Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp recipes. . ?

Question Shrimp recipes. . ?

Anyone have any good shrimp recipes? Bought five pounds from an outfit downtown today. . . two days out of the water somewhere down by Petersburg. Shelled one and ate it raw. . . sweet.

What's a good way to fix them without drowning their delicate flavor?

Boiled and butter?

If you have a steamer pour a can of beer and vinigar and a little water into the pan. Cut one jalopeno add it the pan to. Once steam begins I cut up two jalepeno's throught them in the top part of the steamer with the shrimp and a ton of minced garlic. Lastley I add old bay several times through out the cooking process. Each time I stir the shrimp up. They come out nice and spicey.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Steamed shrimp in the shell

Don't think it gets any better than just steaming Alaskan shrimp in the shell. If I am around a campfire I just wrap a few up in aluminum foil and set on coals turning once after about 5 minutes. They really don't take long to cook. I think utilizing the natural juice from the shell really gives them the best and sweetest flavor.
    If cooking in kitchen, just use a steamer in a small pan and steam in shell again. Take care to not overcook them. Just as soon as the meat turns white they are done.
    A little butter and garlic to dip in is good, but if you have fresh Alaskan spot or striped shrimp its not really necessary.The shrimp that I have caught in PWS are just too good to cover up the flavor with too much other stuff!
    Enjoy!!!

grill on the bbq with the shell on
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking Shrimp

1. Boiling and dipping butter is the best. Now though, salt water does a better job than tap water. Also if you let them sit in the refrigerator for 1-2 days before boiling they are a little better than right out of the box (ocean). Just get the water boiling and when they float on top they are done. A little garlic salt in the butter is great.

2. Boil as above and let cool enough to peel. Use a paring knife and slit them up the back and then shuck the shell slightly butterflying them at the same time. Dip into one beaten egg and then dredge in flour. Dip into the egg again and then into some finely diced coconut. Saute in a shallow pan over a medium heat until golden brown.

WARNING ***** Do not do around others! There may not be enough left for yourself!!!*****WARNING
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

before i left on my last camping trip, i diced some jalepenos, zuccini, onion, mushroom, cloves of garlic, and put it all in a foil pouch. along with the shrimp. just toss on the fire for a little bit, and your good to go.

if youre feeling a bit zaney, you could put a slice of lime in there too.

Default Frank's Tavern Shrimp

This restaurant has lousey slaw, good fries, plastic and paper service, but excellent shrimp. It is located in Linden, Michigan.

I don't eat a lot of fried foods, so it's a treat when I make this from my memory of days gone by. Go ahead and deep fry your catch in a quality oil with tempura batter. There's nothing special about that.

Buy a can of Coleman's hot mustard powder and prepare it as the dipping sauce. Our family used to bring it and prepare it as we waited for our orders.

There's something special about this condiment with fried shrimp! If you are into heat and flavor, this is the winning combination...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default hotnspicy

Fry them useing tempura batter when done soak them with franks red hot suace. Warms You up in a hurry. Just have a good Bathroom picked out if your gut dosn't do well with beer and spicy food.

Thumbs up skewered on the grill

One of my favorite ways is to skewer them and cook on the grill. I melt REAL butter and add Lawrys seasoned salt to it and brush it on the shrimp when I put them on the grill, when I turn them over and again when I take them up. I imagine that any seasonings you like could be used as well.

P.S. BBQing them shell on works best on a PWS beach
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Only one way for me!

Drop those tails, shell and all, into a hard boil. When the tails comes to the top, now pink, wait one minute and then quickly remove them. Immediately rinse them in ice cold water (a strainer works good) to stop them from continuing to cook (or they can get tough). After the shrimp get cold, put them on ice cubes.

Whip up a mixture of "hot" creamy horseradish (Beaver), catsup, red tabasco, and some fresh lemon juice, to your taste (I like it with a "bite").

Serve on the ice with the cocktail sauce as peel and eat.

I never buy shrimp if the heads are on. Hopefully they were removed. Removing the heads immediately after catching them keeps them from getting slimey and "fishy" tasting.

Default Buffaloe Shrimp

Peal them and Saute them in Butter and Franks hot sauce, only cook until
    meat is white (2-3 minutes). Use left over butter and franks to dip your bread in. Use equal amounts of butter and franks. No complaints yet.

