Thread: Cowboy guns?

Default Cowboy guns?

Not being too familiar with the shops in Anch, can anyone tell me which shop or shops have the best selection of cowboy guns? Looking for SAA 45 long colts, lever guns, leather etc. Thanks!

Ya looking for real Colt SAAs? Or fake SAAs?

Default Both.

Looking for Colts, STI's (Texican), Ruger Vaq's, Berretta's, etc. Lever guns - Winchester, Henry's, Marlin, etc.

Default Great Northern Guns

has a great selection of real and repro guns, especially lever guns. 2929 E. Tudor, just east of Lake Otis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinak View Post
    Looking for Colts, STI's (Texican), Ruger Vaq's, Berretta's, etc. Lever guns - Winchester, Henry's, Marlin, etc.

Well I cant help you with the fakes but we do have one of the largest stocks of real SAAs out there....

Including the new Dual cylinder 45LC/45acp SAAs

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Well I cant help you with the fakes but we do have one of the largest stocks of real SAAs out there....

Including the new Dual cylinder 45LC/45acp SAAs
    How about a Blackhawk 45 Colt stainless? A bisley 5 1/2 preferably- convertible or not. Or possibly a BFR 454?

Blasckhawks I can get but we only stock .44s as a matter of course...you really want a BFR?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Blasckhawks I can get but we only stock .44s as a matter of course...you really want a BFR?
    I sent you a pm so as to not hijack this thread.

Sounds like you have the bases pretty well loaded for guns.

If you want good leather, see if Diamond D makes what you want. Really well made products at competitive prices.

If you're the least bit handy, you might drop by the Tandy Leather Store in Anchorage or check them out online. They've got complete belt and holster kits, as well as books and patterns and all the supplies for making your own from scratch. Especially starting from a kit, it's so easy I'm flabbergasted that everyone doesn't make their own leather gear. Here is a link to their page of holsters. You can't beat those prices, and that Cheyenne holster and belt is likely right up your alley. And $49!

Default Thanks

I will hit as many shops as I can next week while in Anch. Thanks for the Tandy tip BB. I do like to do my own stuff when possible. No worries Snyd. Always interested in the conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm flabbergasted that everyone doesn't make their own leather gear.
    Lets see some of your gear, then

All I gotta do is crank up the camera. Been needing to do that, so we'll see. Right now I'm making black powder shooting bags (possibles bags, some call them) and powder horns. Styles from the 1730's through about 1830.

Making your own stuff is addictive! This year I'm hunting with a rifle, bag, powder horn, knife & scabbard, powder measure, bullet board and deer calls I made myself. Casting my own bullets and balls too. Does it ever feel good to ventilate a critter with that gear!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Especially starting from a kit, it's so easy I'm flabbergasted that everyone doesn't make their own leather gear.
    I do make most of my stuff and enjoy it, started when I was about 10 and never stopped. But I know good work when I see it and am willing to fork out for other peoples good hand work. I can't tool worth a hoot, just don't have that knack, but I can do a mean hand tooled basket pattern (not with a stamp) when I want to. Been doing rawhide braid work for almost as long as leather work. I used to get $500 for a set of rawhide show rains but they take so long there’s no money in it even at that price, labor of love for me. Some guys sit around and whittle I sit smoking a cigar and braid when I'm stressed.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I do make most of my stuff and enjoy it, started when I was about 10 and never stopped. But I know good work when I see it and am willing to fork out for other peoples good hand work. I can't tool worth a hoot, just don't have that knack, but I can do a mean hand tooled basket pattern (not with a stamp) when I want to. Been doing rawhide braid work for almost as long as leather work. I used to get $500 for a set of rawhide show rains but they take so long there’s no money in it even at that price, labor of love for me. Some guys sit around and whittle I sit smoking a cigar and braid when I'm stressed.
    Hats off to you! I'm with you on the tooling. My late father was a master, but as we both know, the money isn't there to justify doing it for a living. Me? I might as well use a crescent wrench as a stamp on leather.

I admire great workmanship and buy it too, but there's just something about doing it yourself. Yeah, it's in my blood, but I'm still flabbergasted that so few people do ANYTHING of their own any more. Talk to the guys selling reloading, fly tying or rod building equipment. The ones I know say sales run more than 100:1 for premade, and they're all devoting less and less shelf space to the raw materials for the shrinking number of folks who make their own ANYTHING.

Sad commentary on a changing lifestyle in my book. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur but proud of it! ;-)