Thread: Bunnies

Default Bunnies

The whole family packed up and went North Sat.. We walked about a dozen miles and came back with 15 Snowshoe hares and 1 squirrel..

Not a bad day considering we also missed a bunch, had some failed attempts, and some simply just vanished.. It was a blast with nice weather, lightly snowing..

Hoytguy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Cooking the Bunnies

I got two fo them yesterday also... how do you cook them? I have them soaking in milk and am planning to bread and fry them. Do you have any better ideas?

Layne - Check out the Alaska Pantry forum. There are some good ideas in there, but breading and frying should be great as well. I threw the backstraps from the last ones I got into some spicy stir-fry, and that was awesome.

Default Here is what I do

I have about 3-4 ways of cooking them.. Once cleaned I basically quarter them like a big animal.. rinse and put in a large stainless steel bowl, fill with water and put some salt in their.. (the water salt mixture) draws the blood out.. Saok in the fridge overnight. Next day I

1. I boil water, toss em in their with some (tony's seasoning) Boil, until done.. Kind of like chicken.. Then I debone and am left with a huge bowl of meat.. Now you can either buy chicken noodle soup and add the rabbit and cook, or make a soup from scratch (preffered) and add the rabbit instead of chicken.. Cook all day in a crock pot and it is awsome..

2. A cheaper alternative is get rammen, its cheap, has the mix for the brine, noodles, etc.. Make 3-4 packages, add rabbit and cook.. throw in some peas, celery, beans, carrots, potatoes.. however you like it..

3. once left with the deboned meat.. put in a crock pot.. add BBQ sauce, cook all day.. (Smells great).. Instead of Pulled pork, its pulled rabbit.. Eat it on sandwiches, or however.. The list and recipies are endless.. Instead of adding chicken.. you add rabbit..

4. Ever had Chicken pot pies? put rabbit in their.. and now you have a rabbit pot pie.. Kids love em, you cant ell the difference.. they take the longest to make and prepare, but are delicious.. usually a 1-2 times a year thing..

The biggest thing I find and will share with rabbits is, Most people wont eat em because they think of a fuzzy little bunny.. and are turned off to them before even tasting it.. Second would be blood shot meat.. Soak in h20 and salt for 12-24 hours.. the water will be red and the meat will be clean.. Third is their are hundreds of tiny bones.. If you are spitting bones out or bb's out with every bite.. it sucks to eat a rabbit.. If you clean it, (debone) and cook properly.. Its awsome and most will enjoy it..

Hoytguy

man my wife would kill me if i brought those in the house laid them out on the carpet for pics! it sends shivers through my body just thinking it!

Default Garage

its my garage floor, and also my taxidermy studio.. this floor has seen many dead critters.. Bunnies are small and easy to clean up. Try skinning a lifesize moose in the garage.. Thats a mess// or 9 bears in one evening.. Yuck

Smile Nice

Congrats on the bunnies hoytguy
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Default Recipe comment

Hoytguy,

On the fourth recipe listed wouldn't that be called "Hare Pie?"

Akbarehunter..

That would be correct, My bad..

Here is a simple one..

Sunday eve I quartered and boiled 5 hares for an hour.. Deboned, and put in a slow cook crock pot on LOW about 10pm sunday eve.. Added salt, pepper and a 79 cent jar of hickory smoke BBQ sauce, a touch or worshestershire sauce.. splash of Soy and 1 cup of water..and covered it.. Cooked it all night.. Turned it off in the AM.. got home from work last night, put on high to heat it up and WOW>. Made about 10 sandwiches.. Kids tore them up.. Little bread, Mayo, butter, and a slice of cheese and chunck of lettuce... You can add onion, pickles, tomatoes or what ever..Add the hare to the bread and Dang thats good.. Serve with a vegtable and its a heck of a meal