Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wallas cabin heater/stove

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Wallas cabin heater/stove

I'm going to put a heater in my 29' ACB (very air tight 12' cabin plus cutty area),I've looked on line at all the heaters I can find,the Wallas 125(Hewescrafts come with,and are a cook top also) looks like would be pretty easy to install.What I would like to know is at 6000 btu how much will it raise the temperature ,any problem running in bad water and are they depenable?

Go to the C Dory forum website, plenty of info there. Wallas stoves get mixed reviews. Toyo makes a similar one. 6000 btu will be ok in summer, but not in april.

Now if you don't want to spend that much money. I wnet ahead and bought a big buddy heater and could not be any happier. I thought about the wallas but did not want to fork out $$$
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default wallas

I have the dual burner wallas in a similar size boat and have been happy with it. The blower lid is a bit noisy but when a family of fours raingear is dry in the a.m., who notices these things. Plenty of heat builds up on the back side of the stove, so am ducting heat from the back of the cabinet and bringing it into the cuddy and down to the floor for heat during hunting seasons. Very efficient if you are looking for a cooktop/heater combo. Have not had the stove shut off in rough water, primes easily and puts no strain on the battery.

Default wallas

I have a wallas that I just removed from my boat that I could sell. my boat is a 2005 26 Osprey, the wallas was used for one year, early and late summer. works perfect, just not warm enuf for year round use in AK.

Default Cabin heater

Another great investment with your cabin heater should be a marine-grade carbon monoxide detector. Because Alaskan boats are very often modified with enclosed cabins, heaters, etc., the risk of CO poisoning is higher than most other locations. The more you learn about CO, the scarier it gets. We have some really good resource material and a few of the CG Auxiliary vessel examiners have CO testers. Contact me with your concerns; I'll send you CO info resource links and put you in contact with an Aux vessel examiner to test your boat once the heater is installed. A heater will definitely extend your comfort level when boating and will make you much less susceptible to fatigue and hypothermia by staying warm and dry. The flip side to that coin is the CO poisoning potential; mitigate your risks and find out as much as you can about CO! Mike Folkerts USCG Boating Safety (907) 463-2297

Shanetrube - Send me a PM with price if you're still looking to sell the Wallas.

Default Wallas stove

I have a two burner stove top type Wallas in my 25" C-Dory and find it to be good for spring, summer and fall but less adequate for quick heat in winter. I am toying with adding a second diesel stove for back-up and winter use.

A buddy of mine has a wallas heater in his cabin. It's two seater custom made job with more insulation than a Hewes... the heater sucks... it barely knocks the chill off. My work boat has a Webasto... its not that much better. I get by with a Heatercraft heater on my personal boat, but it's an inboard. If I were going to go with a heater, it would be the marine toyostove. Another buddy of mine has one is a 22 ft. Hewescraft and it'll heat the whole cabin to a nice cozy temp.

Default Wallas

My Wallas works great in my Kingfisher, which has a cabin and cuddy about your size. Rarely run it above 2 or 3, even when below freezing outside. I hung some home-made curtains, that probably helps. The boat has a carpeting-type material on the ceiling and everything below the gunnel. That probably helps a bunch. On high setting, I think I could heat two of my cabins. It's nice to be able to dry things out, being exhausted outside like they are. A Buddy Heater will add more moisture to the inside. As stated earlier, it's a fuel miser, runs a week or so on one 2 1/2 gallon fill, and runs all night on one marine starting battery. I've always been able to start my 225 Honda with the same battery in the morning. You just need a place to cut the hole in a counter top. I don't know how you would run the vent outside on your ACB though... The vent on mine exits about a foot or so below the cooktop surface.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

My electricity went out a couple weeks back so I moved into the C-Dory sitting in my outbuilding. Temps got down to 29 but I was comfy inside at 72. It's been my experience that I can expect to maintain 40 degrees +/- over outside temp. The boat has no insulation. My Wallas uses about a gallon/24 hours.

Default Wallas Fuel Recommendations

What do you burn in your Wallas? I've got the single burner unit in my 26 Osprey and it calls for pariffin which is really expensive. I got some a while back at West Marine when it was half off, but still $25 for 1 1/2 gallons. I burned Pearl before and which seemed to burn OK. Anybody have any long term experience with different fuels and reliability/maintenance comments on the Wallas? I've only had to change the glow coil on mine so far.

My Wallas does OK deer hunting in near freezing conditions, but only gives about 20-25 degrees rise from outside temperature so marginal for winter conditions. I installed an Ardic diesel forced air unit in my previous 38 footer which we used for more extended winter hunting and skiiing trips. It required a lot of maintenance to keep it burning clean. The Wallas burner assembly is simpler so hopefully not as much trouble. I also had a Force 10 in my 26 Tolley which though vented, still wasn't as good as the Wallas in my opinion as the combustion chamber is open to the cabin space and getting it to draft everything out the tiny flue pipe wasn't a sure thing. The key to good heat up here is an enclosed combustion chamber adequately vented outside. The added moisture and products of combustion from open units in the cabin space is asking for trouble.

