Thread: Who regulates Waterfowl?

Default Who regulates Waterfowl?

I know there's both Federal Law & State law, but does the Board of Game determine waterfowl regulations, on state lands?

Thanks
    Marv

since waterfowl are migratory between any number of states, it is a federal issue rather then a state issue. feds determine the season and bag limits, states then can impose further limitations if they desire as long as within the fed limits. Feds require fed bird stamp, states can choose to have state bird stamp or not. example, me being over 62, state says I do not need state bird stamp to hunt ducks, feds require fed stamp and all must have it. seasons and bag limits vary between different locations/flyways and species. states must set thier regs to fall within the limits of the fed regulations. Bud

Default Thank you Blackdawg...

I ask this as I would love to see the plugged shotgun regulation temporarily suspended, & the reason I give for that is that the numbers of migratory birds are increasing...so much so that they're becoming a nusance in many urban areas for planes, & other items...

I completely disagree gogoalie....the reason we have more birds is in part, due to this restriction. The more rounds a hunter is allowed the more steel they can hurl hence the more birds hit the water (population decreases). Three shots is more than enough taking into consideration the time a bird is actually in range. 2-5 seconds at most. If you need more rounds to kill a cripple it doesn't take that long to reload and get off some more shots once the bird is on the water and not moving as fast. I use an over/under for ducks and geese and shoot just as many birds with 2 shots as my buddies do with three plus I can reload a lot quicker. All it takes is some practice and you can kill as many birds as you want. Shooting sporting clays can help you a lot. Getting many targets at many different angles and different speeds really helps. I try to shoot 5 stand and sporting clays a couple times a week in the months leading up to the opener to get sharp. 5 or 6 rounds is not necessary. Rounds 5 and 6 will most likely be used to kill cripples anyway. Again taking in account the amount of time a bird is in range it would be difficult to get that many rounds off and if you need 5-6 rounds to kill a bird that's in range then you need some more practice anyway also you better have a well paying job cuz that's gonna cost a lot of money....not trying to stir anything up but this is my opinion and observations from my duck hunts
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Default Ya know you just proved my reason...

in your statement that it'll decrease the waterfowl population, which is what some in DOT want due to the fact that many birds are causing nusance at or around airports...

So what you're saying is you are in favor of decimating the waterfowl population to decrease very few fatal bird/aircraft strike incidents? Just because waterfowl are concentrated in one area (airports, golf courses) doesn't mean the whole population is increasing. In fact while some species are increasing many are decreasing (blue bills and cans). Also measures are taken to mitigate bird strike hazards at airports and air force bases. I am familiar with the BASH (bird aircraft strike hazard) procedures at Elmendorf AFB and although it does happen, it does not happen that often and more often than not it is not from waterfowl. Taking the plug restriction away would devistate the waterfowl population. Add 2-3 more rounds for every waterfowl hunter in the nation and that is very bad news for the duck/goose population. Some species that are on the decline may never make a recovery. I have not done the research but I bet if you look at all of the bird/aircraft strikes in the US most of them would not be from waterfowl. I have seen a lot of bird strikes in my air force career and not one of them has been from waterfowl. I will agree with you that some of them do occur from waterfowl but this does not constitute removing the plugged gun rule and trying to kill everything that flies. There needs to be that resource for future hunters to enjoy and that is partly why this rule exists. Also there is a percentage of bird strikes that occur no where near the airfield but rather miles away from any established airport so maybe we should kill everything that has a set of wings to eliminate the problem.

Default Numbers

What the Airports have to do is get with AF&G and the City Council. Then they will go to the Feds if they have to and get a permit that allows the State to offer "within City Limit Hunts and Hunting.
    Many states have done this all around Golf Courses and Airports and more are adopting this form of management to alleviate the problem.