Default Some Cajun recipes

Shrimp Etouffe

1 can of cream of shrimp
    2 cans of golden mushroom
    1 onion, chopped
    1 bellpepper, chopped
    2 tablespoons of minced garlic
    1 lb of peeled shrimp tails
    1 cup of chopped green onions

Saute onions, bellpepper and garlic in butter. Once sauted, add cream of shrimp and golden mushroom. Let cook for 45 minutes. Season w/ Tony Chachere's, Tabasco, salt and pepper to taste. Add shrimp tails. Cook for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Add green onions about 10-15 minutes before serving over rice.

Shrimp Jambalaya

1 10-1/2 oz. can beef consomme
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    1 seeded pickled jalapeno pepper, minced
    1 4 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
    8 tablespoons melted butter
    1 pound peeled shrimp tails
    2 1/2 cups raw rice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Place all ingredients in an 8-10 cup rice cooker. Do not add water. Turn on cook cycle. When cycle is over, keep on warm for at least 30 minutes. Do not attempt to cook in a smaller rice cooker or to double recipe when using an 8-10 cup rice cooker. Serves 6.

Shrimp & Mirliton (Coyote Squash) Stuffed Trout

6 lg. trout filets
    3 lg. mirliton (coyote squash)
    1/2 cup diced onions
    1/2 cup dried green peppers
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1 cup diced andouille sausage
    1 lb. 40/50 count shrimp
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
    3 cups bread crumbs
    1/4 stick butter
    salt & pepper to taste

Boil mirliton until tender, cut in half & remove seeds. Chop & set aside.
    Melt butter in medium sauce pot. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, thyme, bay leaves & andouille. Saute until tender. Add shrimp & cook until pink. Add bread crumbs until a stuffing consistency is reached. Season to taste & allow to cool.
    Cut pocket into the trout fillets, being careful not to cut all the way to the ends or through the bottom. Season fish. Mound stuffing into pockets. Place fish in greased baking dish. Dot with butter and bake at 400 for about 25 minutes or until fish appears done.

Sauce:
    1 large lemon
    1 pint heavy whipping cream
    1/2 stick butter
    salt and pepper to taste

Squeeze lemon juice into small pot & reduce over low heat. Add cream & reduce until thick. Remove from heat & wisk in butter.

Pour sauce over entire fish and stuffing prior to serving.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Thumbs up Never Boil

The best I ever did was peal & put them on a hot dog stick and cook over a camp fire on a PWS beach and dip in some melted butter with a slight flavor of garlic.
    Careful not to over cook, they cook fast! Every second over cook takes away from the sweet taste. I hate covering up an already super treat! With a Coronia

I prefer not eating doo-doo, so I always butterfly my shrimp. But I special order Gulf of Mexico shrimp, my favorite thing to eat on the planet! Anyway I cook them is super-excellent, but I prefer fried.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    P.S. BBQing them shell on works best on a PWS beach

Have to second that
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I head my shrimp from the pot into a bucket with brown sugar and cajun seasoning. The juice from the shrimp usually makes a paste, but if not add a touch of saltwater. By the time you get home the shrimp should be ready to BBQ on the grill. This is the best i have found.

Default Maryland

You need a big steam pot, fill half way with water, add your favorite beer, add old bay seasoning (up to you how much I load it up), put your shrimp shells and all in the basket, season with old bay again(you can never have too much old bay) do this a few times during the steaming process until they are pink.

AlaskaGray I need to try yours with the jalpenos sounds tasty

We ususally get some texas shrimps here. What I like to do is to get two pounds of fresh sea scallops and two pounds of 18-21 count shrimps.

Shell the shrimps and skewer with two parallel skewers, 2 shrimp followed by one scallop.

This will make about 10-12 loaded skewers.

Take a stick of butter, some lemon juice (about 3-4 tablespoons) and a dash of garlic powder. Melt the butter and mix the lemon and garlic.

Grill on medium and brush with the butter.

Crack open a beer or two and enjoy.

I've been looking through the list maybe I missed this one somewhere

Shell your shrimp tail wrap it in a half slice of thick cut bacon stick a skewer or toothpick through it to hold it all together. Slap it on a BBQ grill or weiner roasting stick over the fire. cook it until the bacon is done to your liking.
    You can also stick a pineapple slice in it.

P.S. teach your kids to take their own shrimp out of the shell or you wont be able to keep up with the demand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast