Thread: Electro Bear Fence??

Default Electro Bear Fence??

Looking at purchasing an electric bear fence to shelter a super cub.... Anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking a the 4lb airplane model www.electrobearguard.com Are they easy to assemble? There are a few different brands out there. Which one is best. I would like it to work... "Obviously".... but I don't want to spend all day setting it up either.

Howdy,

I have used electric fence ( wire rope for more that 7 years) and never had a bear enter the zone. The cabin uses a solar powered parmak and I have a portable cattle corral for the cub.

Only used the portable one bad bear season, but the tracks would indicate it worked well.

I don't remember the brand, but it uses D cell batteries and I rigged it to a cabin being bothered by bear one fall and the bear never entered again.

Wonder if the white rope or white ribbon would work without a charger just from experience?

GR

GR

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I used the electrobear gaurd fence this year at my tent camp on the kustatan river this year. There is a few tricks in useing it.
    I had to buy a extra ground rod which made it work better and i didnt like the D cell battery's i had a tester and the most i could get out of it was about 2000 volts. I bought a small 12 volt battery like for a 4-wheeler.
    and then i got 6000 volts. They dont work on gravel bars you cant get them to ground right. They make a net type fence for gravel that works great. Once i got it working it was great i seen about 10 bears (brown)
    and not one came in the camp. I could see there tracks where they walked up to the fence I dont know if they got shocked but some of the tracks came up to the fence then went the other way. Then i could see tracks where the came to the fence and walked all the way around it like they knew it was hot. I left the camp alone for up to eight hours and nothing. But i had a fire pit and some odds and ends outside the fence and bears tore it up. I will not be without one from now on they work that good. If you get one get a tester so you know how its working...

We have the 4 lb www.udap.com kit and use it on float trips. Nice kit and easy to put up. We got some small mesh bags to fill with rocks and support the corners. Works good, just attach 10' of 550 to the mesh bag and pull away from corners. Makes a difference in the wind for sure. I checked the company you linked but at the time we got ours, he wasn't making so many small kits. Seems he has expanded his product line which is good to see. Pic of ours below in NW Alaska last Sept...

Here is the mesh "rock bags" we use. Very tough, light, and cheap. Campmor sells these in several sizes and we use the larger 12x17 (or so) for tents rather than stakes. Much better on the gravel bars than stakes.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___48220

http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I bought the same fencer that Danattherock purchased, and it works great. No problem getting 6,000 volts. I purchased my fencer from the Fence Emporium in Palmer for about $100, and then spent another $50 for the stakes, wire, ground rod, etc. I couldn't be happier with the setup. They have a variety of stakes, too, depending on if you have rocky ground, sand, tundra, etc.

By the way, the dying animal sounds that the fencer makes doesn't seem to attract bears, even though I was convinced it would!

Thanks for the info guys... Looks like there is more than one type of fence depending on what and where I will be. I was kind of hoping for an alround model. Sounds like the usual.... Gotta have two or three of everything.

One ?? though.... Corn- What do you mean by dying animal sounds. Is it the fence or is the wind blowing through the fence and causing the sound?

Try using a second wire, rope or tape that is connected directly to the ground rod. Put the second wire close enough that the critter will have to touch both. This solves the problem of the critter standing on insulated property.

I use a live and ground about 6 inches apart.

GR

The fencer makes a chirping noise when it's operating. If I hadn't been warned about it by a buddy, it may have made me wonder if the chirping would attract critters. It hasn't yet. In fact, it's actually comforting to wake up in the night and be able to hear the fencer chirping and know that it's doing its job.

FYI, the Fence Emporium has several different models of fencers, stakes, wire, etc. to choose from, and the folks there are very knowledgable and helpful. I thought it was nice to be able to build my own package piece by piece instead of buying a kit that somebody else assembles.