Thread: Delta trespass fees

Default Delta trespass fees

Ok so im intrigued with all the delta bison sucess. How much are they charging for a trespass fee? I assume Panarmics and gerstle are private lands? If you dont want to post the amount you can pm me. Thanks Hillbilly

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    ? I assume Panarmics and gerstle are private lands?
    Thanks Hillbilly

those are state farm land in the Bison range.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

As Vince mentioned, the Panoramics and Gerstle fields are public land. Success rates on public land are generally high for the first few days of the season, but once a number of bison get shot at they tend to move towards private land. They do seem to move in a large loop, though, so public land can be productive throughout the season - you've just got to be lucky. When I hunted it with a friend last year, we never were fortunate enough to see the bison on public land. There was sign, but it was always at least a few days old. Most private landowners charge a trespass fee of $300-400 if successful. There is some variation, but that's the average rate.

How is access on the Gerstle and Panoramics in the winter? Are there enough folks knocking down the main roads to drive trucks through there, or is it pretty much a snowmachine trip when the snow gets too deep? We are going back in early December and are considering bringing a snowmachine.

Default Thanks

Thanks brian. Im thinking about putting in for a tag. I know its really hard to draw but i would hate to draw one and then find out its not for me. Hillbilly

Default good thinking

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    Thanks brian. Im thinking about putting in for a tag. I know its really hard to draw but i would hate to draw one and then find out its not for me. Hillbilly
    I don't have any info on access, but commend you on doing the research before putting in for the tag. It seems that more and more people are justing putting in for tags, then deciding that it is not within their means to even try to fill the tag. Good on you, I hope you get drawn.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    How is access on the Gerstle and Panoramics in the winter?
    I can't speak to every winter, but last November it was still drivable. There was about 1-2' of snow, but there was a good drivable trail packed down through the Gerstle and Panoramics. As for snowmachines, the people I talked to who know such things said the bison run when they hear the sound of a snowmachine. We were advised to possibly bring one for animal recovery, but to not use it for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I can't speak to every winter, but last November it was still drivable. There was about 1-2' of snow, but there was a good drivable trail packed down through the Gerstle and Panoramics. As for snowmachines, the people I talked to who know such things said the bison run when they hear the sound of a snowmachine. We were advised to possibly bring one for animal recovery, but to not use it for hunting.
    When I was up there in November 2003 conditions were much as Brian described. Much more snow in March obviously and the Panoramics were not drivable.

I agree about the snow machines, the bison are pretty spooky and I would be really surprised if a person was successful in using one other than for meat recovery. Despite that, there were some hilariously elaborate rigs running around when I was up there - rigs with multiple snow machines and a few drums of gas. I didn't see any sign that they had killed anything.

At this time, the snow is negligible....you can drive anywhere.....we don't usually get a lot of snow here but the wind leaves some deep drifts that are impassable to all but snowmobiles.

Default Drawing tag

Research is part of the fun. It really irritates me that some people put in for hunts and no nothing about it. Then a week before the opener start asking questions expecting to be spoon fed the info to be successful. Thanks all for the info. Hillbilly