Thread: best 90?

Default best 90?

hi from BC!

I'm considering a re-power. I presently have a 60HP 2-stroke mercury (40 jet) on my boat. I'd like to re-power with something that has more power, and I'd like to have both prop and jet legs. My boat doesn't have a HP rating plate, but based on measurements, and using USCG ratings, I believe that the maximum rating is 90HP. It performs ok with the 60/40, but I'd like a bit more jam.

ETECs are $9 grand here new, and I can't find a used one anywhere. I can get a Mercury 09 90HP camp lease return motor for about 6K, with controls and prop.

I'm wondering if any of you have had experience using the four stroke 90 jets, as I'm concerned about the 400lb 4-stroke hanging off my stern, compared to the present 2-stroke 60 at 240lbs, or an ETEC 90 at 320lbs. My hull without motor weighs around 1100 lbs, fairly heavy for a 15' boat. Is a 90 4-stroke at 400lbs going to be too much weight, and would the ETEC at 80lbs less be that much better of a motor? I'm planning on putting in a small console and running 60% with prop, 40% with jet.

Default best 90

Let me tell you ,I love the 90 hp 2-stroke yamaha 3 cyl. its light 280 lbs and just about bullet proof, very echonomical ,has the oil tank built into the cowling so you have no tank on deck.yamaha has tried to discontinue this motor several times but the commercial fisherman have raised so much hell that theybrought it back,virtually unchanged for years, check it out you will be surprised.
    I'm considering a re-power. I presently have a 60HP 2-stroke mercury (40 jet) on my boat. I'd like to re-power with something that has more power, and I'd like to have both prop and jet legs. My boat doesn't have a HP rating plate, but based on measurements, and using USCG ratings, I believe that the maximum rating is 90HP. It performs ok with the 60/40, but I'd like a bit more jam.

ETECs are $9 grand here new, and I can't find a used one anywhere. I can get a Mercury 09 90HP camp lease return motor for about 6K, with controls and prop.

I'm wondering if any of you have had experience using the four stroke 90 jets, as I'm concerned about the 400lb 4-stroke hanging off my stern, compared to the present 2-stroke 60 at 240lbs, or an ETEC 90 at 320lbs. My hull without motor weighs around 1100 lbs, fairly heavy for a 15' boat. Is a 90 4-stroke at 400lbs going to be too much weight, and would the ETEC at 80lbs less be that much better of a motor? I'm planning on putting in a small console and running 60% with prop, 40% with jet.[/QUOTE]

I'd say the Tohatsu TLDI 90 is worth a look. Light weight, great efficiency, and pretty reasonably priced. The folks I know who have them are very happy with them.

thanks for your responses guys. It basically comes down to either a Merc / Yamaha 4 stroke 90 or an ETEC. That's what I can get serviced locally, and the 4-strokes are a fair bit cheaper to buy.

What I'm wondering is if there are going to be significant differences in performance between the 320lb ETEC and the 390lb four strokes. I'll probably be using both the prop and jet legs.

Default another vote for the yamaha

"Let me tell you ,I love the 90 hp 2-stroke yamaha 3 cyl. its light 280 lbs and just about bullet proof, very echonomical ,has the oil tank built into the cowling so you have no tank on deck.yamaha has tried to discontinue this motor several times but the commercial fisherman have raised so much hell that theybrought it back,virtually unchanged for years, check it out you will be surprised."

I also have a 90hp Yamaha 2-stroke, and second what was said before
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford