Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interested in a good recurve

Default Interested in a good recurve

Been shooting the compounds for awhile, but interested in shooting a little traditional on the side-looked like fun at the last Cook inlet shoot. Who makes a good quality recurve that a fellow could get and not feel like he needs to replace it after shooting for a bit. Not real familiar with the traditional companies and looking for a point out. Thanks.

Default Recurve

I am also interested in shooting a recurve. Sorry! but I don't know **** about them.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    Been shooting the compounds for awhile, but interested in shooting a little traditional on the side-looked like fun at the last Cook inlet shoot. Who makes a good quality recurve that a fellow could get and not feel like he needs to replace it after shooting for a bit. Not real familiar with the traditional companies and looking for a point out. Thanks.

I have a great longbow for sale if you're interested....

but for recuves there are literally tons of them, checkmate, martin, bear, and a host of other uses bows are around. I dont care for the massed produced...like the pse or pse look alikes like samicks. Their low end bows just stink imho!

Look at the thread about the traditional shooters get together. If you go to that I am sure that you could get some hands on experience and meet some good people who will be willing to help.

OK I'm going to let you guys in on a not so well kept secret........vintage bows! They shoot better, have decades of life left in them, are flat out beautiful, many have a direct link to personal history and best of all they are easy to get at a fraction of the price of new.

They shoot better because many of the woods are no longer available or are available in far less desirable quality. Also the level of workmanship and attention to detail is better. For some reason more "modern bows" have also moved away from time proven designs that produce faster limbs. For example a mid 70's browning explorer, those thin deeply curved limbs don't just look sexy they make for a screaming fast bow!

Fiber glass bows are incredibly durable one of my wife's favorites is a 1955 Kodiak special that's still one of the fastest lightweight bows in our house. The bows I hunt most often are at least 40 years old.

Beauty well check out a 1967 bear archery polar....enough said! Seriously I have a 1969 Kodiak hunter that a piece of wood the size and quality of the riser alone is worth more than I paid for it.

My wife and I built our collection around our birth years 1967 and 1975. 1967 was a big year for Bear archery so many of my bows are bears. Several bows got there introduction and others were lost from the line up in 1967.

OK best part you can find them at garage sales, paid 60 bucks for one of the most "valuable" of my bows. Craig's list is a great source, my nephew fell in love with my 1965 Pearson "Colt" he found a duplicate of it at home for less than the cost of shipping my bow to him. E-Bay is a great source but be warned it is also the haunt of bow junkies like me, guys who simply can not be trusted around a 1967 super Kodiak, if you have the red one and value your life keep it to yourself!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I'd be happy to bring several bows if folks would like to try a vintage bow.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Stratofisher, go to www.archerytalk.com. There is a section on used traditional equipment for sale. Looks like some quality bows at affordable prices. It's a good idea to start out with a used bow until you decide exactly what you want in a custom ($$$) bow made to your specs.
    I loved shooting traditional, until an on-the-job shoulder injury (Forest Fire Service) stopped me cold. After alot of physical therapy, I found that I could draw a 50 lb. compound, thankfully. I just couldn't warm up to the idea of using a crossbow.

Jeff

Default Try some out if possible!!

I would have to say you need to try and shoot a few before deciding if you can manage that. I went through several bows before finding the one I like and shoot the best. Of course now Im saving for that Black Widow, which if you can afford($1000) is the most awesome bow Ive ever shot. It just boils down to what feels best for you and getting used to practicing a lot!!!

Ga, you should get your hands on one of the older asbell bighorn recurves. Though not as purdy as a widow (gasp did i just say that LOL), they shoot and feel VERY simliar at a FRACTION of the cost! Another would be a checkmate hunter I or II. They'd if nothing else be good back up bows.

I have a pile of longbows I can bring down too if I can make it (not likely till Jan or sometime after that). I've retarded my old bob lee takedown rec (another great bow btw!). Thats if I dont end up selling them all first lol.

I just bought a bow on eBay that is almost identical to the first bow I had when I as a kid. I got a 43# 1969 Bear Tigercat that's in great shape. I just made a string for it yesterday and can't wait to shoot it. All my carbon arrows are way over-spined for this bow. I need to pick up some arrows just to get shooting. I plan on taking some time to really make some good looking wood arrows. There never seems to be enough time...

Take a look at these sites.
    Trad Gang.com
    Stickbow.com
    Lots of infr fro all to find.
    They have classified adds also.
    Bill

Default Hello

I have been shooting recurves and longbows for about 13yrs. Never have owned a compound.

As for buying a recurve it is really a personal preference. I would STRONGLY suggest that you get your hands on as many as you can and shoot them first. There is a HUGE difference in all the bows that are out there.

I would not buy a cheap bow. I prefer a high quality newer style recurve. If you are going to go the custom route it can get very expensive very fast. Your best bet is to buy a used one off of one of the sites mentioned. A good bow can last a lifetime.

Also be carefull not to buy a bow that is too heavy for you. The biggest fault of some beginning with traditional gear is trying to shoot a bow that is too heavy for them. This leads to bad form and not very consistant accuracy. Shooting a trad bow takes a considerable amount of practice and dedication.

Read all you can about tuning the bow and the arrows. There isn't a lot to the setup itself but it does need to be tuned properly to give you the best performance it can.

Anyway hope this helps
    Jason

Default I have a few I will part with---

I just recently got an original Schafer Silvertip with 3 sets of limbs,

So planning on thinning a few out, just haven't gotten around to listing on tradgang or fleaB yet. If any interest in seeing them or shooting, drop me a PM.

Blacktail Elite in cocobolo and bacote with bacote veneers.
    Robertson Vision Falcon with Cocobolo Riser and Juniper veneers.
    Wapiti Cocobolo and Bacote riser and bacote veneers.

All three are TD's and in the mid-50's to 60 at 29".

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Stratofisher, I know ths isn't the for sale forum but I just decided to part with my recurve.
    It's a beautiful Fedora take-down, Model 561 TD Hunter in excellent shape. Weight is 61# @ 28", length is 54".
    This is the only recurve I've ever had that I shot consistently accurately, but alas, I'm just a longbow guy. I can't help my self, I'm going back to my Pronghorn. I shoot this thing better than my longbow, but all hunting season carrying it just felt wrong
    The Fedoras are great bows & fairly sought after. It will include a strap on Thunderhorn 2 tone leather quiver (full size model) in vg condition(like all used quivers it could always use new hood foam, but the foam in it is working fine. String could use new serving, but again is working fine.
    $450.00 +shipping. If you happen to have a handgun in 480 Ruger I'd be interested in using the bow as trading stock
    my email is vwonser@alaska.net
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I might be intorested in that fedora! If stratofisher wants to pass.
    BHA Member

Rick, if I don't hear from him you are next on the list. I'll give him till tomorrow evening.
    I don't think you'll be dissapointed in the bow.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I might be intorested in that fedora! If stratofisher wants to pass.
    Hey Rick.
    Haven't heard from Stratofisher so it looks like the Fedora will be going on the market. If you are interested let me know.
    If anyone else is interested they can be in line behind Rick.
    Vance in AK.

Thanks to all the inputs. I just procurred a black widow takedown PSA V used. Will give it my best shot at learning the game. Should be fun.

Holly Wha........jump high or don't jump at all, nice bow! You choose well grasshopper!

How about some stats and a pic?
    BHA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast