Thread: Mt. Baldy Bullet Company

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Mt. Baldy Bullet Company

As I do all of my own bullet casting, I generally do not have need of a commercial bullet caster. Having said that, I happened to be in Cody Wyoming last week on business and ran into Dawn Ehrenford, whom as it turns out, is married to Frank Ehrenford. The two of them own and operate Mt. Baldy Bullet Company and were gracious enough to invite myself and my colleague (truth be told, we invited ourselves) to tour their facility and talk cast bullets for an hour or two. Always eager to learn more about anything that has anything to do with guns, we were super stoked to have the opportunity to chat with these folks! My colleague and I both found the Ehrenford’s to be very down to earth, honest and honorable gun folk! Their shop was nothing at all like I had expected, but was impressive in the extreme, as 90% or more of their bullets are cast by hand on a custom order basis. You tell them what you want, what size, weight etc. and they make it…. Simple as that. Frank does the majority of the casting, and Dawn handles the orders, shipping and bullet lube/sizing. A truly first rate operation that turns out a quality product at a reasonable price, and with superb customer service! The best part is that they cast them at a hardness that is suitable for hunting, and that does not lead your bore, What more could you want?!

After talking guns and cast bullets for some time with the Ehrenford’s and a couple of their employee’s I asked Dawn it there would be any way that I could kind of browse around and take a few “samples”…… yup, no problem, help yourself was the answer. Well I ended up with 20 some odd different bullets in a wide range of calibers and weights to add to my bullet collection (see attached photo, and the one on the upper left is about the size of my thumb!!!), and what do suppose Dawn had to say when I asked how much I owed her for the bullets? “ha! Don’t worry about it, just enjoy them!” My kind of folks, then Ehrenford’s!

Dawn told me that they do a fair amount of business here in AK, and I imagine that I will add to that by placing an order for some 303 Brit bullets shortly (so I can see how they shoot before I buy my own mould!)

Their web site is www.mtbaldybullets.com and the phone number is 307-754-5255 should you chose to give them a try. I am confident that you will not be disappointed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mt Baldy.jpg  
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Nice post, good to know they are such nice folks. I have been using Mt. Baldy Bullets for about 5-6 years now and really like their .430" 250 Keith bullet. Works great in my 624s, Model 29s and Annaconda. I think it is the best true Keith bullet being commercially cast today.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Distinguished Rifleman #1558
    President's Hundred

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Alangaq:

It looks like they don't do 7mm, (.284) bullets.

That ain't good at all.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.

You can't out-give God.

in my parts I believe I am the only reloader and too have used them in a few revolvers and leverguns......good shooting bullets.

Bulelts shoot great, 270 Grain SAA 45 cal are great bullets!

Nice folks. Good customer service.
    They sent me a wrong box of bullets. Upon notification, they sent me the box of bullets I had ordered and told me to kep the other box no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Alangaq:

It looks like they don't do 7mm, (.284) bullets.

That ain't good at all.

Smitty of the North
    Their 250 Keith more than makes up for that perceived problem.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    President's Hundred

Default HUhh

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Their 250 Keith more than makes up for that perceived problem.
    I didn't know you could shoot a 250 grain Keith out of a 7x57 ; learn something everyday !! LoL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I didn't know you could shoot a 250 grain Keith out of a 7x57 ; learn something everyday !! LoL
    They swage down real nice.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    President's Hundred

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    They swage down real nice.
    I'm from Missouri "SHOW ME".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

I have to bet that some fool has tried it. I've seen everything else, down to a guy who used one of the little Lee Loader kits and scoop measure to load 06, but decided it was okay to use the same powder he'd used with his 38 special Lee kit. It was Bullseye! And the gun didn't lock up till the third shot! Then he went on to load Bullseye in his 12 gauge loads.

We learned about it because he showed up in the shop I worked in then and wanted his money back. On the Lee loaders. On the Bullseye. On the Model 70 30-06 with the badly ringed barrel. And on the Remington 870 with the whole side blown out of the barrel and action. Got as far as the lawyers before someone convinced him that showing up in court with the directions for the Lee Loaders still in their boxes had probably cooked his case.

Default YEP

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I have to bet that some fool has tried it. I've seen everything else, down to a guy who used one of the little Lee Loader kits and scoop measure to load 06, but decided it was okay to use the same powder he'd used with his 38 special Lee kit. It was Bullseye! And the gun didn't lock up till the third shot! Then he went on to load Bullseye in his 12 gauge loads.

We learned about it because he showed up in the shop I worked in then and wanted his money back. On the Lee loaders. On the Bullseye. On the Model 70 30-06 with the badly ringed barrel. And on the Remington 870 with the whole side blown out of the barrel and action. Got as far as the lawyers before someone convinced him that showing up in court with the directions for the Lee Loaders still in their boxes had probably cooked his case.
    After 35 years in the gun buisness, I've seen the gaumet of crazy things done to and with guns. Had a lady came into the shop one day and wanted her money back because her new Hi-Power wouldn't shoot and was locked up. I pulled the slide back and the round was in the chamber with the pointy end faceing the hammer. The mag was full of ammo loaded in the same direction. In ten minutes I was fireing the pistol in the test drum to prove it worked; She left shakeing her head.

Here's an article that caught my eye on the same subject ;

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin...242partial.pdf