a doe on the beach across from the cabin in the afternoon and another at dusk.

Day three we saw a Sow and cubs heading into the spider webs on Mt Doom.

Seeing very little bear sign down low we decided to climb Mt. Doom for a look. We left at first light on day 4,after a long climb we finally summited. Two stayed on the first knob to watch. My partner and I went to the next knob. We scared up a huge forked horn which the first 2 harvested. We kept going we walked another 400 yards and I spotted a 10 point double fork. I harvested him. I went down to the buck and scared up 5 does which my partner took one. In 45 minutes we had 2 trophy bucks and a doe down. We had our work cut out for us packing everything down the mountain. We hit the beach at dark that night.

On day 5 we saw a 9 ft. ish bear coming out of the spider webs into the tidal flats we were watching. He was 324 yards out and heading right to us we had the wind in our favor I though my bear was in the bag. Without warning he turned and walked back into the spider webs never to be seen again. We never saw another fresh bear track or a bear the rest of the trip.

We flew out with lots of deer meat and good memories. I will post as many pics as the site will allow.

first pics of Mt. Doom and view from Mt. Doom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

My partner with my deer and happy hunters after summiting Mt. Doom
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Seaplane base and roughing it
    Unknown author

Meat shed and cabin
    Unknown author

Unknown author

Waiting to go home Coast guard guest house
    Unknown author

broken boat
    Unknown author

Default deer

Looks like a great trip! Where were you hunting?? Deer in AK are on my to do list!

Wink

Good buck, but everyone I know up here calls it a 4 point. Western count kicks in and I don't think anyone wants a bad habit to get started.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

That is one of the better bucks I have seen in a while. Would be nice to see some better pics if you have any.

Thumbs up

Sounds like a fun hunt sorry you were not able to connect with a brownie. That is one good looking black tail though!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default outboard

Your outboard problem may have come from a gas tank that was having venting problems for whatever reason. If the vent is partially blocked it can create a vacuum effect. The more gas the engine tries to draw (ie at higher rpms) the worse the problem gets. At idle or low rpms there may be enough venting for the gas being drawn. In reverse, the rpms normally don't turn up as high so that may explain why it would do full reverse and not forward. The simple solution is to crack the cap on the tank allowing more air to get in.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Default Ditto on pics

That right there is a fine Sitka! I'd also enjoy a few more angles. That was a premium animal you should be pleased.

I'm glad you had a chance to have an adventure. I too was once dropped off with a bum outboard. I ended up rebuilding the carb with a leathermans tool and it ran fine. In my case the carb was gumed up and just needed cleaning.

Red face murphies law

Makes me miss the nasty weather, alder and thorns of the emerald isle. Bummer thing about that big bear is you were probably chasing each other. You headed down to where he was while he probably ended up feasting on your deer remains! Its weird to hear of difficulty finding bears on Kodiak when usually you cannot avoid them and they are a royal PIA. But thats Murphies law right? If you were only deer hunting they probably would have overrun your cabin and ate your raft........
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Here's one of the two we took on top the one on the left is the big forked horn he's entered in the Boonedocks big buck contest. I did not buy a ticket so live and learn. Most of my pictures aren't any better than the one below my partner did not think to take pictures with the brush out of the way so the only picture that is decent is the one of him taken by me. The shop thinks the boat motor problem is in the linkage.
    Unknown author

Smile Cool

Looks like an overall great trip and nice deer.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Default Nice Deer

Hey sounds like you all had a good trip. So nice deer too. Wish you had found that bear.

Default nice deer

That is a nice 10pter. My buddy won the Boondocks a few years back with a similar deer. That is a trophy and some great eats!!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!