Not all geese and ducks migrate. They are referred to as "Locals" this was a major problem when I was in Kansas and the Midwest with the Central Flyway. We were allowed to hunt geese with bows at one point in certain areas(Golf Course) we also had to obtain a special permit to hunt them in the city limits to decrease the local waterfowl population......this can be done, but to just come out and say that we need to pull the plugs and bang away would be detrimental to the overall population we have tried so hard to replace since the early 80s...There are easier and more effective ways to do this.
    This is an example of what some council members in Indiana voted for. Many states have conducted hunts within the city limits. The City of Anchorage could probably take care of this themselves with the help of the local owners of the Local Airports.
    I know of one hunter on this forum who shoots birds out at Elmendorf to decrease the chances of a bird strike to occur…there are specific regulations they have to abide by and this is more Federally ran.
    Providing the opportunity for safe hunters to so the same within the city limits and reap the rewards would be great!
    Golf course goose hunts OK'd
    BY CHRISTINA M. SEILER
    News Editor, The Sentinel

The Rochester City Council escalated the war on Canada geese at Round Barn Golf Club at Mill Creek Tuesday.

Next up: gunfire.

The council approved 6-0 an amendment to city ordinance that will allow goose hunting at the golf course under guidelines set by course pro Lyle Lingenfelter.

He wants about five people to hunt and take the daily bag limit - police officers if possible. He believes they are responsible, knowledgeable gun users, he said.

Police Chief Jodi Miller said it wouldn't be any problem finding enough hunters. "The problem's going to be deciding who gets to do it. We'll have to draw straws or something," she said.

Default not for decimation...

but reduction...

Default Different Issues

After following the thread it evolved from who control the waterfowl regs to removing the plug restriction to managing waterfowl populations around areas where waterfowl are not wanted.

1. Feds are the boss, and state can impose additional restrictions. If good sound biology determines there are too many birds, then I would hope that appropriate management tactics would be implemented such as adjusting bag limits.

2. Plug restriction removal. I did just as well with my double barrel as I did with my plugged shotgun. I didn't have to spend as much money on shells with my double. I think the double barrel forced me to think more about my shots, so I was taking more efficient shots. So, I don't support removing the plug rule.

3. Waterfowl and airplanes don't mix, and they both lose when there is a dispute. When the airplane loses, sometimes people die. However, that problem is managed through other means which is probably a Fed/State/Local Goverment approved plan. As was pointed out, there are other areas where waterfowl are not desired. I suspect there is a process in which a landowner can work with appropriate authorities to manage those concerns.

Anyway, good points raised in this thread.

Default Airports and dux

Every Airport that I have worked at (many international airports including RDU, BWI, DEN, ANC, SEA, IND) each have their own animal assasine team......that would be a great job!

Here in ANC they have a couple people who can kill waterfowl when they see them. You can hear the shots some days from the ST or the NT.

Fact is - Airports already shoot geese and dux to limit them in the Airport's general vacinity.

If you want to see lots of geese at an Airport - Go look at DIA in a month or two or three...... It'll make you wish for oozie to take em out.

Default Fact is

I can assure you all that it's not, all killing all the time. There is a lot of non lethal things that are done to try and prevent the wildlife from being where they don't need to be. Lethal is used as a last effort. Thats mostly on waterfowl. As for large mammals, (moose, bears) lethal is only used in DLP. And all of it requires federal and state permits. There are numerous guidelines that need to be followed. Trust me it's not all fun and games, but you do get to be outside.

I've talked to state employees at the kodiak airport and know that fox, and deer are shot when they are found on the runway more often than people realize.

I didn't say anything about fox, and we don't have deer here.

the state BOG can do anything they want with regards to waterfowl, except increase bag limits set by the feds/state. they can decrease, but not increase bag limits.

AK Duckman I didn't say you did say anything about fox or deer, I was just stating that animals are killed in other instances besides DLP. I know fox aren't a large mammal but deer. I was just trying to provide some more information

Default Airport Bird mitigation

The reason for the bird populations in airport areas is because the birds have found the area to be safe, they will never get shot at there. The population is increasiing on some species, but the main problem is the airports havent completely used there resources to mitigate the situation. I am a pilot and know how you feel, but increasing the shot in your magazine is not going to help the situation.

I agree with you