Thread: 600 Doo E-TEC

Default 600 Doo E-TEC

Any owners of the 600 E-TEC have any opinions of this engine yet? Power, reliability, economy, etc?

I have two. Fuel usage is almost identical to the SDI motor but oil consumption is way less. The oil consumption is crazy low. Side-by-side the Etec will run with the SDI up to the top and then it'll slowly pull away. The only down side is that all adjustments need to be made on a dealer's computer. I had one that needed a post break-in idle adjustment. Aside from that they've been trouble free. I really like the XP platform, too. They do have enough compression to warrant electric start for a wife or kid. For me? Starting is a half pull every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymac View Post
    Any owners of the 600 E-TEC have any opinions of this engine yet? Power, reliability, economy, etc?
    I bought one last year in the Renegade. I LOVE it. It's got great fuel economy, plenty of power, it starts every time in one or two pulls and is easy to turn over. It doesn't stink (after break in) and it's quiet. I have no regrets about purchasing the 600 E-Tec at all- so far it's been nothing but positives. Some riders will want more horses- the e-tec has 121. But for me, it's plenty, and when I push the throttle to the handlebars it will still try to dump me off the back. I've even pulled it up into a wheelie, albeit a shallow one.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thumbs up 600 Summit ETEC

Bought mine last March and i absolutely love it. IM not exactly a sled head and this is my first "new" sled. My sled weighs in at 425# so i have plenty of power to go everywhere almost as fast as the bigger sleds. Very easy to start; when i started it for the first time this year it took 1 pull and ran perfectly. Gas consumption is pretty low and oil consumption is almost NIL! Its quiet (which i like) and has very low emissions. I know snowmachiners are very opinionated when it comes to brands, but i dont have one bad thing to say about it. Matter of fact im contemplating buying another one so my friends or whoever i go out with doesnt have to deal with my old Polaris being so tempermental and breaking down (Arctic Man 09)
    Hope this helps
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    Bought mine last March and i absolutely love it. IM not exactly a sled head and this is my first "new" sled. My sled weighs in at 425# so i have plenty of power to go everywhere almost as fast as the bigger sleds. Very easy to start; when i started it for the first time this year it took 1 pull and ran perfectly. Gas consumption is pretty low and oil consumption is almost NIL! Its quiet (which i like) and has very low emissions. I know snowmachiners are very opinionated when it comes to brands, but i dont have one bad thing to say about it. Matter of fact im contemplating buying another one so my friends or whoever i go out with doesnt have to deal with my old Polaris being so tempermental and breaking down (Arctic Man 09)
    Hope this helps
    Let me know if you are looking for anymore friends!

Default Etec's

We currently have five of them, four summits and a renegade (mine). No complaints, we each have 1K to 1.5K on them. My wifes summit went from Big Lake to petersvillie and back without getting gas. I also have an 800 summit but ride the gade far more, except for Arctic man. You will not regret an etec purchase.
    P.S we did have one lockup at 200 miles but it was a freak thing, skidoo put a new engine in under warrenty

Default problems??

has anyone had any problems with the etech yet? by problem i mean something it had to go back to the dealer for to get fixed? when the one locked up at 200 miles did you have to bring it back or did you put the new one in by yourself? what caused it to seize up?
    just wondering becouse i dont live anywere close to a dealer.

roamak,
    Good questions. I understand that the engine is computer controlled, that you have to have a dealer plug it in to adjust fuel, air timing etc. The other side is that it seems to be very dependable. I'm on a fence about the 600 etec vs. a 550 fan.

Cool

im with jaymac. very much on the fence. i love the idea of better gas milage and oil consumption, but having to fly my machine back to town to have some kid tweek the computer to make it run.... well, im having a tough time with that.
    can i just buy the tweeking computer also

Just bought one today. I'm already impressed beyond my expectations.

Jaymac, sounds like you fell off the fence! hope it works out good. keep us posted on the good, bad, and stuff you dont want to talk about.

Maybe you should look for a an 08 or older SDI sled. We've got 2 '08 600 HO SDI Summits and love them. You an adjust the oil tank cable so it doesn't use quite as much, which is what I did and I can get about 3 tanks of gas on 1 full oil tank, give or take depending on how hard I am on the throttle.

I did fall off the fence. I had my head into a 2010 Tundra LT and was talked out of that by some old timer snowmachiners and my my wife. Settled on a 2010 GTX LE that is 50 lbs heavier but the rear seat removes for about 25 lbs reduction.

Not much snow here so I have just ridden a little so far. I'll give you guys a report when it makes sense to do so. The rig does seem to have a snappy response and all the power I want. The impression is that it "feels" very light to handle.

Default 200 mile lock up

The sled I mentioned that locked up at 200 miles, had bad crank bearings from the factory. Engine was replaced by the dealer.

i got to ride my 600 etec this weekend all i can say is it has power and i cant wait to see what its like when i get full power when the computer lets me i have no regerts