Thread: long lake ice depth

Default long lake ice depth

anyone heard anything on ice depth on long lake latley. I checked the ice on 6 mile on Elmendorf today and it was 3.5 inches. I couldnt help but think that it is a bit deeper up there.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Here in meadow lakes we had 4.5" yesterday. It'll be good enough this next weekend.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Is it the long lake up toward matanuska glacier?

If so, on Thursday it wasn't even completely iced over. In fact, just the little bay on the chickaloon side had ice and it only went out about 100 feet. Just past it is wiener lake, which had a fishable 4-5 inches (also thursday). We had a few hits, but didn't catch anything.

Was at Long Lake up by Mat Glacier today, and its still not iced over. Just the little bay. Very windy and 29 deg.

i cant wait! got some really cool lures and techniques i wanna experiment with.

Release Lake Trout

Personally I won't go out on anything less than 6", and 8 for my sled/4 wheeler, but I could go out on 4 and not worry too much. Good fresh ice is really strong.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    i cant wait! got some really cool lures and techniques i wanna experiment with.
    I have a few things to try also. A few areas that need fished and explored too. I will wait for some solid ice though. I prefer a foot of ice at LL for snowmachines, sleds and gear.

I also want some time on the old Tundra in some decent powder and boondocking.

Gotta haul freight too. T&G for the ceiling, siding, cabinets, 2X4s and firewood for the stove.

Mike

ive got my limits myself....at least 5" for just me and my lite day trip sled, and at least a foot for my machine.

Release Lake Trout

Drove past long lake on sunday on the way to lake lousie for rabbit hunting with my nine year old never saw a rabbit. Long lake is still open for the most part. Hope this helps if anyone know where I can get my son into some rabbits let me know hes been hunting hard with me and just no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Drove past long lake on sunday on the way to lake lousie for rabbit hunting with my nine year old never saw a rabbit. Long lake is still open for the most part. Hope this helps if anyone know where I can get my son into some rabbits let me know hes been hunting hard with me and just no luck.
    try the knik river breaks from the glenn highway bridge or the old glenn highway bridge, or try jim creek area...should be lotsa bunnies millin around, especially with this cold weather.

Release Lake Trout

Default Ice thickness????

I'm curious if anyone knows the thickness on Long lake as of this week? Looking at possibly going there this weekend.
    Thanks

Default Froze fast!

We went up there last weekend and there was over 10" of ice all the way out past the rock. Plenty of ice for the atv and 3 of us. Caught a few nice char to boot. Pretty slow over all though.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page