PHP Code:
    What do you burn in your Wallas
    I've used odorless mineral spirits( Ace or Klean Strip) with greatest success. Klean Heat is very popular and also works well for me. These are my top choices. 100% mineral spirits and K-1 Kerosene will also work. A bit smellier.

Question

Hi,
    I'm interested in using a boat cabin heater in my house. I've gone a bit alternative... solar, but no heat source at the moment...

I happened to see a Dickinson heater when I was using Stumble Upon yesterday. It was a whole new idea to me. It was used in a "tiny" house.

I like the looks of the Cosy Cabin heater and the fact it has an ignition... but I really know nothing about this type of heater.

I want something to take the chill off the house. I'm not looking to raise the temperature to 60 degrees... just take the chill off the house...

What do you think?

I did a web page of my solar going in... I didn't realize it went in not quite in the right place... But still...

http://www.health-boundaries-bite.com/Solar.html

Insulation, insulation, insulation.
    My brother-in-law has a C-Dory, and I have a Seasport, (we never run out of things to talk about when it comes to boating) he has turned me on to the C-brats website. Those C-Dory dudes are creative! He was having issues with the v-berth condensating and then dripping on him as he slept, venting was considered. There is some stuff in the "project" section on C-brats about some high-tech insulation with some properties for drying. To make a long story short; He needs insulation in his C-Dory, my Seasport already has plenty (hull thickness and all the cozy carpet stuff) we raft up together, my boat heats up with a match stick and he has the Wallas going. I would think that if the insulation was beefed up, especially in the aluminum boats out there, a guy could have more options with the heater choices.

Hey Mike!

How come the 5-Star UPV program doesn't include a CO detector? After several charter and whale-watching boats sent folks to the hospital with CO "issues" a few years ago, Juneau's Professional Mariners' Group has made a CO detector a requirement... I just wish more folks knew how scary this stuff really is!

-Case

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    Another great investment with your cabin heater should be a marine-grade carbon monoxide detector. Because Alaskan boats are very often modified with enclosed cabins, heaters, etc., the risk of CO poisoning is higher than most other locations. The more you learn about CO, the scarier it gets. We have some really good resource material and a few of the CG Auxiliary vessel examiners have CO testers. Contact me with your concerns; I'll send you CO info resource links and put you in contact with an Aux vessel examiner to test your boat once the heater is installed. A heater will definitely extend your comfort level when boating and will make you much less susceptible to fatigue and hypothermia by staying warm and dry. The flip side to that coin is the CO poisoning potential; mitigate your risks and find out as much as you can about CO! Mike Folkerts USCG Boating Safety (907) 463-2297
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Wallace 125 Du For Sale

A fellow member on C-Brat has this Wallace for sale, seems like I good deal if your looking for one of these units.

Wallace 125 DU. This is the model number of the 95 DU with the blower lid.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=7578
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Wallas Heater

Quote Originally Posted by shanetrube View Post
    I have a wallas that I just removed from my boat that I could sell. my boat is a 2005 26 Osprey, the wallas was used for one year, early and late summer. works perfect, just not warm enuf for year round use in AK.

We are farther south on 'Vancouver Island with an older Nordic Tug 26. I may be looking for something like this. Do you happen to have the model number... Is it the one that has a blower for cabin heating and a cook top with the lid up? My telephone is 250 468 7658

Default Wallas Heater

Or you could e-mail me at doncornish@shaw.ca. tx

Quote Originally Posted by ACBMAN View Post
    I'm going to put a heater in my 29' ACB (very air tight 12' cabin plus cutty area),I've looked on line at all the heaters I can find,the Wallas 125(Hewescrafts come with,and are a cook top also) looks like would be pretty easy to install.What I would like to know is at 6000 btu how much will it raise the temperature ,any problem running in bad water and are they depenable?
    I have had mine (dual burner cooktop with blower) for a few years and I love it. Surprisingly, it really heats the heck out of CD22 in all but the coldest weather. I have had no trouble with it, but some people have gotten a bad one here and there on the C-Brats site. But, most people recommend them. In my boat, when it is 15 degrees outside, and sleeping in the boat, it keeps the cabin around 65 degrees, which is warmer than I keep my house at night......During the day, if there is any sun at all (like there was that one time during the Homer King Derby) I keep it in the middle setting and I think it is very warm. I also think they are excellent for cooking with. They do have one negative side; they probably have world's record for slowest start up and shut down time. But, I just leave mine on as they hardly use any fuel at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast