Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from another mnt. goat pack!!!

Default Back from another mnt. goat pack!!!

Just got back this evening from Kodiak. Went down Wednesday night late. Weather was terrible and ended up driving around all day with BRWNBR seeing all the sights and sounds that is the Kodiak road system.

We planned the hunt a while back as I was looking for any excuse to get to run up the mountains and learn from someone that actually knew how to hunt these things rather then just hope we see some and BRWNBR was looking to get a chance to do a personal hunt of his own as he was long overdue.

Friday morning was high overcast/semi-clear weather and zero wind....PERFECT for archery hunting. We beat feet to the campsite and spotted 3 billies and half a dozen nannies 1000 ft above the tent site skylined. We quick threw up the tent and made a plan for BRWNBR to walk a 1/2 mile up the valley and to the top of the skyline in front of where we thought the goats might head if they get 'bumped' by me. So I finished throwing up the tent and then started for where we last saw the billies go over the top of the ridgeline once BRWNBR was 3/4 of the way to the top of the ridgeline. Once I got the signal I worked my way up to the top and was soon 50 yrds from two 8" or so billies. Snapped a pic or two then backed off about 80-100 yrds further to make my presence known as I didn't want to scare them too bad being so close and have them zip by BRWNBR too fast without getting a shot off.

Here is a pic of one of the two billies I bumped about 5 minutes later:

Once I got the goats attention they slowly scamped BRWNBR's direction. I couldn't see exactly how far down the ridgeline he had setup so I was almost certain the the main group (all the nannies and the one nice billy) had already passed. About 300 yrds away from me the nice billy suddenly broke away from the rest of the nannies trail and angled up towards BRWNBR, though I didn't realize that is exactly where he had setup.

Thinking all but the two billies had gone passed him I turned my focus to the two smaller billies I had originally bumped toward him. Glancing back and forth between the small billies and the nanny nice biliy group I soon lost all sight of the nice billy. After about 30 seconds of glassing I found the goat laying down in the snow with a "stick" hanging out of it. "Oh wait that must be an arrow" I thought and soon saw BRWNBR sliding down the snow with pack on and bow in hand at a rapid speed kicking up quite the rooster tail of snow. The first shot turns out to have been about 45-50 yrds and was right where it needed to be. After another shot at 45 yards and one more at 10 yrds the goat was down.

Getting down to where he chose to die was a little sketchy...well for me, Mr. Mountain Goat himself seemed quite at home. The goat was a great goat by almost anyone's standard and when you consider the fact that its a archery kill makes that much better. Just shy of 9.5" and over 5.5" bases and roughly 6 years old. Learned enough on how to skin for a life size mount to begin practicing atleast and once the knife work was done it was 700 feet up and 1000 feet back down to camp.

Next morning we left with heavy packs back down towards civilization. A great archery road system hunt and a lot of fun was had. Glad the hunt was able to happen as I learned quite a bit and happy to be able to help in the hunt.

Here is BRWNBR with his goat, I'm sure he'd attribute at least some of his success on this hunt to his custom shaprie inscribed goat horns he drew on his white hat prior to hiking up to the campsite. Gotta love the long hair on a big November billy:

Wow what an animal! First day of actual hunting, right? Looks big bodied. Larger than the one you got earlier? You said you might take vid on the trip....did you get any?

Nicely done, guys! Thanks for sharing.

Body and meat weight wise it was a virtual twin of the goat I got. However the extra month of hair growth really shows it was a beautiful hide for sure.

Got some brief video clips of the small billies prior to bumping them BRWNBR's direction as well as him about 60 yrds away getting ready to put a 2nd arrow in the goat, but thought it was best to watch where the goat went as I had a perfect vantage point to see where it went even though he couldn't. It was fun to see him at one point coming around a corner at less than 3 yrds from the goat no knowing it until it was too late. Would have been great video, but I am not good enough to film and follow the goat from a 1/3 of a mile away so I just watch threw the binos as the whole thing unfolded just like we planned, which rarely happens. I guess Murphy was taking the day off with amazing weather and a planned that worked to the T.

Very well done, very well done! That is a nice goat and a perfect setup. It sounds like you guys did your homework, took your time, and set the perfect ambush. Contrats!

My FIL is out there now chasing deer around and on his last sat phone check in he was saying that they had some rough weather. Glad to see you guys had some more success. What a way to cap off an epic big game season! MAn I can't wait to start it all again next year! In the mean time the bunnies are white and the ground is brown!!

Default fantastic!

i put in for south road system next year, muzzle loader would be my preference.
    good job jake!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default great story

That is great story and thanks for sharing with the pics. Was that the north or south road permit on kodiak.

Default Three Successful Goat Hunts In One Season!!!

Thanks for another chance to vicariously experience a hunt through a great story with pictures. Sounds like the stalk/ambush went like clockwork!!!

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Awesome hunt!

Great story, even more awesome meat and trophy and some of the best times! Well I'm glad you guys had a great time and even better success. Wish I could have gotten to me up with you guys. Anyways, maybe next time you are in town Luke, you have my number. Again great job on a well deserved and much needed hunt.

Rob

Thumbs up

Wow, awesome goat for a quick hunt like that. Congrats to Jake, nice to see him drop the hammer (or let the arrow fly) after seeing all his clients showing off the big critters he got them on.

Karma gave you fellas the "thumbs up".

Its good when that happens.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Congrats boys!!! thanks for the write-up and pics lanche! the MR 6500 go along for this trip? still loving it?

Default Congrats from Afghanistan!

Awesome Billy and a great trophy with a bow for sure. You guys sure know how to keep a guy motivated! About five months left over here and I'm headed back home for good! I hope to connect with some critters next season. Browningguy9 and I are going to give em hell!

Default Excellent goat

That is a dandy billy, and with a bow is extrodinary. Congrats to Jake and I'm sure he was grateful for the help.

Default Nice!

Hey!
    That's a great Billy. You just have to love Kodiak. U may have to wait the weather out, but once you can get out it is on! We had basically the same luck. 3 Days of weather, 1 Day of hunting, 2 goats down. Of course we were shooting rifles, so not quite the feat of sticking one with a bow.
    Great Job!
    Greaty story.
    Louis

BRWNBR will need a new signature line......."Does this bow make my butt look big?"

Great hunt guys. Dandy goat too.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 11-08-2009 at 06:40. Reason: added line

Thumbs up

Great job getting a goat with bow and arrow Jake, its good to see you out there getting some hunting in of your own. Thanks for taking the pics and typing up the story Luke!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Alaska_Lanche.....

i will have to ask you the same question my dad asked me this fall after describing my hunting adventures and current plans of travle....

"WHEN DO YOU HAVE TIME TO WORK?"

good Job guys.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Excellence

What a fine show of hunting prowess! That sounds like a well executed and planned high country scramble.

I've got a date with a pair of big billies next year. I'm not into that short day and snow stuff so I'm gonna live with the short hair and lighter load goat hunting.

Now that you got that out of your system now maybe you guys can get to work like the rest of us!

To you both....excellent show this season and thanks for taking the time to share with us all.

That full mount will make great advertising for you at the sportsman shows Jake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast