Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Decorum

Arrow Forum Decorum

Everyone has their own code of ethics that they adhere to, whether they've ever itemized or even thought about them or not. Here are some of mine that I try to adhere to:

1. Try to make each post either informative, purposeful, or funny (including smart aleck, which can get dicey so watch out).
    2. Though it can be difficult both to identify and to do, try to avoid responding to the sock puppets (those that obviously have a few different accounts here), and don't out them either unless they get real bad.
    3. Don't "out" anyone by name. Responding to their post use their member-name, not their given name that you learned via PM or some other way. If they wanted their forum member-name to be their given name they'd have made it that way. Also it confuses other readers to respond to BBQ-Man's post by saying "Hi Tony"... and besides it only sounds like schoolyard oneupmanship anyway.
    4. Don't "out" anyone in person. Like demanding a member go anywhere in person.
    5. Don't "out" anyone's privacy or anonymity in any way.
    6. Never use the word "WE" in your post, unless you also specifically itemize exactly who all you're speaking for. Otherwise it smacks of schoolyard bullying.
    7. Never respond to another member with the idea that they're NEW here (and thus pointing out that you're not). Respond to the content of their post, or not, but playing the new guy card is a cheap shot.
    8. Never post a picture of another member without their specific permission (except a picture they've already published themselves), except in a group picture where all the people in the picture are not specifically identified. Reference "outing"...
    9. Never photoshop up changes to others' pictures and then post that.
    10. Everyone sees specific members that follow other's around and post a negative comment (that isn't funny and has no informational value) every single time that person posts; that's really unattractive, though I won't use the "stalking" word; 99.99999% of Internet users don't understand what stalking really is and overuse that word.
    11. Don't ever tell anyone that they SHOULD go buy something, not buy something, vote a certain way, or be in favor of a certain thing; instead post why YOU are doing a certain thing or thinking a certain way. i.e., don't be all pushy/intrusive.
    12. Give rep. often and a lot, based solely on what is said in that one post; not at all based on what you might think of that member's other posts or of that member personally; this encourages good behavior from those that struggle most with having good behavior.
    13. Give rep even more quickly in response to a member that has taken an effort, like posting their own food recipe, or even a process recipe, like how to make sepia pictures in photoshop, or change their profile/sigfile/avatar. Rep other's posted pictures easily and often.
    14. Avoid labels like left, right, lib, and the like; there's no good to be done with doing so.
    15. Avoid posting because you want to post, rather than because you have something about it to be said that hasn't been said.
    16. Read more than you post. Compare your count of your List of Subscriptions with the number that shows your total post count; if the second number is 2+ times the first, you're posting way too much.
    17. Post quality information. Compare your total post count to your rep count; if the first number is 4+ times the second then you're posting way too much.
    18. Proofread your post by using the preview button; and do it again, and again, until you have read your previewed post and have no changes to make; then post it. Spell as well as you're able to, except when intentionally using expressions or for a specific reason.
    19. Don't copy/paste entire articles from other sites, even if you do provide attribution; its cheap. OK to post an excerpt and a link to the whole/original version though.
    20. Virtually never post anything as long as this list you're reading now, because not one person in a hundred will actually read down this far, so all that info you just wanted to share just became nothing more than a fart in the wind because you were too long winded.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i think Manners is a much shorter list.. and if THEY dont like it...

WE can tell THEM to go piss up a rope that SOMEONE else is holding...

people are who and what they are steve... just like the ones you meet on the beach... some will lead some will follow and some dont give acrap.

some are here to learn some are here to argue, some are here for the enjoyment of being here. some are here to take advantage, your not changing any minds or straighting them out... anonymity makes it possible to give you a head ache.

Why peel a tree just to bark at it again?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    people are who and what they are steve...
    Reference my #3. (Man, that list is useful already! )

your not changing any minds or straighting them out... anonymity makes it possible to give you a head ache.
    I never said any of this mattered. Reference my #20 (yeah, by skipping over all those that you didn't read. )

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

I never said any of this mattered. Reference my #20 (yeah, by skipping over all those that you didn't read. )
    oh i dont know...

now your multi posting like the libs do when they are following me around

by the way... i htink you should buy a new plow for your wheeler this year...

you'll need one that removes easier...

and since i am OUTING...

never assume i didn't read
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up Now there's the Vince so well known and loved!

Thanks Vince; I was starting to worry. Everything is fine now.

At least I htink so. (Reference #18)

P.S. Yeah, I go on one more ATV ride that you suggest and I'll surely be buying a new plow; it was close this last time...

oh i dont know...

now your multi posting like the libs do when they are following me around

by the way... i htink you should buy a new plow for your wheeler this year...

you'll need one that removes easier...

and since i am OUTING...

never assume i didn't read

P.S. Yeah, I go on one more ATV ride that you suggest and I'll surely be buying a new plow; it was close this last time...

oh i know i love my micorsoft tough pad...

adn if i cared more i owuld put more thought into the thinking aobut checking or i would hinkup a way around it....but image is what others see...

meet on face book here

sides? whats with the conformity issues?

post? reps? you do this to much you, do that too much?

some got to get used to the system.. there are 1000's that read and never post and personally i am getting tired of the rep envy that keeps popping up. i have a pm box full of questions that deserve answers because to many people are afraid to post because so many regulars jump down the throat of a poster for stupid crap like

SPELLING... hello READ PAST IT.

verbage..... hello READ past it.

puctuation... WHO gives a crap anyway?

there is way to much my way is better then your way so you should do it my way already.... ( see 1-20 )

people are who they are, each with a background of education, experience and knowledge. different from ours.

the reason i am such success as a manager, job Foreman, lead operator... etc etc...is i understand every one is different, thinks different, moves different and has a critical path different then any other person...

as long as the task is completed to specification who cares HOW it happened? or what order. safely and neatly is all i request.. i will show you how i do it.. and you will do it your way that you are comfy with

most people can not do things the way i do.. for that one reason i have a very different approach and path... not gonna please all or even try. but by being understanding and respectful for the most part.. i can deal with most people at a level they can except...

but since i like my self just fine..... i have no need to care what another thinks of me, my morale are mine my ethics are mine. if another dont like it? OH well

meet on face book here

Default forgot #21

there is way to much my way is better then your way so you should do it my way already.... ( see 1-20 )
    21. I try to avoid even coming close to misquoting another's post, or to the extreme, even twisting it to mean the direct opposite.... AND THEN POSTING AN ARGUMENT AGAINST that made-up-thing.

But, that's me. Just like the other 1-20. Just talkin' about me.

Good stuff man!!

Should be the standard automatically generated email sent to every newly registered member.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Good stuff man!!

Should be the standard automatically generated email sent to every newly registered member.
    Which version, FamilyMan or Vince??????????????
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Familyman's version of course.

The forum would be more healthy for it.

However, many will eventually take on Vince's outlook anyway. But it would nice if folks at least got started off with some manners

You know the old saying, "It is easier to lighten up, than tighten up"? A shorter leash would benefit many posting here.

I wish the mods had a "Time Out" button. Someone says something stupid or insensitive, they get wacked, then can't log in for 24 or 72 hours. A cooling off period if you will. But then again, that would cut down the community by 50%. Me included. ha ha....
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

i think thats why they take away rep... ? lol but i like your idea

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I agree with everything except for the rep points. I cannot give rep points because apparently I don't spread them around enough. I guess I am a rep point prude...BTW +1 FamilyMan of my intended rep points.
    That's what she said...

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

I wish the mods had a "Time Out" button. Someone says something stupid or insensitive, they get wacked, then can't log in for 24 or 72 hours. A cooling off period if you will. But then again, that would cut down the community by 50%. Me included. ha ha....
    We do, but if we use it very often we get called "heavy handed" or we are "abusing our power" and other lame comments...
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Can I borrow your "Time Out" button for a few months. The heated winter time threads are already showing up. I can ZAP them from 4,000 miles away man. Ha ha ha...

Thumbs up my reason for sharing Forum Decorum

The reason I wrote up the code of ethics I try to adhere to was not for me, or even for you.

A friend of mine that is a long time forum member shared with me again trouble they were having online here, and it was trouble that just shouldn't be, imo. That trouble clashed with my then-unwritten code. So I wrote out my code as a kind of a tribute to what I thought was right; describing a forum atmosphere where my friend would not be seeing the trouble they were in fact having.

My friend felt better having seen this thread created and its words said out loud. Mission accomplished.

After initially getting a little flak for posting this thread, I'm now receiving many kind words about it. That's encouraging. Now all we need to do is get Dan that "Time Out" button and we'll be all set.

Default Give me the power...

I am not to be trusted.

I would get drunk and start zapping folks for making typos, asking about bear spray vs guns, which rifle for Alaska, saying nice things about Obama, contradicting me, not giving me rep points, etc...

Really, the Time Out button is a powerful tool and could do great harm if it got in the wrong hands.

Think "precious" in the movie, "Lord of the Rings"

As for rep, I'll add that I generally only give rep for posts that pertain to our main mission here - that is the outdoors and related topics. I generally do not give rep points for posts in the political forum, as that's not what we're here for. I have made exceptions at times for posts that really contribute to the forum community, but for the most part I don't think it is appropriate to give rep for such posts.

The reason I wrote up the code of ethics I try to adhere to was not for me, or even for you.

After initially getting a little flak for posting this thread,

FLAK eh? well for something that is your decorum.... your sure quick to apply it on every response in the other posts...

21. I try to avoid even coming close to misquoting another's post, or to the extreme, even twisting it to mean the direct opposite.... AND THEN POSTING AN ARGUMENT AGAINST that made-up-thing.

But, that's me. Just like the other 1-20. Just talking' about me.
    yet when caught up in a friendly discussion of how people think and react differently, Then go and apply AND, make new rules as we go...

oh yeah see new rule 21, even before it was made;

furthering that by referring me to each of your rules it implied that i was to follow them also...
    see rule # 6
    6. Never use the word "WE" in your post, unless you also specifically itemize exactly who all you're speaking for. Otherwise it smacks of schoolyard bullying
    the use of the word WE should also include the use of the word .... YOU>.. if you are talking about yourself ... you shoulda said... I...

18. Proofread your post by using the preview button; and do it again, and again, until you have read your previewed post and have no changes to make; then post it. Spell as well as you're able to, except when intentionally using expressions or for a specific reason
    again a direct attempt at applying your rules to ME... as i was trying to ascertain with you in the begining... my rules are similar though have a differing path then yours... simply for we have extraordinarily conflicting thought process's between us...

the point being behind it all that ... even good intentions can bite you in the ass if you take them to far... the most well meaning people are the ones that have created many of the social Ill's we all bark about now... in fact i refer to those on the news shows all the time... you know the one's

those that have the shnoze hung over the neighbors fence complaining that your dog had his head tuned left while taking a dump on the right side of the bush...( you know there is prolly a law about that now)

i do a lot of well meaning crap too.. bites my ass every day... wanna read my email ? you see i provide a service to people that broke the law, and said they were framed...or i was not their fault... the cop had it out for them... and i deal with a system that is afraid to rock the boat... because some one has a shnozzle hung over the rail... telling them not to...

FLAK? i like to view it as differing opinion.. that makes this place run.. i already see enough nitpicking by members on other members maybe if every one just posted and kept it polite with out yelling about spelling or grammer or opinion.. there would be more post... if some one can not type. write or read well... they should meet YOUR standards... (YOUR being plural forum wide) or should they be allowed to post with out retribution from others for diligence in trying... only to run them off...

and steve....

NO i am not upset.. i just think differently.

Default I agree

... we have extraordinarily conflicting thought process's between us... ... i just think differently...
    Absolutely, yes, true. And though so different, we're still friends. Ain't that great?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast