Our Pomeranian died this past week and my three boys are devastated. They are however confident that they want to find a new family pet in the next few months.
While the Pom was adored by the family we had an interesting relationship. Truthfully I never wanted that breed of dog but the little lady pretty much left me alone. I eventually got used to having her around, she came to me for a pat from time to time but never bothered me when I wasn't interested, she would just lay quietly at the end of the couch and grumble when I made her move by repositioning. Honestly I kind of miss the little fuzzball. The biggest problem for me with that dog was that it was a house dog. We live in ALASKA (the dog was bought in FL) so 90% of the things I enjoy the dog was not compatible with. Not her fault and for the other 10% of the time she was hard to beat.
When we bought "Itty Bit" we lived in an apartment in Tampa and had small children so a small mild mannered dog was key. Now we have 3 Alaskan boys who play outside constantly and are rough and tumble. I think our next dog should be able to keep up with them, or perhaps actually run them into the ground (good luck). I also love to hunt and so do my boys (at least the 2 oldest) so a pup that was able to share that with us would be a big plus!
I was thinking Springer but man are they pricey!! So far we are going through the process of elimination. Pardon me for offending anyone as it isn't my intent with this. We have eliminated Labs of any kind and Golden retrievers. A yellow lab bit my wife severely when she was a child and that has stuck, she wont have any "lab like" dogs. Obviously it is somewhat irrational but it is what it is so we will go from there. I also am not a big fan of Beagles, not sure why.
So the goal is to get medium-small dog in the 30-45 pound range. We hunt bunnies in thick cover and enjoy chasing Ruffies in similar terain so a dog that excells in that realm would be prefered. The dog will live in the house and MUST be great with kids. I would prefer not to spend a great deal of money on the dog though that seems like a hard thing to avoid especially if we want any kind of field lines. Well I am up for suggestions on breeds, and would appreciate any help you all could provide!
Oh is it too much to ask for "easily house broken"??