Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnson Lake above turnagain pass?

Default Johnson Lake above turnagain pass?

has anyone ever fished Johnson Lake above turnagain pass? an old timer says theres kamloops trout in there, and big ones....also rainbows.

Release Lake Trout

Never fished Johnson in the winter, have tho' fished Johnson and neighboring Bench lake in the summer. Not sure about Kamloops, but both lakes did have trout and grayling.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Never fished Johnson in the winter, have tho' fished Johnson and neighboring Bench lake in the summer. Not sure about Kamloops, but both lakes did have trout and grayling.
    Ditto. Not sure I would even know a "Kamloops Trout" if I caught one. Bench Lake seemed to the best for the Grayling, for me.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

http://www.bcadventure.com/ronnewman/kamloops.phtml

Apparently Kamloops trout do exist; however, I have fished Johnson Lake and had no idea the fish we where catching where any different then any other rainbow trout. I think the largest trout was 18 inches not any differant then any other rainbow from a lake in the area. I don't think i would Ice fish there as it is in the hart of avalanche danger not say you would have to go through miles hazardous train to get there. nice hike in the summer though.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    http://www.bcadventure.com/ronnewman/kamloops.phtml I don't think i would Ice fish there as it is in the hart of avalanche danger not say you would have to go through miles hazardous train to get there. nice hike in the summer though.
    Avalanche's can happen anywhere in the region, but I have done the loop from Turnagain Pass to Moose Pass on this trail many, many times. Never had a problem with slides on the trail. Have other's experienced problems along this route?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

last winter in johnson pass we (7 of us) were riding up the trail, a few miles back, had alot of overflow and a huge hole in middle of the trail crossing a little but deep creek probably 3-4 feet deep. the uphill on the other side of the stream was very slick with solid ice, and when i hit it i slid back down haha, put my ass end about 1 foot in to the hole...that sucked. we turned around there and played on the powder of the open tundra near the highway (turnagain pass)....the next day a party was riding back there in johnson pass right about where we were, and they got hit by an avalanche and i know at least a couple people were killed. we were lucky and no, we are never going back there again.

Release Lake Trout

my friends and I hiked around bench lake and caught some nice graying. The hike makes for a great trip in the summer. However there are places I can catch 20 plus inch rainbows or places to catch 10 lbs lakers that don't involve traversing life threatening avalanche danger.

On the other hand diving down the Glenn, Parks and Seward Highways maybe more life threatening than hiking in avalanche zone.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    has anyone ever fished Johnson Lake above turnagain pass? an old timer says theres kamloops trout in there, and big ones....also rainbows.
    No BC Kamloops to speak of... these (Bench & Johnson) lakes are not real productive in terms of growing any big fish of any sort.

Not sure why the snowmobiling or ice fishing stuff entered the thread. Very good winter backcountry snowmachining and skiing up there... when you are competent.

This comes from experience... remaining always observant having a suitable assessment of the risks --- going in using reliable equipment with adherence to a travel plan.

Been routinely taking groups up there in winter for many & all seasons, however none where in the interest of ice-fishing.

That's not to say that it isn't worth another look in early wintertime. In fact, this kind of trip may be indication on the winter populations/locations/concentrations of fish in size, then what to look for come summer.

Kamaloops trout are just a subspecies of rainbow trout, they grow very large because they specialize on eating kokanee. I don't know if any every got brought up here, I kinda doubt it, most of the early stockings in this state were from local stocks as far as I know.

As far as avalanche danger, don't go into the mountains in the winter without beacon, probe, shovel, a partner and knowledge. I don't want my friends to have to dig your lifeless body out.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default The Monkey...

... hath spoken.

Patrick, you're speaking to grown ups here. Assume that other folks know a thing or two also, and use a little tact.

Every now and again I agree with Sayak...

Shush 'Monkey the adults are speaking......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

As far as avalanche danger, don't go into the mountains in the winter without beacon, probe, shovel, a partner and knowledge. I don't want my friends to have to dig your lifeless body out.
    Wow you should be doing brain surgery or open heart surgery with the weath of knowledge you share on here.

WE ARE NOT 2 YEARS OLD

Also I dont want you or your friends digging me out of anything. Id rather lie there and go fish the big river in the sky. Mr Fishing guide, fish counter, search and rescue. hell do you fly the helicopter in for the rescue too??????
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Like the sign at the local gas station used to read: "Hire 'em young, 'cause they know it ALL!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

Wise MAN also said...don't wipe you butt with just one square of toilet paper. Chances are your finger will poke through it

[QUOTE=AlaskaHippie;613009]Psssssst Chuck.....Only one "u" in surgery...

(sorry, but that was too ironic to pass up...)

[/QUOTE

What????? I only see one U in there

(After I hit send Hippie I went *^*Y(Y) I could not get back and edit before you nailed me on it I would rep you but gotta spread the love but Sayak got some

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Wise MAN also said...don't wipe you butt with just one square of toilet paper. Chances are your finger will poke through it

Hey I have no square to spare. I just used my sock

Default Misquote of Confucious there...

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    The actual quote is: "He who goes to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger."

Gosh, get it right wouldya.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post

What????? I only see one U in there

(After I hit send Hippie I went *^*Y(Y) I could not get back and edit before you nailed me on it I would rep you but gotta spread the love but Sayak got some

Huh?

<grin>

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    The actual quote is: "He who goes to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger."

Gosh, get it right wouldya.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Ok back on the thread. If there is a steep moountain and you get creamed in a slide. Junk Monkey will save you

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    If there is a steep moountain and you get creamed in a slide. Junk Monkey will save you

Only if you are carrying Twinkies in yer pack......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast