Thread: young beagle

Default young beagle

My 10 month old beagle could sure use a rabbit trip with an older beagle that knows what the game is all about. The pup is only 10 months old and shows promise as he gives chase when the bunny is in sight. He hasn't figured out that when the rabbit dissapears into the brush the nose not the eyes are supposed to go to work. I was hoping if there is someone in the Wasilla area, who hunts with beagles, that they might allow me to run my pup with his dogs. It sure would help his learning curve. Thanks.

Default Sorry I can't help you, but I can relate

We too have a young beagle pup. Our puppy is 7 months old. I am seeing similar results. I have taken her out a few times this year, and we have been successful, but I would say 80% of the time, I am jumping the rabbits. Occasionally she will trail one, and give up too early. She has managed to run a couple hare in front of my wife and I, but I think she just needs more experience. I think it would be helpful to take her out with a more experienced dog. I wish I could help you out, but I am in the same boat you are. One thing that I tried doing that seems to have helped a little, is I took the hide off of one of the bunnies that I shot, and played hide and seek with it and with her. This is how you do it.

Tie a rabbit hide to a rope and have someone hold the beagle by the collar. Drag the hide in front of the beagle and make sure she sees/smells it. Then carry it off into another room and/or out of sight of the beagle. Then let her go and let her find it. If she follows the scent, give her lots of praise.

Good luck,

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Rabbit hide and seek

I did that with our Lurchers but yet to go hunting. I don't know how to hunt rabbit. Does the dog grab the rabbit, do you shoot the rabbit? I've only hunted stuff you shoot in the air.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Linda

The dogs push the rabbits out of cover for you to shoot. Rabbits tend to try circling back after they run out. Kind of like lazy figure eights in their flight pattern.

If you have a few people you can place standers out in front of and to the sides of where you expect to flush rabbits. The dogs will push them out and if the standers don't get the rabbits the drivers have an opportunity to connect with the rabbits that come back.

If you only have yourself and a dog, then you want to work closer to the dog to get a shot at the flush, or to remain after the dog runs the rabbit out in hopes of the dog circling the rabbit back to you.

Occasionally the dog will catch the rabbits, especially longer legged faster dogs.