Thread: T-N-T

Default T-N-T

Terry n Travis's hunt

Just walked in from local goat hunt. I flew in all the gear and scouted from about 11 am to 3 pm on friday, at 3:30 pm travis arrived and we flew in for our hunt. We saw numerous goats on the way-in and from camp. On the way in there was a plane parked 500 yards from our tent, so I thought it was going to be a crowded hunt. Well, a nice guy name David walked up and introduced himself and we came up with a plan. Travis and I would hunt to the south and he could hunt the billy to the north. One hour before light Travis and I headed out to where we saw some goats the day before from camp. About 2 hours later we could only see nannys and kids, so we continued on our walk about. We rounded the corner and a nice single long horned goat was walking up the cliff, at 260 yards. I had to get closer and out of brush to get shot. At 200 yards goat the goat was starting to disappear, so I let it taste my 7mm. Would of took good pics but only had the iphone which was at the plane. So, short work and the 9" nanny with beautiful hair was cleaned and packed. We were about a 1/3 the way back when we came upon 6 goats, which we had seen earlier, and we started to continue when travis noticed a big goat about 200 yards straight up. He pulled out his spotting scope and was pretty sure it was a billy, so I said shoot it. After the 198 yard single shot kill the goat fell into and got stuck in a rock about 150 yard straight up the cliff. About 30 seconds later the goat starts to tumble. It came to rest about 40 yards from where we were standing. He tagged his 9.25 inch billy and hiked my to camp with my goat. Shortly returned to find raven had found his bully, but luckily did not real damage. After pics and short hike back were back to camp by 3pm. Dont think we could ask for a better trip. Best part of it is Travis was a total stranger, who volunteered to tag along when I said on another post that I would take a second before the hunt and now I have another friend.

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work on the goats there Terry. I would have jumped at the chance to run back there and goat hunt with ya, but I already had plans goat hunting elsewhere. Nice looking goats for sure. Glad everything worked out. Great job!!

Rumor had it there were some explosives flown into the mountains. I heard it didn't go so well so you resorted to using the rifles.

Congrats on the goats and way to get it done. I bet Travis is glad he tagged along. That's a hell of a consolation prize!

Wink

One thing that I have found that works well, when you have to leave an animal for any period of time before dressing and skinning. Have your partner take his/her shirt off and wrap the head and face up real good, if you want to keep the birds off the cape.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Sorry about my typing

Sorry about all the errors in my typing, only had a moment and was still hyped. Just got back from my taxidermist, and currently looking forward to a cool half mount from it. It made me realize that I need to get into better shape and maybe chase sheep or get a billy to make a pair next year. Going to rest tomorrow and hit the gym starting tuesday.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It made me realize that I need to get into better shape and maybe chase sheep or get a billy to make a pair next year. Going to rest tomorrow and hit the gym starting tuesday.

Terry
    I hear ya there. After my goat hunt last October I realized I needed to get into better shape and since then I've lost nearly 25 pounds and have a ton more stamina.

Thumbs up

Nice job on the goat hunt and glad to see the new friendship worked out!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default Easy boys

You guys are all starting to make it look easy. Bam, Bam......goat, goat..

I usually start training again for the upcomming year in January. By August I'm ready to climb hard and long. Right now I just recoup and let fitness slide just a little. Seven months of preperation is really good if your doing it right.

Was that your personal plane?

Smile The Hunt

Yea Bighorse, goat hunting is easy that's why this was my first successful goat trip out of four. The plane in the background is my citabria 7 GCBC, that has alot of mods to allow me to do most of the bush flying I want to do. I did not know goat tasted so good, had half a backstrap myself today for lunch. I would say, the taste is some where between beef and sheep, just a little chewier.

We thought about putting one of our shirts on the animal, but it probably would not of been edible then(Just Joking). Found that out when Dave who was hunting to the north of us came to help pack and see if he could find any shootable goats.

Terry

Default Thanks to Terry

Terry your original write-up did make it seem like it was a little too easy.

I didn't realize that goats were so hard to judge. I took the id test on adfg website and I have to admit I was having a little trouble in the field distinguishing between big billies and old nannies. I looked at my goat for what seemed 10 mins at 200yrds in my 10x binos and still had to pull out the spotter to be sure it was a billy. In the spotter I could see the thick bases and the scent glands. Once I said I was sure it was a billy Terry said shoot. The goat wasn't nervous or anything so I took my time and hit him with the rangefinder- 198yrds. Perfect my .300wm is zeroed in at 200yrds. He was quartering towards me a little so I put the cross hair on his shoulder and released the 180 grain Barnes triple-shock. At the shot the goat starting rolling down towards us. He stopped half way and just as we were getting worried he kicked once and rolled the rest of the way down the cliff. He ended up cracking the tip of one of his horns but I'm sure a taxidermist can fix it. He taped out at 9 and 7/8th inchs with 5.5 inch bases. Not bad for a first goat.

Just to clear it up- how many times did you let it “taste your 7mm”? lol

Terry thanks again. I'll hunt with you anytime!! The backstraps and tenderloin my wife cooked last night were amazing. I’ll but goat right up there with sheep!

Now I have to find a taxidermist for a rug style mount. Any recommendations?

Talking Good Job

Cool and congrats on the goat
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Terry your original write-up did make it seem like it was a little too easy.

I didn't realize that goats were so hard to judge. I took the id test on adfg website and I have to admit I was having a little trouble in the field distinguishing between big billies and old nannies. I looked at my goat for what seemed 10 mins at 200yrds in my 10x binos and still had to pull out the spotter to be sure it was a billy. In the spotter I could see the thick bases and the scent glands. Once I said I was sure it was a billy Terry said shoot. The goat wasn't nervous or anything so I took my time and hit him with the rangefinder- 198yrds. Perfect my .300wm is zeroed in at 200yrds. He was quartering towards me a little so I put the cross hair on his shoulder and released the 180 grain Barnes triple-shock. At the shot the goat starting rolling down towards us. He stopped half way and just as we were getting worried he kicked once and rolled the rest of the way down the cliff. He ended up cracking the tip of one of his horns but I'm sure a taxidermist can fix it. He taped out at 9 and 7/8th inchs with 5.5 inch bases. Not bad for a first goat.

Just to clear it up- how many times did you let it “taste your 7mm”? lol

Terry thanks again. I'll hunt with you anytime!! The backstraps and tenderloin my wife cooked last night were amazing. I’ll but goat right up there with sheep!

Now I have to find a taxidermist for a rug style mount. Any recommendations?
    Travis,

Mike Frasier at Fur and Feather does a great job. Congrats on the goat.

-Derrick
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Congrats on the goats

Congrats on the goats. It's nice when a plan comes together. Travis - I'd say you made up for the non-productive float hunt
    Last edited by wolfeel; 11-09-2009 at 23:50. Reason: Forgot something

Congrats guys. Nice sheep and being an old Citabria owner, love the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    One thing that I have found that works well, when you have to leave an animal for any period of time before dressing and skinning. Have your partner take his/her shirt off and wrap the head and face up real good, if you want to keep the birds off the cape.
    AKRES,
    That is a really good idea. I had a buddy who lost lots of his cap this year to birds. I'll pass it on and thanks for sharring