Thread: Moose/caribou combo

Default Moose/caribou combo

I am trying to put a combo hunt together and was wondering if I am wasting my time. Can you find good numbers together, or is it all of one and not the other? I am thinking of hunting in unit 24 or 25. I hunted the mulchatna herd 13 years ago and was not impressed with our aircharter. I would like somebody who had hunted in these areas to give me a heads ups on what I am getting myself into. can it be done? I am not looking for monster bulls but would gladly take one. I would just like to have a chance at both and have a good time. I dont want another site seeing tour again, I have already had two of them. Any info on air taxi for those areas would be great too. If you would rather pm me that works. Thanks for any help

Default don't look for too much...

pick one or the other and concentrate on that quarry.
    moose and caribou are not predictably found in the same areas in the same time frame.
    perhaps your needs would best be served by a trip at WACH, or a trip into gmu 17 for moose. one or the other is plausible, but both would require a great deal of luck... not to mention #600 or so of meat to be dealt with.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Good advice Dave. Plan a good hunt for one species and with luck you might run across a secondary species as well as the primary.

Quote Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
    I dont want another site seeing tour again, I have already had two of them.
    Want to be pretty sure of taking something home? Go for caribou at Kotz or the North Slope. Slim chance at a moose.

If you go for moose somewhere they're plentiful you might pick up a 'bou as an afterthought but how big is your freezer anyway?

Default Not so sure that I agree

I've been on a couple hunts where we have taken or could have taken both caribou and moose and on one occasion took several caribou, a moose, and a grizzly and this trip was originally planned as a float fishing trip with maybe a little hunting. There are plenty of areas that support all these species. A couple of friends of mine just went on a float hunt this past season and took several caribou, 2 moose, a wolf, and could have shot bears if they wanted to. Maybe you shouldn't count on that kind of success, but if that's what your looking for, you should prepare for it.

I am looking for all kinds of success. I have been there twice and have not seen what we were after. Are those units any good for either one? I would rather have a moose, but the rest of the group are wanting caribou. Thats why I am trying to find a happy medium. If those units are no good and you are willing to help out on a different unit please let me know. This will probably be the last trip my dad will be able to make up there and I really want him to get his moose and caribou, more the caribou. I just dont want to make it a site seeing tour for the third time. Thanks again for any more help.

Let's see, according to the others, you can have a good chance at one, but not the other. I'd say mostly correct, but there are places where you can have a moderate chance at both. Here's my pics:
    Unit 23- there are places where good opportunities exist for both. Gonna need to luck out and get a draw permit for moose tho, as your a non res I take it.
    Unit 22- subunits 22D remainder and 22E. Good moose, decent opps for bou.
    Unit 25- seems I've seen pics right here on this forum of guys who got both in this unit.

If this hunt is really important to you, drop the bucks in Pristine Ventures lap and let their fingers do the walking. Other guys seem to be happy with their service.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I'll second the advice for Pristine Ventures. Personally I think the best bet for a decent chance at both is a float hunt. There are rivers that up north that are possibilities for both.

so am I looking in the right direction for a combo hunt? Unit 25 is a place to start or is there a better unit to do it in? I would like to not have to draw for the moose tag. I will be happy with a legal bull for my first one and then go from there. Is it better to go with a flat rate on the air taxi, or has some of you tried the rent a plane by the hour and done well? Thanks for all of the help so far.

I agree that a float hunt would offer the best opportunity to successfully harvest both animals. By covering a good distance on the water you can transition between different habitats more easily. There are not that many places where you will see good populations of both animals.... Well not that many that you are actually legally allowed to hunt both... There are several trip planners that offer a fee based planning service and specialize in float hunts.