Hello, I'm totally new here but an old hand at bulliten boards. I've got a hundred questions about moving to Alaska but I'll start out slow by asking just a few at first about getting my truck up to snuff.
Here's the scoop:
My wife has already been in Dillingham for about a month and I will be joining her as soon as the spring thaw hits. I'm finishing up business here in sunny SoCal. My truck is a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 2X4. I know I have to barge it in, but that's about all I know. Here are a few starter questions:
I have WAY MORE questions about hunting, fishing, procuring bulk foodstuffs, etc. but for now we'll just start with my truck. Thanks!
- I already have a 1000 watt external tank heater installed because where I live (Fawnskin, Ca) dips into the +/-0*F range. Is that big enough for the oil pan as well as the engine coolant system?
- Do I have to have a battery blanket and/or tranny pan heater too? I realize the more the better, but I don't want to overdo it too much.
- What kind of engine oil should I use?
- Do I need special transmission/brake/power steering/wiperfluid/etc.? If so what?
- I'm kinda stuck with the 2x4 and I realize that it won't be of much help some of the time, but does anyone from that area have any idea just how useless it will be?
- What about tires? What kind; Do I have to have studs or can I get by with heavy-duty chains; If I have to have studded tires when can I put them on and when do they have to come off?
- What is the best transport (barge) company to use?
- Is there any thing else I need to know? (I purtty much think there is )