Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pow sucks!

Default Pow sucks!

Just got back from POW, nasty weather, thick jungle of a forest, and 1 buck in 4 days. I'll stick to Baranof. Hunted the southern end of POW.

sent you a PM
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

wow 1 deer in four days? that is pretty lousy. compaired to some places where folks are still trying to see any....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Where?

Like the S. POW Wilderness? Dall Island? Hollis?

Baranof has produced some tough hunting too my friend. I did four hunts in Oct and only on the last hunt did I finally drop the hammer on a doe. Of course I'm very hopeful that this week will produce some fun rut hunting.

You can't beat POW for good genetics and nice racks.

I've always had great luck on POW. Of course, I've headed as far from Klawock as I could get.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default the best there is ....

I talked a little Sitka Blacktail today and my bow hunter connected on a nice buck ....

We have been seeing Deer every day and plenty of bucks but you know how the bowhunt goes ... it ain't easy ... this last week we could have taken another B&C buck (our last hunter, gun, took a b&c buck) but just couldn't get the bow shot ... this is my current hunters second buck and he is thinking about tagging up for another one ...

Also called in a big Black Bear a few days ago .... but no Bear tag ... duh ...

Game on ....

I love this time of year.

We have taken four deer and one goat the last three days ,but luck has been on our side somewhat . I have had a young hunter from Wyoming that can really hike and is truelly a exceptional hunter. Shot a nice buck sixty yards though the trees with his bow couple days ago. Scored eighty five which is not big for POW but nice deer for Baranof. Seen ten deer the last two days but not jumping to the call around Sitka yet. Maybe in a week or so although I have heard a few people have called some up. Beutiful hunting day today wet and windy the last week.
    Jim Phillips

I don't care what anybody says POW is crap right now the rut is not on. I have hunted 4 days for one forky and a doe.

Default the rut

Actually the rut has been on since Oct 20 or so in some places I have hunted.

Seen plenty of hot Does especially in the in the last week. Doe urine with blood in it for the first time almost 2 weeks ago. Just after the first high mountain snows.

Most hunters hunt the Island for quality not quantity ....

But there are plenty of spikes and small forkies to take if you want ... like I mentioned above we have been seeing several a day ... for several weeks now.

We took this buck on November 23 ... thick neck ... came to the call ... tarsal glads smelling good ... on top of the mountain ... and not on the North end of the Island ...

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    I don't care what anybody says POW is crap right now the rut is not on. I have hunted 4 days for one forky and a doe.
    Hard to believe that. You may have had a less than stellar experience, but read the recent Coffman Cove thread. Seems like they're doing quite well - at least on that part of POW.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hard to believe that. You may have had a less than stellar experience, but read the recent Coffman Cove thread. Seems like they're doing quite well - at least on that part of POW.
    well we have all seen a rash of ... folks that have difficulty spotting game. there are two reasons people have sight seeing trips..

ONE; they chose the wrong spot and asked to get dropped off there...but then it is the pilots fault. or whom ever did the delivery... (yellow cab in some cases)

or

TWO; they don't know how to look......

for years i watched folks with tons of mulley and white tale experience and expect to do well on black tail... and fail miserably..

like the OP stated
    nasty weather, thick jungle of a forest,
    sorry but there is just not that many other places to practice for SE hunting. not to mention most are looking for large deer...

it sucks to spend the cash and fail... but it all comes down to amount of time spent trying to achieve your honest expectations.

the nice thing about hearing some guys yell how bad some place sucks....

it that we all know they will not be talked back into going for at least several more years.

kinda makes it nicer for the rest of us. eh? but... such is life of the traveling hunter... never enough time to learn your space and do it right
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    I don't care what anybody says POW is crap right now
    When you go through life as a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Part of the problem was the bad weather.I was their the 2nd thru the 6th a big low came in.

Could only hunt one road that lead to 500 ft and stoped , that was the only place I saw any deer sign.

Shot deer as he was sneeking off in the windy brush at 150 yrds. Just couldnt cover any country, to thick. No clearings or muskegs.

On Sitka 3 years ago shot 4 nice bucks in 4 days all bigger and fatter than this one. Forest wasnt as dense and mor muskegs.

As for seeing the game, I've been hunting in Alaska since knee high and guiding full time for 12 years, so I dont think that was the problem.

Just in a poor spot, with nasty weather to boot. Think I'll try kodiak next season. Would love to go back to Sitka but they had some hard winters lately.

This buck had thick bases but strange ugly forks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Tough Hunt

Sorry you had a tough hunt, that is a nice deer you got especially for the conditions. I have hunted the last three days pretty solidly and we have seen quite a few bucks. As Muskeg said if you want forkies and spikes, lots around. My new group of guys showed up Friday night - we have 5 bucks on the pole. Today 1 masher got away from the fellas but they were pumped to see a good one. Every truck of locals who came over tonight to look at our deer had at least 1 deer in their rig.

