Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simms waders. Worth the dough?

Default Simms waders. Worth the dough?

At 6'6" 310 lbs I have got used to wearing hunting waders with rubber lug style boots. Me and Mrs. Danattherock thought we would get each other a pair of Simms waders for Christmas. With the G3 model I am looking at in the custom 3XL size and additional charge for the size 15 booties, the price is really adding up. Wanted to ask some of you guys using Simms waders if you thought they were worth the dough. I would realistically spend 15-20 days a year in the waders so hoping they will last a while. Curious what kind of mileage (in years) you guys are getting out of a pair. The life expectancy will help determine if we buy them to be honest. Having never had any really high end waders, I am wondering about this. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I love mine. My only regret is not getting them sooner. The G3 Convertibles are like wearing pants. They take about 30 seconds to convert to a pair of regular waders.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I got 5 hard years out of my G3's before I got a slight leak. I wear mine about 60 days a year and I am hard on them. Simms is worth what you pay. I wear the G4 Pro's now and like them more than the G3 because of the more 5 layer material, plus the seams moved to the front of the legs is way better, my G3's are pre front leg seams.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

My wife and I have been using Simms waders (and other products) for years flyfishing (wading and boating) the numerous rivers here in Montana. We've also used them on our Alaska trips. They last and are very functional. I had one pair delaminate at the knee and Simms warranteed them (I think they are warranteed for life). Because they are made right here in Bozeman, Montana I took them in to the factory...got a free replacement and got a little tour at the same time. They seem a professional outfit that warranties their product and will also make repairs to their product that result from non-manufacturer defects/workmanship (I got to see their repair shop as well) such as barbed-wire tears (a common injury).
    Simms is known locally as a good employer to work for... I am glad they make them here and not in China!

Fishing between 90 and 120 days a year I usually get about four years per pair. I also wear mine while making the sixteen mile ATV trip to Saltry Cove! Yes you will get an occasional leak but they are easily found and repaired. I used a pair of less expensive waders and nearly trashed them in a week so for me it will always be simms.
    Spend the money, be comfortable and you will be extremely satisfied in the end.

I basically live in my simms from mid may through early October, and other than the foul oder coming from one pair I can't complain one bit. I have both the G3's and the G4's.The G3's are going on their fifth season and starting to leak a little in the butt ( probably from sitting in the rowers seat all day). The G4's on the other hand hardly have a scratch on them and they are going on their fourth season. I especially like how easy it is to get into and out of my G4's with the zipper. While it may be hard to justify the cost of the G4's. I would be willing to bet that they would last you a great long time. The only issue I have with the G4's is that they don't breath very well, and on a warm day they get a little sweaty.

In one word -- YES!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey dan .. found this sale site.. not sre what the reg price is... BUT>...

http://www.redtruckflyfishing.com/Bo...ersonSale.html
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the link Vince. When I was 12 I could have fit into those

I do appreciate the link however. I will give you some points for trying. Lord knows you need them

I will be ordering custom 3XL with optional size 15 booties. Another reason I need to know what I am doing ahead of time. They can't be returned.

Sure appreciate the input today fellas. Sounds like lots of loyal Simms customers out there. Nice to hear.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Thanks for the link Vince. When I was 12 I could have fit into those

I do appreciate the link however. I will give you some points for trying. Lord knows you need them

I will be ordering custom 3XL with optional size 15 booties. Another reason I need to know what I am doing ahead of time. They can't be returned.

Sure appreciate the input today fellas. Sounds like lots of loyal Simms customers out there. Nice to hear.
    Hey why don't you buy large..... and only get half way in the water
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

There is one in every crowd

I got 5 years out of my first pair of simms, then went through several pair of orvis that never made it a full season, then a pair of cloudveils that did the same... back to the simms again and working on year 3 next summer...

Dan I love mine but thought I would say that I was surprised how they fit. I am not as tall as you but ever bit as big around the middle. I fit great in a XL King and they come up high on me If I would have ordered them without trying them on I would have guessed on a 2xl. Its nice if they fit good but also don't want them to big. I don't know what the king part is but you might want to look into it. I have been wanting to get a simms wade jacket and the cost does keep stopping me but I know that one day I will have me one of those jackets to go with the best waders. Dan you seem to be the kind of guy that likes the best and think that you both will love the simms waders. Andrew

Thanks for the input Andrew, I do appreciate it.

Looking forward to Sept and fishstock, palooza, what the hell ever, ....

Dan a 2XLK may fit you just fine, but will still have to special order the boot size. I would suggest trying a pair on before you order just to be sure.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

No doubt man. Trouble will be finding 3XL Simms to try on. 58" chest and 37" inseam put me in the 3XL size. The chic that is emailing me from Simms suggest that many retailers will order a size and let you try them on. I feel kind of cheap doing this since I can't buy the waders I would be trying on anyway. I will be custom ordering. Perhaps I can be up front with a fly shop and they will get me a pair to try on if I also order the custom pair from them. That may motivate them to get me some waders to try on. At any rate, great advice on trying on first. The no return policy is a bit scary for sure at this price.

Default Maybe one day

I would love to own a pair of Simms one day to see how well they perform. You get what you pay for and I think that they are probably well worth it. Until the next PFD though I'll keep hanging onto my Hodgemans...they have lasted me several years and cost a fraction of what the Simms does. I do believe that I will snatch up some Simms boots this year though. Anyone have any thoughts on their boots with the Vibram soles? I swear by the Vibram on ALL of my shoes so why not the wading boots?

Default Plus one for the simms for the top end options

If you are going to go for the top end stuff, Simms is the way to go, I've personally and by proxy experienced disappointing failures of Cloudveil, patagonia, Orvis and top end Cabelas waders, but Simms are on average better, and they are good about their warranty. Yes they are expensive, but try to find a deal (may be a tough one for our gigantor poster, but for all the rest that are curious). Also, go with the top end models, the ones in the middle aren't really any better than midrange, yet cheaper models of cabelas waders etc.

Definitely a fan of the new style with the leg seams in the front, those were the chink in the armor of the older styles of G3's.

Other than that, you can plan on buying a 120 dollar pair every year and having fresh waders each spring, or you can get some Simms and expect 2 to 3 solid years before patching them into their 4th to 5th years, and then replacing. The economics are quite the same, just the route you take is different.

Thanks for the input Scottsum, I was hoping you would chime in

Default Best **** money I ever spent

You can't go wrong with a pair of simms in my opinion.....I wouldn't reccomend anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast