Thread: Places to hunt waterfowl!!

Question Places to hunt waterfowl!!

Greetings everyone! I just recently moved to Anchorage and am at a loss of a good place to hunt ducks/geese here in Alaska.

Now, before you say, "hey, why should I tell this guy about my good spots?", hear me out! I've been a duck hunter for 12 years and follow the letter of the law when it comes to regualtions. I'm also respectful of the environment and others hunters around me.

So, no that I'm in the Pacific Flyway, where are some good spots to duck hunt within driving distance of Anchorage?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(Willing to tell you some good spots in Colorado!)

This question has been asked and answered dozens of times on here. Spend a few seconds with the search function and you will have more than enough information.

Too bad all the easy to get to water is now hard.

Drive north or south of Anchorage and find a marshy area with open water. Then get out and scout, scout, scout.

Unfortunately just about all the marshes are frozen and 95% of the birds are gone.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default well..

It depends on your definition of "driveable distance"...

Well he did wrte "within driving distance of Anchorage", which means Arkansas here we come!

Of course we will have to stop along the way and sample the Peace River, Prairie Pothole Region, Pool 9, Cheyene bottoms and then off to the White River and the rice. We can even drive to Old Mexico.

I guess it really depends on how tired ones azzz gets when defining "driving distance"

Locally you can drive the Marine Highway over to Cordova and hunt the CRR. Who is up for a road trip?

Default I hear Potters Marsh...

in South Anchorage is full of birds...as are many local ponds & softball fields of Anchorage...

Potter Marsh looked frozen last week and there were no birds when I was going to the Kenai plus I'm pretty sure hunting is illegal on the marsh
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Although there are a few patches of near frozen/open water, I've already ice skated a couple of times on Potter Marsh if that gives you any idea of what the conditions are like.

Anybody can hunt there once. It just depends on how much they want their day of hunting to cost. haha

You could go by DF&G, show proof of Hunter Ed., and get a pass to the Anchorage Coastal Refuge. This is a good time to scout the area. Now that it is mostly frozen the walking will be waaaaaay easier than it normally is. Who knows, there might be a bird or two along the tide line.

I went on a ride on my wheeler up by Jims Creek today on my wheeler in the hopes there might be some open water and some quackers chillin getting ready for the haul south. The river fog on the river was so bad I couldn't see 30 yards. Didn't find any ducks maybe gonna have to check it out when the temp rises a little but the water is gonna be froze by then. Good ride on the new quad though. Just bought a Grizz 700 and stretchin it's legs a little
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"