Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45-70???

Default 45-70???

Hey everyone. Moving up soon and was curious as to a good all around long gun. I was thinking about Marlin's new 1895 SBL. Seems a good gun although pricey. Down here we use 308's or 7mm's to hunt our "big" game. But there is "big" game and BIG game. A good bear and moose gun is what I'm after. Thanks and any advice appreciated.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

308 and 7mm are just fine.. many moose and caribou as well bears are shot with those each year.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I figured for that for Caribou I might would need something with a little better reach on it like the 308 or 7mm, but didn't think it would punch a moose or big bear hard enough.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBound2010 View Post
    I figured for that for Caribou I might would need something with a little better reach on it like the 308 or 7mm, but didn't think it would punch a moose or big bear hard enough.
    and on that note... welcome to the forum....

you are about to walk down the long winter road of bullet placement, energy and size discussion that we love to have about every three months

my kids hunt moose with a 243, have shot black bears with a 243..

my oldest is graduating to a 30.06 from her 270..

a 45/70 is a great gun and able to do many things... good all around short range gun... i just sold off my guide gun not long ago. never used it.

anyway.... sit back enjoy the ride, dont take offense to some of the guys comments as they are a ton more serious about shooting then i am. ask questions... lots of them.... and they will all be answered.... it is going to boil down to... shoot what your good at, and be good at it...(coming from a guy that JUST missed a shot)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Utoh. I didn't open a can of worms did I? Hahaha. Yea my friends in MT shoot elk and such with 243 all day long. Thanks again and I welcome any opinions at all. I'm the rookie here. Whitetail is the biggest I've hunted. So I dumb in the large game aspect. Thanks

Default 2010

Vince gave you all the info you need! I have a few rifles my favorite by far is my 45/70 guide gun. Its killed everything from big bears to sheep, some at a lot longer ranges than some think possible. That said if I could only keep one it would be my 338 federal, and that only because Ruger doesnt make the 358 winnie in a left hand version! That IMHO is the best all around gun for us up in the north country. I will leave you with this leave the 243 at home!

338. I will look into that one. Thanks

338 Federal? No, thanks!

Default Alaska rifle

Only one! If I was limited to only one rifle it would be a toss up between a good quality 30-06 and a 338 WM. Problem is that I like to hunt lot and have several different calibers. We have used several different common calibers to hunt with from the 223, 243, 308, 30-06 45-70 and the 338 WM.
    The main things is to shoot what ever you are comfortable with and can shoot well. Shot placement is the main thing to work on.
    Good luck on coming 'north'.

Thanks. I wish i was there already but you know how that is. Thanks for all the input. I wish I could buy them all. I'm still debating. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBound2010 View Post
    Thanks. I wish i was there already but you know how that is. Thanks for all the input. I wish I could buy them all. I'm still debating. Thanks

oh it is just winding up....

but personally i would keep the 243. it is good fo many uses.. and get a 300 or an 06... (watch this)

the 338 is just too much gun for most folk to handle anyway, thats why it is on the swap and sell most the time looking for trades

okay NOW ask what ot use bear hunting

meet on face book here

I'm scared to ask any more questions. HAHAHAHA I agree on the 243 as a good all around git-er-done gun. I had a sweet Browning '06 that the good ole folks here in NC decided they needed more than me about 4 years ago. 300 win mag or weatherby? Much difference? Bear gun anyone? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    oh it is just winding up....

but personally i would keep the 243. it is good fo many uses.. and get a 300 or an 06... (watch this)

the 338 is just too much gun for most folk to handle anyway, thats why it is on the swap and sell most the time looking for trades

okay NOW ask what ot use bear hunting

Default bear gun

For bear you might consider the 22 hornet! It is used in africia by some to shoot cape buffs!

Oh Boy! Here we go. Hahaha. Although I have a friend that has shot whitetail with a 22 hornet. Ear shoot them or something.

Bring what you have with plenty of ammo.Use them here and then decide what suits you best

If I had to make one overall suggestion, I would tell you to look at the Weatherby Vanguard in 300 mag. I have owned two and these are great guns for the money. Invest in a decent scope and you would be in good shape for big game hunting in many situations. From the PM we exchanged, I would suggest you check out Hyatt's Gun Shop in Charlotte. Big large volume gun shop in your area. Been there a few times as I live about 70 miles east of Charlotte myself. I got one of my two Weatherby 300's at WalMart in fact. Under $500 from what I recall and a heck of a gun. If you handload, you can really dial them in (like any gun). I am shooting 0.5 MOA with reloads. 1-1.5" groups with factory ammo. This is nothing surprising, just pointing out that reloading would be worth looking at perhaps. You could get a lot done with a 300. Keep in mind flying up is no problem with guns, but if you are driving through Canada there are some issues with carrying guns. Not sure how you are going to Alaska, but something to be aware of.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yes, we go to 'HIGH'atts frequently. If we didn't know him we couldn't afford to shop there. He's pretty high but if he knows you, he'll deal. I have looked online and such about tansporting guns. I will ship handguns via Hyatts to a local ffl holder hopefully and the long guns, according to the border patrol websites of US and Canada, as long as they're pre-notified and locked up, I hope to have no problems. I'll have to drive up. YUCKKK. I still have some time to figure it all out but thanks a ton. I'll look into that weatherby also.

Hey man, you get ready to buy a gun and want a good price, check with Ed's Gun Shop. It is about 30 minutes east of Rockingham on Highway US 1 heading to Raleigh just north/east of Southern Pines. A 2 hour drive from Charlotte. He sells guns cheaper than anyone and folks drive there from all over to get guns. One example, I just priced a Henry Big Boy Deluxe in .44 mag. Retail is $1,999 and Ed sells the gun for $1,479! He consistently does this too. Before you pull the trigger (ha ha.. ) call Ed and get a price. Could be worth the drive for you. Talk to Carlos if you call.

http://www.edsgunshop.com/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I will give him a call. Thanks. I've priced the 1895 SBL from Marlin and on websites and other local stores and they're between 800-900. Larry Hyatt wants 1026. Of course thats before dealing, just an estimate of his prices.

Default Ordering or is SBL is in the store?

Early demand was brisk for these rifles and Marlin had some delays initially in getting them out. Are you looking at an SBL that's on the shelf? If so, great, but if not and you're moving in the near future, plan accordingly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast