Thread: Beginner bow

Default Beginner bow

Hey all, Im new to bow shooting and wanted to shoot traditional styled bow, I have shot a few longbows and a few recurves and enjoy them throughly, my main question is if I bought a recurve and shot it as much as possible and became a great shot, would it be worth hunting with? the bow will probably be a Bear archery Grizzly RH model with #50 or #55 pull weight

Recurves and long bows make very effective hunting weapons you just have to have the dedication to go through with the practice needed to become an effective archer. Also hunting small game and ducks with a bow can be very rewording, I know of a few compound guys taking rabbits and such, but all the wing shooters I know of are hunting trad.

Don't forget that shooting accurately is only one part of bow hunting, it's also important to have good stalking skills, a working knowledge of animal behavior and habitat, and respect for the history and traditions of bow hunting. Spend as much time in the woods watching animals as you can. Read about the history of the bow in general and some of it's more famous hunters like Fred Bear, Howard Hill, Ron LaClair and many others. Join a archery club if there is one in your area and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Good luck and have fun!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default talk to fred bear

buy a few books that fred wrote or people wrote about him and you will see what a trad bow and arrow can do, my longbow took out a snowshoe a few hours ago, good times

Absolutely worth hunting with. Patience, practice, persistence and you'll be ready.
    There are some great DVD's out there as well as books. The Masters of the Barebow series are good as are the ones by Rick Welch. Check out Tradgang.com, lots of friendly folks and good advice to be had.

You'll only get out what you put in. The more you commit yourself the better you will become. Your bow will kill anything standing but only if you match your arrows, learn proper form, limit yourself to achievable goals, and always have the burning desire to improve. It's the burning desire that will determine your success. Good luck.