Thread: Palmer Creek Road in Hope

Default Palmer Creek Road in Hope

I was thinking of checking out Palmer Creek Road in Hope this weekend, drive down to Swetmann Camp at the end of the road for some small game. Never been there, though. Is the area heavily forested, are there places to find hare or ptarmigan? How is the road? Also, is it accessible in the winter time by a snowmachine, or is that area restricted?
    Thanks in advance
    Vadim

NO yes good yes and yes.......... hope that helps. Doubt if you'll make it to the very back, because of snow depth.

AGL4now,
    thanks for the answers. Is the snow already in Hope or just in the mountains? I was not sure how much elevation Palmer Creek Road gains, by the camp.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimb View Post
    AGL4now,
    thanks for the answers. Is the snow already in Hope or just in the mountains? I was not sure how much elevation Palmer Creek Road gains, by the camp.
    Not down to sea level, looks like about 200 feet above sea level. You should call the forest service and see if the gate is open, it should be, but you never know.

In case anyone is wondering, checked out the road this sunday, but one mile up, it was all icy, so we stopped there. Would not call it the perfect rabbit grounds, more like a ptarmigan/grouse area. The road is pretty steep, and quickly got above treeline. Would love to see it in the summer.
    Instead, we chased some rabbits just south of the Johnson pass trail, on the north side of the highway, under the power lines. Saw around 40, but only got a coulple. The snow was already on the ground, and very crunchy, you could see them getting spooke 30 yards away, which is far for a willow-thick area like that

I guess it's snare time now.