Nap - sorry man, like Muskeg said the rut is on all of our deer are thick necked and a bit on the stinky side we've killed. Keep working at it you have a few days left to get a few. As for killing does make sure you have subsistence rights, don't want you to have any issues.

Muskeg, we know yours wasn't on the north end, nice deer there. Heard rumors of an elk killed when I was at Red Bay today. We saw NO deer up there but got into a mess of them farther South. Yesterday we saw the Muskeg mobile on the road to Polk, we went down there to the ferry and hunted back in there for a while and whacked a couple. Nice country. I will post photos when it quits raining!

As for hunting Sitka and Kodiak, I have hunted Kodiak a few times and loved it. DIfferent hunting but a blast. As for Sitka, I would love to try that too.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default weather

Nice buck SkwentnaMan ....

But the weather on POW and in S SE in general is stormy and bad. We call October our "monsoon month" ... we get much more rain than even the Sitka area ... even Wrangell ... fall hurricane type storms are normal.

The last 3 early snowy years is not the norm. This year is more like a normal fall weather pattern. Many times we have over 20 / 30 inches of rain in Oct and early Nov.

Also POW has the Wolf factor which make our Deer more difficult to hunt than on the ABC Islands .... IMHO.

POW also has 2 different types of Blacktail ... the low land (swamp) Deer and the upland (mountain) Deer ... different types of habits ... on normal weather years the mountain deer stay high on the mountain ... they stay as high as they can in the deepest snow they can. Many times the ‘rut’ is over by the time the Jan / Feb snows drive then down. The 'southern end' as you called it is more mountainess than the central / northern end. Different Deer different habits.

The Does in different areas come into estrous at different times. There is no solid 'rut' time frame like some hunters want to put on it. Like I mentioned (in the above post) it can be anytime form late Oct to late Nov ....

It is not uncommon for non-area hunters to have a bad hunt on POW Island … especially back in the mid to late 80’s when all the magazine articles were falsely saying how easy it was to get your B&C Buck .. “just drive down the road and pick your B&C Buck out” … many, many very disappointed non-AK-resident hunters. Then the real word got out and we had almost no non-area hunters for many years. Seems like of late, there are many more non-area AK residents coming here to hunt. Many POW Island locals get their meat in Aug / Sept and don’t even hunt this time of year or just save one tag to hunt for a Jumbo. December is very lightly hunted by locals … the Bucks start dropping their antlers any time after the first week of Dec (except the younger Bucks).

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    Part of the problem was the bad weather.I was their the 2nd thru the 6th a big low came in.

Could only hunt one road that lead to 500 ft and stoped , that was the only place I saw any deer sign.

Shot deer as he was sneeking off in the windy brush at 150 yrds. Just couldnt cover any country, to thick. No clearings or muskegs.

On Sitka 3 years ago shot 4 nice bucks in 4 days all bigger and fatter than this one. Forest wasnt as dense and mor muskegs.

As for seeing the game, I've been hunting in Alaska since knee high and guiding full time for 12 years, so I dont think that was the problem.

Just in a poor spot, with nasty weather to boot. Think I'll try kodiak next season. Would love to go back to Sitka but they had some hard winters lately.

This buck had thick bases but strange ugly forks.
    I feel your pain. I deer hunted POW for 14 days several years ago and saw plenty of deer but 0 bucks. Went to Kodiak the next year and felt like I was caribou hunting in the Brooks. We saw multiple herds of deer with one of the herds being well over 100 head. The ratio of bucks to does was probably around 1:3

Just like any hunt anywhere, sometimes they are good and sometimes they are bad. I disagree with you on the statement that POW sucks. I hunted for 5 days and had a freaking blast. In fact I can't hardly wait to make a return trip. We had nothing but rain, wind, and fog as well, but we made the best of it and killed many deer and one buck that scored 94 3/8.

Sorry your trip was such a bummer, but I would not give up on that Island. No wait, your right... The hunting sucks, there are no Deer on POW island. Everyone should hunt Kodiak or somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    Just like any hunt anywhere, sometimes they are good and sometimes they are bad. I disagree with you on the statement that POW sucks. I hunted for 5 days and had a freaking blast. In fact I can't hardly wait to make a return trip. We had nothing but rain, wind, and fog as well, but we made the best of it and killed many deer and one buck that scored 94 3/8.

Sorry your trip was such a bummer, but I would not give up on that Island. No wait, your right... The hunting sucks, there are no Deer on POW island. Everyone should hunt Kodiak or somewhere else.
    I've been telling everyone that for a couple of years. but they keep coming anyway.

Just got a call from my son in Coffman. He got a large 3x3 this afternoon and his buddy got a 3x4 this morning.

He said I could have it mounted for him for his Christmas present.

He won't be back till next Monday. I'll post picts once he gets back.

You just want to keep it to yourself and spread rumors King,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast