Thread: Dm 766

Default Dm 766

Has anyone gone in yet and if so what are the rivers like? Can you cross the Totat and Tat on Quad?

Default early

I have been on this hunt last two years always gone later in season with this years temps I would be careful. That can be a brutal ride on a quad I have done both and prefer snowmachine I also found quad limited by snow drifts. I went in 65 miles for mine and last year about 45 for my friends.
    This is not a day hunt and I would plan on four days to be sucessful. Good luck Brian

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    I have been on this hunt last two years always gone later in season with this years temps I would be careful. That can be a brutal ride on a quad I have done both and prefer snowmachine I also found quad limited by snow drifts. I went in 65 miles for mine and last year about 45 for my friends.
    This is not a day hunt and I would plan on four days to be sucessful. Good luck Brian
    Ive got 5 days. have both Snowmachines and 4 Wheeler. Not sure if there is enough snow for sleds or not yet. Just wondering if anyone has been past the rivers yet. And if so what kind of adventure I may be in for.

Thanks John

Default snow

There will be more snow back in the hills but it could be rough on the trail out, there I found quad was not the machine to use for this hunt do snow drifts stopping you. Last year there was a foot to 2 feet more snow back in the hill then in clear. Try a p.m. to Vince he knows a lot of folks down there and may have better info.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

About the same amount of snow there as Fairbanks... 2-3 inches.... i have one friend out there now i will get some info in the morning. i have not checked with him to see if he made it accross the river or came home.. we were all betting he would NOT make the crossing.. though last weeks cooler temps could have made enough difference... would you cross the chena yet? same temps... same cover
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey, thanks for the post.
    I drew for DM766 as well and any current trail condition reports would be really helpful... specifically how the river crossings are and what snow depth is like. I've only got a snowmachine to get in there on. Good luck and safe travels to those who drew! I appreciate any info/help posted here or via a private message, as this will be my first time hunting this one.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

ok as promised... all the way to gold stream on the rex in an Argo..the rivers crossed okay going out.. comeing back had to wade across and stretch lines to winch through the over flow... lost the trailer and had to wade acorss a second time. nealry lost the trailer to the flow ice.

not enough snow for sled unless you dont like the sled....

NOT one moose track any where near the hunt area.. 2 bulls at the Totat... but nothing else the rest of the trip.. he used an arctic oven to stay in and said that was definatly worth it out there..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey Vince!
    Wow.... that does not sound like much fun. Ugh.
    Sorry your friend had such an experience getting out! That's a bummer.
    thanks for letting us know though!
    I have an AO Tent and plan to bring it! But, seems like need to wait some hopefully for more snow and frozen rivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Skrat View Post
    Hey Vince!
    Wow.... that does not sound like much fun. Ugh.
    Sorry your friend had such an experience getting out! That's a bummer.
    thanks for letting us know though!
    I have an AO Tent and plan to bring it! But, seems like need to wait some hopefully for more snow and frozen rivers?
    i would give it a week at least if you could...

we hit 0 today for the first time.. things will finish freezing quick... plan on days... not hours for this hunt.

meet on face book here

Just wondering if anyone has been out the trail and across the rivers for this hunt recently? Thanks for any report/update on conditions!